robc22

Mass. Shellfishing Thread

Rate this topic

443 posts in this topic

Mass law allows towns to charge 5x the resident permit for a non-resident permit. When I lived in Bourne the non-resident fee was $175. Seems steep, but if you go once a month and get a full peck you pay for it pretty quick. If you go more than once a month it can pay off even faster. Just go to your local fish market and see how much you'll pay for a dozen cherrystones. 

It's been years since I have pulled on a rake, but I've got a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket so I think I will get my license this year. Maybe even go over to Chatham and get one too. Rob, we should post some pics of the old days in this thread! I'm sure you have way more than I do.

3 hours ago, mybosox3 said:

Thanks for the input, It must be what I'm seeing then. Are they harvested the same way? And, while I am talking to a savant clammah, have you ever harvested welks? How about Cockles? TYIA

I don't know if the salt trick will work on jackknifes........We use to harvest steamers using pressure from a water pump and we would get a few jackknifes mixed in with our soft shell catch. I also caught a few when I plungered for steamers. There ok but I would not go out of my way to harvest them.

The only local cockle I'm aware of is the blood cockle. It's called that because it is all red inside. I have been told they are edible but have never tried any. They are round, ribbed and covered in a fine hair. As a lad in England cockles were a favourite seaside snack. served warm and pickled in malt vinegar. I make a similar dish now using just legal sized fresh quahog meats.

I use to harvest whelks.There is a good market for them. We would also catch them as by-catch when bullraking quahogs or pulling bay scallop drags. Most towns have regs that ask you to leave them above the high water mark to die. They are ferocious shellfish predators. I would save mine and give them away to whoever was interested in them. Folks of Italian heritage in particular really loved them. Never hurts to generate a lil good will.

20246351_10211827668958527_2766115541830766749_n.jpg

3 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

I have been interested in doing some recreational clamming for a while. Where is a good place to go for the right gear?

thanks rob! 

I saw on the news 2 women mysteriously died minutes apart in separate incidents while razor clamming in WA state this week.  Sounds like they both drowned. I think they were clamming at night.  Razor clamming is big out there.  They harvest them with a metal tube on a t-handle called a clam gun.  I’ve watched them do it but never participated.  I’ve harvested them here on the NS of MA with the salt method which works slick.

14 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

I have been interested in doing some recreational clamming for a while. Where is a good place to go for the right gear?

Google KB white clam rakes and check out there catalog.......They make some nice gear.......They are in Marblehead ma but I have seen there stuff sold at local shops.........Call em they will be happy to set u up

21 mins ago, robc22 said:

Google KB white clam rakes and check out there catalog.......They make some nice gear.......They are in Marblehead ma but I have seen there stuff sold at local shops.........Call em they will be happy to set u up

Will do. Aside from a good rake and basket what are the essentials (gloves, boots, etc)???

You can also check out New England Marine in Marshfield. They have good stuff in their store and the guys in there are very helpful and knowledgeable.

2 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

Will do. Aside from a good rake and basket what are the essentials (gloves, boots, etc)???

A good pair of waders are a must I also have a set of knee pads i wear with my waders when I'm digging on my knees........They save and extend the life of the waders...In the summer months when digging steamers I just wear old sweats or shorts........Gloves are also a must.......you will need 3 different kinds depending on the fishing you do and the time of year it is.........

You can also check out New England Marine in Marshfield. They have good stuff in their store and the guys in there are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Double

Edited by jmarino1432

18 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

19 mins ago, robc22 said:

A good pair of waders are a must I also have a set of knee pads i wear with my waders when I'm digging on my knees........They save and extend the life of the waders...In the summer months when digging steamers I just wear old sweats or shorts........Gloves are also a must.......you will need 3 different kinds depending on the fishing you do and the time of year it is.........

@jmarino1432 Great website: seems like they have a ton of stuff. Wonder why I haven't heard their name before on SOL? Thanks for the tip.

@robc22 Knee drops on the beach? I'm ready...wooooooooooo!

13 hours ago, bradW said:

. Rob, we should post some pics of the old days in this thread! I'm sure you have way more than I do.

Hah! I have no pics of the old days.........I was too busy counting my money and trying to stay out of your dad's way!.........:wee::cool::shaky::laugh:

10 mins ago, troutworm said:

Speaking of necessary gear,no one has mentioned a clam guage,for measuring

your clams,this was a mandatory piece of equipment back when I Shellfished.

Is it still ?

Sure.....You can pick up an inexpensive 3 in 1 gauge.........Quahogs are measured 1 inch on width, steamers 2 inches on length and oysters 3 inches on length........Razors and blue mussels have no length requirement........sea clams must be 5 inches and bay scallops just need to show a growth ring..............

QuahogClamGauge.jpg