robc22

Mass. Shellfishing Thread

Rate this topic

443 posts in this topic

21 mins ago, robc22 said:

Buzzards bay has a lot of jackknife clams......related to but different than an eastern razor clam.........shorter and thicker in shell than the razor........Not as sweet but still good in a chowder!.........  

Pacific Razor Clam.jpg

Thanks for the input, It must be what I'm seeing then. Are they harvested the same way? And, while I am talking to a savant clammah, have you ever harvested welks? How about Cockles? TYIA

3 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Shellfish permits in MA are town by town, correct?

Yessir. Each town sets a rec quota and limit that they deem sustainable for their individual resource.

1 min ago, Southcoastphil said:

Must one be a town resident to apply for a given town's permit?

No they have non resident permits in Wareham and I believe most if not all towns

2 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

Some towns non resident fees are high enough to discourage you from purchasing unless you eat a whole lot of shellfish to deem worthy. 

Wareham is $120/yr

They're kind of a cool clam. I think the shell shape is an adaptation to aid in fast burrowing. They are sensitive to ground vibration and when threats approach can dig an inch down every 2sec or so. Called the "Ferrari" of clams.

They use the shell shape and expelled water to instantly liquify packed sand or mud around them into a tube of quiksand, which they power right through. I remember trying to dig down after them on the NS as a kid. The clams won almost every battle. Salt is the way to go for sure