AdamHJeep

Need advice on February 1.5 or 3 say freelance out of san diego

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Looking for some advice for an east coast guy booking a 1.5 or 3 day trip in the next 2 weeks.    I got free airfare (points from work) so all I need is the charter and uber to the boat.

I have read alot of the recommended setups on the sportfishing pages. Here is what I plan on bringing so far...

(Light setup for light casting iron) A Nomad boat spinning travel rod medium power 7ft (20-40lbs) with a Saragosa 10k spooled with 360yds 50lb braid. 

(Medium setup for live bait and heavier iron / yoyo) My Andros 7ft med power jig rod (65-120lb braid and 130 to 270 gram lure)  with my new Tesoro 12s star drag spooled with 330yds 65lb Jerry brown and a 60yds of 40lb topshot.

(Medium heavy setup) My Andros 7ft MH jig rod (80-150lb braid 170 -320 gram lure) with a Cortez CZ-55w spooled with 400yds 50lb mono. Is this ok for the up to 60lb bluefin they are getting now?

Otherwise im debating on buying the new Accurate BV-800 to bring instead of the cortez.  Would spool with 500yds of 100lb hollowcore and a 50 or 60lb topshot. Same MH rod.  

What yall think?  I know its not true to form but I can't bring an 8 or 9ft callstar with me or back home... are they (8ft plus deckhands rod) really necessary?

Nothing like short notice. lol  Your going to have to look at boat schedules. Shogun has a 3 day on Feb 2 with 9 spots open. You should be fine with your gear but it sounds like the will be looking for YT in the Colonett area and South

So I am planning on the Wednesday to Friday HM Mustang freelance trip this week.  The weekend trip landed limits on bluefin up to 45lbs.  Talked to them today but noone is booked to go yet.  I have flights scheduled but can cancel so ill wait until wednesday morning to book or cancel flights.

Debating on getting the Boss Valiant 800 as a treat to myself... 

Any opinion on the Mustang out of H$M? 

Decided to just do a 1.5 day to get my feet wet for now.

How does the tipping work for the mates and for fileting your catch?   Is Beer available on the boat?

Lastly I need to bring my catch back any recomendations?  I was planning on just buying a cheap cooler to fit it (Styrofoam perhaps).  I could bring my vacume sealer as its pretty travel friendly.  Is there dry ice available locally?

On 1/29/2018 at 1:05 PM, AdamHJeep said:

So I am planning on the Wednesday to Friday HM Mustang freelance trip this week.  The weekend trip landed limits on bluefin up to 45lbs.  Talked to them today but noone is booked to go yet.  I have flights scheduled but can cancel so ill wait until wednesday morning to book or cancel flights.

Debating on getting the Boss Valiant 800 as a treat to myself...  You won't really need it, unless you get into 100+ lb fish, which is not likely. The gear you have is good.

Any opinion on the Mustang out of H$M?  It's decent. If it was me, I'd jump on the New Lo-An out of Pt Loma, or the Pacific Queen out of FIshermans

Decided to just do a 1.5 day to get my feet wet for now. Smart.

How does the tipping work for the mates and for fileting your catch?  They'll typically charge you for cleaning your fish, and if you caught fish and had fun, then give them more $$, that is customary and appreciated.

Is Beer available on the boat? Yes

Lastly I need to bring my catch back any recomendations?  I was planning on just buying a cheap cooler to fit it (Styrofoam perhaps). That should work, as long as you can fit some ice packs in it and close it up good with tape.  I could bring my vacume sealer as its pretty travel friendly. YIf you can manage it, then yeah, vac sealing is going to keep your fish fresher, longer. Is there dry ice available locally? Check the airline, as I don't think most carriers allow it.

20 mins ago, BirdDog said:

Thanks!  Was just looking at the New Lo Ann as they have sn exact same trip that is def running tomorrow.

I am all set and packed.  Only thing I an missing is casting irons and flatfall jigs.  Can get them local so I am stopping at the Fishermans tackle shop to get whatever is bitting.  Any other tackle tackle shop recomendations?  I land at 4pm so ill have some time to stop on the way to the boat.

Posted (edited)

5 mins ago, AdamHJeep said:

Thanks!  Was just looking at the New Lo Ann as they have sn exact same trip that is def running tomorrow.

I am all set and packed.  Only thing I an missing is casting irons and flatfall jigs.  Can get them local so I am stopping at the Fishermans tackle shop to get whatever is bitting.  Any other tackle tackle shop recomendations?  I land at 4pm so ill have some time to stop on the way to the boat.

