robc22

Mass. Shellfishing Thread

Rate this topic

421 posts in this topic

Well I know there are a few of us that enjoy shellfishing so I figured heck why not start a shellfishing thread for the year.......

I went to Barnstable harbour today and harvested some razor clams........Razors are a lil outside my experience.......Growing up on the shores of Buzzards bay we had many kinds of shellfish but not razors

I've been watching you tube vids on how to cook them........I think they will make a great super bowl snack!

I'm going to cook them in wine, parsley and garlic........Hope they come out well!....... 

thumbnail.jpeg

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Great eating and bait as well Did you do the salt routine down the hole or fast dig them

I used a salt solution with a one gallon garden pump sprayer........Works great and is a very fast way to harvest them........

41 mins ago, oldgoat said:

Rob 22  Try them raw. When I grab them I just squeeze the shell half's together and bite off the head(meat) then put the rest back to grow.

Yep I shucked some raw while i was digging lol

I cooked 2 batches.......The first batch I cooked a lil too long and the meats got rubbery........They cook quick like squid!

The second batch came out much better.......

thumbnail (1).jpeg

We did a bunch last fall.  I tried to sautee them but put too many in the pan and by the time they alll popped yeah they were a little overcooked.

My favorite way so far is when I steamed them with some steamers altogether.  

1 hour ago, Intrepid95 said:

Damn, I had razorI'm leerys once and they were awesome, but I haven't been able to find them again since.  At the supermarket I mean, not in the wild.

The Asian market in Worc has them all the time.  I'd like to try them but I'm leery of buying shellfish from sources I'm unfamilar with.

Razors go for big money and to high end restaurants. Another comm guy I am friendly with brings out about 40lbs of salt with him every time he digs for em. Usually ends up with 4 or 5 bushels per tide.

Edited by jmarino1432

1 hour ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

Cool thread, I had no idea you could harvest razor clams with salt

The mixture is specially blended to insert into the holes and all you need to do is go around and pick them up:howdy: I love it when  a good plan comes together

1 min ago, Angler #1 said:

The mixture is specially blended to insert into the holes and all you need to do is go around and pick them up:howdy: I love it when  a good plan comes together

I've seen shells in Wareham but never heard of anyone harvesting them there. I love that plan on the salt... hmmmm

3 mins ago, mybosox3 said:

I've seen shells in Wareham but never heard of anyone harvesting them there. I love that plan on the salt... hmmmm

Buzzards bay has a lot of jackknife clams......related to but different than an eastern razor clam.........shorter and thicker in shell than the razor........Not as sweet but still good in a chowder!.........  

Pacific Razor Clam.jpg

wish we had them (or I knew where they were) down here.

we have some awesome quohog grounds here that I utilize, but no other varieties that I know of in my local bays (south jersey)