BrianBM

Nighttime Flies for Florida

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Credit Anton58 with asking a question that I haven't seen before, in the Clousers thread.  I think it deserves a thread of its' own.

I suspect you can fish shadow lines around bridges and piers with much the same profit as in the northeast, but I don't know that from experience.  Let's hear from those of you who have done this.  

I have only fished a few times well into the dark and I did catch Snook but I did not use anything that I did not use during the day so I am not the best one to claim I know a lot about it. 

The one thing I would put more stock into is that the Snook do seem to feed a lot better at night during full moons because the bite always seems to slow down during the days that follow during that period. Again I think that the same daytime flies would work equally as well since most of the fishing is done in shallow water.

I would say size would also make a difference, think bigger.

I have a complicated relationship with the sun, so I prefer to fish at night. The rules don't really change so much, but I use an awful lot of white flies. Depending on what you're doing, you can usually get away with bigger profiles. Snook, tarpon, and seatrout get a little more opportunistic, and heavier leaders and sloppy casting are more easily forgiven. Other than  thar it's just like fishing in the daytime only the bugs are worse and you can't see.

Thanks - what got me thinking about this was from some of the opinions over on the surf fishing thread where those that fish plugs seem to favor lighter colors during the day and darker colors at night - so, I didn't know if the same would hold true for fly fishing? I'm not planning on any late, late night fishing, mostly after sunset for a couple of hours and then before sunrise. I think i'll pick up some darker colors in addition to the lighter colors I have now and experiment a little bit with both to see if there is any noticeable difference!

I would also think that, especially during the summer, it would be cooler at night rather than in the blazing sun during the day.

The one thing I did forget to mention is that I think as with Stripers the same holds true for Snook and that is the hour or so before sun rise and again before sunset sometimes can be terrific, we always called it the magic hour. The biggest issue I find with that is always being around for both of them on the same day. If I had to pick one over the other it would be hard. 

Dick

I eventually solved that conundrum by fishing one hour before sunset and then   right through to dawn and sleep during the rest of the day.

It is tough doing dawn and dusk especially if long walks are involved to.

I like fishing at night but I know lots of guys don’t. I must be  a little Like Local 66.

Anton I fell into the trap of believing that night time we should use darker flies because that was what was bouncing around on the net and in books.

I found that was not necessarily true. It is very worthwhile challanging any kind of statements like this and it is so easy to do. Just do it. You do not need anyone’s permission to dig your own ditch.

mike

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Dick

I eventually solved that conundrum by fishing one hour before sunset and then   right through to dawn and sleep during the rest of the day.

It is tough doing dawn and dusk especially if long walks are involved to.

mike

mike

This used to be a life style for me, now I do the bankers hours for the most part. I think one of the things is at our age when we frequently get up a couple times during the night I now just take advantage of that and after I go, then I go fishing to catch the sunrise action. On a good day I still make it to the dusk hours especially in the fall when the days get much shorter and the sun comes up later and sets earlier :).

Edited by bonefishdick

You know what Dick I am moving that way myself these days if I am totally honest with you.

On extended trips I used to burn the candle at both ends and by day three turn into a barely walking Zombie.

Now I even forgive myself and take the odd day off.

But I still resemble a Zombie.

The fall your so right it’s so kind with late light and early dark.

Got to be thankful for that.

Might see you at a Dunkins this spring with a bit of luck if not on the beach. I always mean to get up to,some of your favourite stomping grounds but until now have failed miserably.

Dont know how you survive coming from Chatham as the Barnhill Rd Dunkins shuts at 18:00. 

Patriots maybe?

Mike

Under the dock lights, my experience is small white and sparse. Anything not white looks totally out of place. Fire them under and hold on.

Edited by aland

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

You know what Dick I am moving that way myself these days if I am totally honest with you.

On extended trips I used to burn the candle at both ends and by day three turn into a barely walking Zombie.

Now I even forgive myself and take the odd day off.

But I still resemble a Zombie.

The fall your so right it’s so kind with late light and early dark.

Got to be thankful for that.

Might see you at a Dunkins this spring with a bit of luck if not on the beach. I always mean to get up to,some of your favourite stomping grounds but until now have failed miserably.

Dont know how you survive coming from Chatham as the Barnhill Rd Dunkins shuts at 18:00. 

Patriots maybe?

Mike

...enough said ......

Mikesleep.png.42317948fe5a8f0fa27017d5ca81ac55.png

In fairness to Mike we all looked like that at one time or another......just no one had a camera...... sorry Mike couldn't resist  :)

Edited by HillTop

Cheers Chuck

It goes without saying that I am no Babe magnet.

My favourite breakfast place to.

You took or rather photo shopped equally as revealing ones when I was in the Cape Cod hospital. :)

Mikey

Edited by Mike Oliver

He's dreaming of the big one he's going to catch on the next tide.  Or maybe about that big hole in the ceiling he has to fix?  

Ccb

You have a memory better than an elephant. I have half fixed it. The hole where my leg went through the ceiling has been patched up. What I have not yet done is to put Artex over it and try to match the existing combed pattern.

Anne has a memory as good as yours. She just won’t let this go. Must have something to do with the fact she can see it every time she climbs the stairs.

Those naps happen more and more often these days and when I least expect them. Probably the reason I got fired.

mikey

X2 on small and white.  Snook are the most lure size sensitive fish I have ever dealt with at night.  My favorite nite lure in the canals when I was a kid  under the lights was a 2" rapala with size 6 single SW hooks on it.  Its a match the hatch deal at night.