Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hook I

Catskill Fly Fishing Museum Fly Fest

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

the annual Fly Fest is being held this Saturday at the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum. Fly Fest is a relaxed tying event where people bring their vices and materials and tye flies.  You could tye, observe others tying, or just make the rounds and socialize.  This is always a nice excuse to get out of the house in the Winter and get ready for the upcoming season. I'm going to make it & plans were on fishing the No Kill Zone but the temps are really dropping today & tomorrow... wetting a line is just not me quite yet . .  

Details:
Fly Fest is held in the Wulff Gallery at the Fly Fishing Museum in Livingston Manor, NY.
Date: Saturday, February 3rd.
Time: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM (Stay for any portion of those times)
Admission: $5.00

I had a nice time @ the Fly Fest arrived just before 9am FYI the No Kill Zone was completely frozen & just about everything else , it was cold last night windy & cold today about 9 degrees , but inside its was nice & warm about  60 -70 gentlemen & ladies & a few onlookers like me . I felt it was a great opportunity to walk, look , ask some questions to some really talented people dedicated to the art . A Lot were tying for Charitable Organizations , Breast Cancer , Veterans to name a few there was nothing for sale here all donations   A lot of before my time pictures , writings , tools, equipment , rods & most famous Lee Wulff memorabilia. Knowing you can go back in time fish the same waters of where the Trout was born because this is the place ....out the front door . A donation of 5 bucks to the guild,  dollar raffle AND home made bunt cake , fudge brownies , german rum cake , cookies , coffee by a wonderful lady named Agnes who is the original gift shop employee BLESS her heart at 101 years old . It was great being with the guys from my Fly Tying club in the Hudson Valley NY good turnout by the guys .Its America at its best.  

patchyfog you know what I'm talking about 

Edited by Hook I

14 hours ago, Hook I said:

patchyfog you know what I'm talking about 

It's a little part of the world where trout, fly fishing and conservation was, is, and always will be important. It's a lifestyle. And it comes together at the Fly Fishing Center. The museum is one thing, but it's really about the community of people that surrounds it.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:20 PM, Hook I said:
 the annual Fly Fest is being held this Saturday at the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum. Fly Fest is a relaxed tying event where people bring their vices and materials and tye flies.  You could tye, observe others tying, or just make the rounds and socialize.  This is always a nice excuse to get out of the house in the Winter and get ready for the upcoming season. I'm going to make it & plans were on fishing the No Kill Zone but the temps are really dropping today & tomorrow... wetting a line is just not me quite yet . .  

Details:
Fly Fest is held in the Wulff Gallery at the Fly Fishing Museum in Livingston Manor, NY.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:20 PM, Hook I said:

Details:

Don't forget to go to the Roscoe NY Beer Co. My buddies son is one of the brewers! 

30 mins ago, Bass Whisperer said:

Don't forget to go to the Roscoe NY Beer Co. My buddies son is one of the brewers! 

When the season starts & I stay over night I'll make the front door for sure , I just need a good wheel man ! 

23 mins ago, Hook I said:

When the season starts & I stay over night I'll make the front door for sure , I just need a good wheel man ! 

I'll handle the driving!

:howdy:

I have stayed in that palace next door a few times,.... and bought some beer on the way home. I did several single day runs in 2017, coffee and diet coke all the way home. 

Chuck,

Research - 2018 Roscoe, NY  Antrim Lodge 

The Antrim Lodge may be open this season in Roscoe!  Caught my first big brown trout in  Downsville, NY on the East Branch of the Delaware River. It weighed 8 Lbs., 7 Oz’s  and I dragged it into the bar of the Antrim Lodge to brag about it..

This was in the 1970's. Jerry Kenney, the NY Daily News Outdoor writer was at the Bar and admired my catch and suggested we drink to my prowess as an angler for landing such a large trout.  I ended up spending the night with that crowd. After the 2nd martini Kenny suggested we have it for dinner.  We did!  Six of us, if I recall.  Slept in a little room with a twin bed and a Pitcher of water and a wash basin. The shower was down the hall. $35.00 for the night. Someone in the crowd paid fort he dinner.

I did the right thing before I went all in with the drinking crowd. Call my wife and told her I'm taking a room at the Antrim   Lodge.   I bumped into Jerry here and there during future fishing trips to fish the Downsville Resevoir  at Cat Hollow Cove where I kept a 14 foot  alum. flat bottom boat.  Jerry died in 2003.  I met his wife, Alex Kenny, at a NY State Striped Bass Tournament for Outdoor Writers in at the Cornwall on Hudson Yacht Club in 2005.  She took over Jerrys Column and carried on his legacy. I had a Weekly Column for Nor'east Saltwater Magazine at the time. 

Edited by RJ

12 hours ago, RJ said:

Chuck,

Research - 2018 Roscoe, NY  Antrim Lodge 

The Antrim Lodge may be open this season in Roscoe!  Caught my first big brown trout in  Downsville, NY on the East Branch of the Delaware River. It weighed 8 Lbs., 7 Oz’s  and I dragged it into the bar of the Antrim Lodge to brag about it..

This was in the 1970's. Jerry Kenney, the NY Daily News Outdoor writer was at the Bar and admired my catch and suggested we drink to my prowess as an angler for landing such a large trout.  I ended up spending the night with that crowd. After the 2nd martini Kenny suggested we have it for dinner.  We did!  Six of us, if I recall.  Slept in a little room with a twin bed and a Pitcher of water and a wash basin. The shower was down the hall. $35.00 for the night. Someone in the crowd paid fort he dinner.

I did the right thing before I went all in with the drinking crowd. Call my wife and told her I'm taking a room at the Antrim   Lodge.   I bumped into Jerry here and there during future fishing trips to fish the Downsville Resevoir  at Cat Hollow Cove where I kept a 14 foot  alum. flat bottom boat.  Jerry died in 2003.  I met his wife, Alex Kenny, at a NY State Striped Bass Tournament for Outdoor Writers in at the Cornwall on Hudson Yacht Club in 2005.  She took over Jerrys Column and carried on his legacy. I had a Weekly Column for Nor'east Saltwater Magazine at the time. 

After almost 50 years on salt beaches , the desire of the NY Catskills streams have my attention strongly . The change will be great especially the history that goes along with the challenge . 

10 hours ago, patchyfog said:

The Antrim...what a place. It's gonna reopen, with a $6million renovation.

http://www.recordonline.com/news/20180109/famed-antrim-lodge-of-sullivan-county-getting-new-life

It won't be $35 / night anymore. Although if you run a business up there you are catering to fly fishers and hunters mostly, so rooms can't be Four Seasons.