Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yumeya

Shimano Bantam MGL

23 posts in this topic

I'll most likely get one.  

I wasn't blown away by the curado.  So i'm not expecting much more than that.

And by not blown away by the curado i mean..  I like light ass reels now :)

7.6 ounces is a brick now adays :)

Other than that it was a great reel.

(my arsenal constists of steez's, mgx's, aldebarans, etc)

So...I'll be using the Bantam for swimbaits and probably sell it off after a few months and stick with my conquest dc

On 1/25/2018 at 7:21 PM, Yumeya said:

Agreed.

All my reels are Metaniums and Conquests.

If its as smooth as the conquest with brass gears and a shallow spool then I'm down.

I would love to see the antares dc brake on this thing :)

I’ve been playing with one of the few that are in the country the last few weeks at the shows.  It’s a nice reel and extremely solid but compared to the other reels being discussed here it’s not light.  The solid one piece frame gives it a lot of rigidity but it adds weight.  The new braking system access and braking system are really nice but if you are looking for a light reel this isn’t it

On 14/03/2018 at 7:56 AM, Rapidfflow0 said:

I’ve been playing with one of the few that are in the country the last few weeks at the shows.  It’s a nice reel and extremely solid but compared to the other reels being discussed here it’s not light.  The solid one piece frame gives it a lot of rigidity but it adds weight.  The new braking system access and braking system are really nice but if you are looking for a light reel this isn’t it

whats the lightest lure u cast? Just bought few days ago but noticed something different with the cast tension knob. Tried loosen the tension knob but the spool doesnt have the side to side play no matter how much i loosen or tighten

U know when we always tighten the spool tension knob before cast to prevent backlash.

is that normal or i bought a faulty unit

On 26/01/2018 at 7:45 AM, scoobydoo said:

I'll most likely get one.  

I wasn't blown away by the curado.  So i'm not expecting much more than that.

And by not blown away by the curado i mean..  I like light ass reels now :)

7.6 ounces is a brick now adays :)

Other than that it was a great reel.

(my arsenal constists of steez's, mgx's, aldebarans, etc)

So...I'll be using the Bantam for swimbaits and probably sell it off after a few months and stick with my conquest dc

Hey Nick how are u?

been waiting for your video man, what will be the next content about ?

whats the lightest lure u cast? Just bought few days ago but noticed something different with the cast tension knob. Tried loosen the tension knob but the spool doesnt have the side to side play no matter how much i loosen or tighten

U know when we always tighten the spool tension knob before cast to prevent backlash.

18 mins ago, Tourstage said:

Hey Nick how are u?

been waiting for your video man, what will be the next content about ?

Hey man!

Are you referring to the Bantam in terms of light lures?  I can cast down to 1/64th with another reel.  Never went below a quarter with the bantam.

Which is an absolutely brilliant reel outside of it's weight and max casting distance.

In regards to the issue....again...Bantam???

Have you removed the sideplate and reinstalled it?  

I had a concept z 3 with that exact issue.....ZERO freespool  Bound up completely.  I removed the tensioner and still no side to side play.

Took it apart...broke out the grinder and removed parts of the reel to try to fix it...reassembled it completely and alas....no fix....Called Josh at Jandh and he sent a replacement.....And the next day when i went to box it up and send it back....It was right as rain.......felt like slapping myself as I couldn't figure out why sitting on my bench un touched it fixed itself..lmao.

But yeah....yours could be a defect.  Just make sure nothing is binding around the spool flange or anything like that.   Should be flawless.

I thnk the next vid i'm putting out is on the tranx 200

8 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Hey man!

Are you referring to the Bantam in terms of light lures?  I can cast down to 1/64th with another reel.  Never went below a quarter with the bantam.

Which is an absolutely brilliant reel outside of it's weight and max casting distance.

I had a concept z 3 with that exact issue.....ZERO freespool  Bound up completely.  I removed the tensioner and still no side to side play.

Took it apart...broke out the grinder and removed parts of the reel to try to fix it...reassembled it completely and alas....no fix....Called Josh at Jandh and he sent a replacement.....And the next day when i went to box it up and send it back....It was right as rain.......felt like slapping myself as I couldn't figure out why sitting on my bench un touched it fixed itself..lmao.

But yeah....yours could be a defect.  Just make sure nothing is binding around the spool flange or anything like that.   Should be flawless.

i did removed the spool but doesnt work. So it suppose to have the side to side play on the spool when the tension knob is loosen? i dont think i can get a replacement cos i bought it online.

OH NOOOOOOOO

21 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Hey man!

can you please check your Bantam and see if theres any side play on the spool after u loosen the tension knob

36 mins ago, Tourstage said:

can you please check your Bantam and see if theres any side play on the spool after u loosen the tension knob

I no longer have it.  Rapidflo lent it to me for the season.

Do you have 100% freespool.  and if you tighten it do you lose it.

Just now, scoobydoo said:

I no longer have it.  Rapidflo lent it to me for the season.

Do you have 100% freespool.  and if you tighten it do you lose it.

yes freespool is fine.

how can i check if its working ?

8 mins ago, Tourstage said:

yes freespool is fine.

how can i check if its working ?

If you tighten it do you lose freespool or does it slow down?  

I just realized....i think there is a spring on the pinion side of the spool pin that presses on the bearing to eliminate the side to side slack.  

48 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

If you tighten it do you lose freespool or does it slow down?  

I just realized....i think there is a spring on the pinion side of the spool pin that presses on the bearing to eliminate the side to side slack.  

Appreciate your fast reply. After spending hours checking, 1 guy is having the same issue as mine.

Spring on the pinion side of the spool ? where is that located ?