The tackle shop at Fishermans Landing has everything you need...and much more. They'll know the current fish situation and will give you recos. And they won't sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need.

Have a great trip !

Give us a quick report .

Edited by BirdDog

10 mins ago, BirdDog said:

The tackle shop at Fishermans Landing has everything you need...and much more. They'll know the current fish situation and will give you recos. And they won't sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need.

Have a great trip !

Give us a quick report .

Will do!

25 mins ago, BirdDog said:

Have a great trip !

Give us a quick report .

Any reason you recommend the New Lo Anne?

On 1/30/2018 at 11:38 PM, AdamHJeep said:

Any reason you recommend the New Lo Anne?

Yeah, I like the crew. Markus, Adam, Jay...all very good, and I used to deckhand on the NLA many years ago. Final reason, which is not necessarily tangible, but that boat is just fishy. 

Ok guys thanks for all the input!  Just got back and heres my report.

Decided after recommendations to go on the New Lo-Ann out of Point Loma.  We steamed about 100 miles south and got on a deep school around 6am.  Slow morning bite but landed 1st fish at about 9am i think.  Followed by 6 more till 11am.  Lost about 4 -6 i think.  All fish landed were 17-45lb class.  Saw some really big ones boil off the bow a half mile off in the am wich was a cool site.  We moved on after 1230 and went looking but pretty much busted out the rest of the day. No signs of bait or birds all day. Stopped at 3 seemingly promising kelps but nothing. Got 1 small yellowtail on the troll but that was all she wrote. Weather was cool in morning to mid to upper 60s when the sun burned the morning clouds off.  Not sure of water temp. Bait was better than average from what others said.  That can be a deal breaker too.  Also we were the only boat out at all so we were on our own for finding them.  Last weekend saw a bluefin limit on the Mustang but Captain said that was due to 3 previous boats fishing that spot and bringing them up.  By the evening the last to stop hit the lotto with 42 landed.

Captain Adam and Crew was fantastic but the food was out of this world!  New cookie Kenny is on for the season and hes got 15 plus years on long range so we ate like kings!  Eggs benny in the morning, braised pork tacos for lunch, and steaks teriyaki over rice for din din.  Word is if that stays that way this will be a high class 1.5 dayers for sure.  Boat is awesome with a super wide beam and real comfortable to fish.  We had a load of 20 though so 32 could be crowded especially for your tackle gear bag or box on the deck risers.

Passengers were some of the nicest coolest people i have ever met.  So helpfull and friendly with advice, jokes, and tons of laughs.  They all were amazed i was on a 3 day flight turn around from Baltimore. Although I didnt get bit I learned a ton and upped my confidence for sure.  They loved my playlist on my UE roll speaker so we rocked out the whole afternoon shooting the ****. Never imagined making such great new freinds that are really into staying connected.  A great guy Scott was awesome enough to offer me his 17# bluefin as he is still loaded from the great fall to early winter bite so I didnt come home empty handed either! My new freind Justin landed 2 bluefin and grabbed the yellowtail on the troll.  Captain Adam hooked 2 i think as well and handed off to one of the 2 ladies on the boat and the other caught 1 too.

My gear worked great and traveled even better.  I learned a few things especially with really finicky bluefin.  Light is the best when they are picky.  I think 4 or 5 were on live bait 20-25 lb flouro and the others were on 160g flat falls the rainbow colored.  I missed my andros 5nii which would have been perfect as a 20# setup.  As it sits my 40# topshot and 30# flouro leader were too big i guess to get bit and by the time i learned to switch no more opportunity presented itself.  The 45# was landed on a trinidad 12 with 30 braid, 20 mono top, and 20 blackwater flouro! Also hooks were super small!  I used a ringed mustad size 1/0 but the size 2 was what is needed if they are real picky.20180201_172111.thumb.jpg.7fc9d80f47db5f0af47fdfcfb04f7c59.jpg20180201_172257.thumb.jpg.09130997ceb1c60aa2974adfe2938ee0.jpg20180201_172417.thumb.jpg.c11120568bca14f7b75b7680f97d5b40.jpg20180201_185147.thumb.jpg.331afabda0109666bc8095b759881129.jpg20180202_060949.thumb.jpg.1bad22c817ba5a332213347c3c479fb9.jpgphoto3.jpeg.1355382b2756f7aba588cdbe04fdf258.jpeg

Tight lines

Lastly I even decided to go back out on the Colonet 1.5 day last night but a flu sick family brought me home.  Heading back in march maybe.

Hey Adam,

Great report man. Glad you had a good time. If you're thinking about a trip in March, give me a heads up as I'm looking at fishing Colonet then too.

Jon