Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lagerhead

Rebuilding my steering

53 posts in this topic

Hello Folks,

my leakey seastar steering needs to be rebuilt. I have a kit. Looks like a couple o rings and some other items.

Has anyone done this? Is it difficult? 

I did it years ago. I remember that the kit was pretty expensive.  Mine was a PITA because it was frozen. It saved me a bunch of $$ doing it myself. U Tube is your friend

When you say rebuild....do you have stuck valves internally?  Does your engine wander to one direction or another?  or are you just replacing the shaft seal to stop the leak?

If the latter...its the easiest fix you will ever have on the boat.  Pull the wheel, remove the cover held by 3 screws, use an ice pick to pull the old o-ring, and put the new one on.  $1 and 10 minutes assuming the steering wheel comes off easy.

Posted (edited)

For what it's worth, I have a Seastar system that is leaking.  I was gonna buy the kit change the seals as well.  After talking with a Seastar tech, I decided to replace the entire hydraulic cylinder assembly.  They say once there is pitting, the shaft is done and will chew up any new seals in short order.

Mine was only leaking at the cylinder, if your problem is with the helm as Mako suggests, then that's a different problem.

Edited by ferret

13 mins ago, ferret said:

For what it's worth, I have a Seastar system that is leaking.  I was gonna buy the kit change the seals as well.  After talking with a Seastar tech, I decided to replace the entire hydraulic cylinder assembly.  They say once there is pitting, the shaft is done and will chew up any new seals in short order.

Mine was only leaking at the cylinder, if your problem is with the helm as Mako suggests, then that's a different problem.

Had the boat in shop for some work and Zuke tech said the same thing.   Noticed that cylinder needed more effort than it should.  He said wear and pitting is microscopic so won’t can’t see it but it’s there and told me to replace the cylinder. 

May not be the problem here but I’m in for expensive part

I had a leak at the ram part also. Did the seal kit about four years ago and the leak has not returned. It was not bad. I did it while the boat was in the water.

Thanks for the replies. Mine looks like a leak in the back. My steering was all over the place at the end of the year. It did lock to one side but I was able to get it moving. I think it just needed fluid but now it's time to either replace seals or replace the cylinder.

I'll try the rebuild kit that came with the boat. I hope I don't have to replace the cylinder. $410

Sometimes the seals go every once in a while. Mine went on my seastar going out fishing in the morning and i went and bought the kit that afternoon. Had it replaced that that night. One tool that helps is a tie rod puller if you have one to help get the ends off. 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, ferret said:

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:06 AM, JimW said:

Had the boat in shop for some work and Zuke tech said the same thing.   Noticed that cylinder needed more effort than it should.  He said wear and pitting is microscopic so won’t can’t see it but it’s there and told me to replace the cylinder. 

May not be the problem here but I’m in for expensive part

You guys are insane.

Auto dealerships must love you two

4 hours ago, makorider said:

You guys are insane.

maybe, I do my own car work too, my shafted looked really bad, will post a pic when it comes off the boat

5 hours ago, makorider said:

You guys are insane.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: :hi5: That was awesome .  

Lagerhead How much did you spend on your last rod and reel ? 

If fixing it yourself fails at least you tried . If you fix it for your labor and short money you won't be able to wipe the Smile off your Face 

We went through this a couple of years ago.  Thought for sure it was the helm.  Took it out, took it apart, and wanted to assess it's condition before buying the seal kit.  The more we disassembled it, the worse the condition got.  Rust, pitting, it was a horror show.  Bought a new helm, problem didn't go away, and the only thing left was the rear cylinder.

Gave up and bought a new one (yeah, like $375) and that fixed it.  We still have the one we took off, and it's on the list of things to get into "someday."

Here's a pic of the helm.

Helm.jpg.fc7f19c65c03e5734b775952fbed4903.jpg

On 1/25/2018 at 2:29 PM, makorider said:

You guys are insane.

Maybe.  I probably shouldn't have used microscopic, his words, I'm sure hyperbole.  I haven't look at mine closely as not bothered me enough yet and albies, but are you contending that these don't get fine corrosion that chew up seals and they should all more or less be fine if I just replace seals?  Not against doing it but from little I've read it seems pretty common that years of salt do eventually damage it and the damage chews up new seals