robc22

Mass. Shellfishing Thread

Rate this topic

443 posts in this topic

20 mins ago, robc22 said:

Sure.....You can pick up an inexpensive 3 in 1 gauge.........Quahogs are measured 1 inch on width, steamers 2 inches on length and oysters 3 inches on length........Razors and blue mussels have no length requirement........sea clams must be 5 inches and bay scallops just need to show a growth ring..............

QuahogClamGauge.jpg

54E4617F-47FC-46D1-8600-C44134296FDF.jpeg

CEC77FB6-A763-4ECD-BB23-8674D191D86D.jpeg

Just a thought but if I decided that I wanted to make some extra money here and there doing this where would I take the clams, and are there any other licensing requirements?

13 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

Just a thought but if I decided that I wanted to make some extra money here and there doing this where would I take the clams, and are there any other licensing requirements?

Commercial shellfishing is a whole other  box of seaworms

25 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Commercial shellfishing is a whole other  box of seaworms

Just did some research on it and you are right. Commercial harvesting is prohibited for non residents. 

I looked at some U-toob vids after reading your comments about using salt.  Very helpful.  (As were the "how to clean Razor Clams" vids.)

Do you "salters" ever use a heavy brine solution as opposed to salt crystals?  First vid that I saw showed folks using liquid in a squeeze bottle, which seemed to be both easier and faster.

Edited by Southcoastphil

13 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

I looked at some U-toob vids after reading your comments about using salt.  Very helpful.  (As were the "how to clean Razor Clams" vids.)

Do you "salters" ever use a heavy brine solution as opposed to salt crystals?  First vid that I saw showed folks using liquid in a squeeze bottle, which seemed to be both easier and faster.

Best bet is to use a garden sprayer.......U can get a 1 gallon sprayer at Walmart for 7 or 8 bucks.........Write razors or clams on the side and only use it for clamming........The salt solution is easy.....Keep adding salt to the water until you start seeing salt at the bottom of the spray bottle........That tells u the solution is completely saturated........By using the pump sprayer u can salt many razor clam holes in just a few minutes........After that just wait a few more minutes and the razors will start coming up.......some will pop completely out of the hole.....Other u have to give a lil helping hand too...........

b2d0a0f2-4402-4355-83dd-d21c8a91e76b_1.ca1606ca19f56b8b27e57ea693cf2ff9.jpeg

2 mins ago, robc22 said:

Best bet is to use a garden sprayer.......U can get a 1 gallon sprayer at Walmart for 7 or 8 bucks.........Write razors or clams on the side and only use it for clamming........The salt solution is easy.....Keep adding salt to the water until you start seeing salt at the bottom of the spray bottle........That tells u the solution is completely saturated........By using the pump sprayer u can salt many razor clam holes in just a few minutes........After that just wait a few more minutes and the razors will start coming up.......some will pop completely out of the hole.....Other u have to give a lil helping hand too...........

b2d0a0f2-4402-4355-83dd-d21c8a91e76b_1.ca1606ca19f56b8b27e57ea693cf2ff9.jpeg

I have lots of those on hand.  Thanks!

28 mins ago, heisenburger said:

Anyone mind pointing me into a direction where to do some recreational claming? Don't need exact spots. Not looking to burn, just need a direction for a first timer. 

Well what town are you digging in?

6 mins ago, heisenburger said:

I do a good amount of surfcasting by plumb island. Don't mind driving around the north shore 

Well shellfish permits are issued by town and none resident ones tend to be over a hundred bucks a pop..........You need to pick a town your most comfortable with and then do your shellfishing there........You can google which ever town ur most interested in and find the cost of their permits...........

Well that was annoying!
Went yesterday morning, filled up on massive quahogs in short order.   

Took longer to walk to and from the spot than to dig.   The big ones fill up a peck basket pretty quick!

Picked up a nice half peck of perfect sized oysters too.

The tide seemed to be a LOT lower than 0.7.  Seemed more like a minus tide to me!