On eating perch

Rate this topic

PKDavis

2 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

gantz88 that looks bomb...sashimi in my book, but with the onion, capers, lemon understand the carpaccio reference (bet drizzled with white truffle oil would add an interesting taste?), spring fish head soup, & simple fried headless gutted. Very inspiring dishes thanks for sharing.  

Perch sashimi was also very good. For the carpaccio I just use olive oil but you can try other things. No doubt perch would make good ceviche as well.

1 hour ago, Uncle Stu said:

Any concern at all eating raw perch, with parasites etc? I think they recommend freezing your salmon before eating it raw... I dunno. But if it's safe, I'm going for it!

The buttery texture of perch makes for good sashimi; however, that very texture also makes for mushy results when cooked.  Dunno if your wife is Chinese or not.  If so, you may want to ask her side of the family about the science behind the process of making fish balls or fish paste and how it alters the structure of the protein.  Definitely tightens things up a bit.

2 hours ago, gantz88 said:

Haven’t spotted any worms in them though it doesn’t hurt to freeze it first. There could be some but nothing like what I’ve seen with striped bass and halibut. I just ate mine raw without freezing them. 

They have worms in them and just because you can't see the parasites, doesn't mean they are not there. All fish planned to be consumed raw should be frozen below -4 F for about 3-5 days. Not a lot of people realize this, but all sushi grade fish served in sushi restaurants are flash frozen fresh down to this temp. as required by law, if the fish is to be considered "sushi" grade and acceptable to be consumed raw and sold as such. Most parasites will only give you a tummy ache, but some can cause you to get sick, very rarely are the parasites able to survive long in a human host.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 3:18 PM, Linesideslayer said:

They have worms in them and just because you can't see the parasites, doesn't mean they are not there. All fish planned to be consumed raw should be frozen below -4 F for about 3-5 days. Not a lot of people realize this, but all sushi grade fish served in sushi restaurants are flash frozen fresh down to this temp. as required by law, if the fish is to be considered "sushi" grade and acceptable to be consumed raw and sold as such. Most parasites will only give you a tummy ache, but some can cause you to get sick, very rarely are the parasites able to survive long in a human host.

2nd the motion on eating raw fish.  I work in the food industry and all fresh fish that is for sushi is Flash Frozen to kill any potential bacteria or parasites.  If I decide to eat a fish I catch I always freeze the portions I vacuum sealed in my freezer for at least 3-4 days as it is not as quick as a flash freeze. I do love me some fresh ceviche but not until I have frozen the portions myself. 

15 hours ago, norcalkat said:

2nd the motion on eating raw fish.  I work in the food industry and all fresh fish that is for sushi is Flash Frozen to kill any potential bacteria or parasites.  If I decide to eat a fish I catch I always freeze the portions I vacuum sealed in my freezer for at least 3-4 days as it is not as quick as a flash freeze. I do love me some fresh ceviche but not until I have frozen the portions myself. 

I feel you still need to be careful on this practice, there is a huge difference in flash freezing fish in a certified -80F. freezer and a home freezer that is running just below 32F.   From what I understand, certain parasites (in a cyst form) can just go dormant and not be killed unless frozen to extreme temps.   Still probably better then noting.   Freezing in dry ice would be another option though to get that extreme low temp flash frozen effect. 

Be the chimp, not the frog.....

4 mins ago, Surf Hunter said:

I feel you still need to be careful on this practice, there is a huge difference in flash freezing fish in a certified -80F. freezer and a home freezer that is running just below 32F.   From what I understand, certain parasites (in a cyst form) can just go dormant and not be killed unless frozen to extreme temps.   Still probably better then noting.   Freezing in dry ice would be another option though to get that extreme low temp flash frozen effect. 

Yeah thats kinda nutty...at that point hope my body can break it down.  The way things have been locally at times , kinda iffy about eating certain local fish.  Def not trying to eat some of the older fish.  

2 hours ago, norcalkat said:

Yeah thats kinda nutty...at that point hope my body can break it down.  The way things have been locally at times , kinda iffy about eating certain local fish.  Def not trying to eat some of the older fish.  

Eating Fish ! What happened to C&R ?????

Two things in life I love. Fishing, and looking at the wives pictures on the milk Carton

On 2/15/2018 at 0:41 PM, gantz88 said:

Haven’t spotted any worms in them though it doesn’t hurt to freeze it first. There could be some but nothing like what I’ve seen with striped bass and halibut. I just ate mine raw without freezing them. 

Ganz has a special dipping sauce.

worms.jpeg

Two things in life I love. Fishing, and looking at the wives pictures on the milk Carton

Despite good viz and plenty of small/medium blues out I couldn't find any nice Lings to shoot on Sunday.

BlueSchool.jpeg.25ddd4c1a51f3166dc477952f1f1aca0.jpeg

Didn't feel the need to shoot a bunch of rockfish so just took one blue, one olive, and a chunky pile perch to try it sashimi (inspired by this thread lol).

Blue.jpeg.40b9b6a9b61e5cb83a71bbe06a5ad982.jpeg

Olive.jpeg.c7dc389840e205bc61f72cacfd62e6be.jpeg

PilePerch.jpeg.0edf5c88873a8c03b13f9809ae04cf52.jpeg

Ate half of the perch with my dive buddy Bryan after it chilled on ice in the cooler for an hour or so and we were both very impressed with texture and taste.

PerchSash.jpeg.6b03fe8b174c37a2b56e175948dbb0a9.jpeg

I gifted him the other half and the two rockies...he is unemployed so really enjoys having a few fresh fish to eat.

Yes, I know I can get worms and get sick and die from eating raw fish.

: )

Sincerely,

Jim

I caught thousands of them in Nor Cal over the years but ate very few. the ones I did eat where filleted and deep fried and like you said where OK. But we use to target mostly flounder(starry) for eating. Rock fish like Red Snapper Cabazon and lingcod was our favorites. The last five years that I lived in the Bay Area I didn't eat any fish that I caught(strictly C&R :)

Dan, guys like you are an inspiration to the rest of us. I admit that I eat lots of perch but I release WAY more than I kill. That said-- I wonder how the populations are trending? 

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. 

• 1 month later...