Alaska, POW Island, July '19, 2 weeks

Combining one of my bucket list items and my (then) 16yo son's "Coming of Age" adventure.

Looking for 2 to 3 guys to join us. We need to be completely self sufficient for 10-14 days on our yaks. 

Current plan.

Return ferry from Bellingham WA to Ketchikan AK. 2 days per trip, $900 incl wheeled on yak.

10 days ... yak from Ketchikan south around Prince of Wales Island, explore bays and rivers and back again.

Getting yaks to Bellingham - 3000 mile road trip (from NJ)

- Ship yaks and fly 

- variations of the above 

Inspiration drawn from YT, search for "Alaska Kayak Todd". He's done 2 solo trips.

If you can't pooh in the woods knowing that a bear is more than likely watching you, this is probably not for you.

If you have to access the interweb during the trip, this is probably not for you.

If you need a regular nicotine fix, this is probably not for you.

If you need a regular alc fix, this is probably not for you.

If you need any type of regular chemical fix, this is probably not for you.  

If you can't make 15 miles a day on your kayak, this is probably not for you.

If you don't have a sense of humour, this is probably not for you.

If you can't handle smelling worse than a camel, this is probably not for you.

If you want to see nature in its most pristine state, this may be for you.

If you want to see if you can hack it, this may be for you.

If you make the best of any situations, this may be for you. 

If you can identify the situation when giving up is not an option, this may be for you.

If you want to bore the **** out of everyone for 10 years afterwards, this may be for you.

18 months of saving $150 per month will buy you an experience and memory of a life time.

PM me if you're interested. I'll bump this thread every month or so.

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

Caster, that sounds like a great experience for the two of you. 

The only thing I’d add is have a way out in an emergency. Sat phone, PLB., local pilots number to get you out.  Get travelers health ins for a heli evacuation. It would be worth the money to have that as a backup on a just in case. I’d add a handgun, shotgun, pepper spray, bear proof containers and bug netting to wear. 

Maybe figure out if a mailrun plane travels the same area you’d travel to spot check for your progress. 

Plus the big one, enjoy. 

15 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

Caster, that sounds like a great experience for the two of you. 

The only thing I’d add is have a way out in an emergency. Sat phone, PLB., local pilots number to get you out.  Get travelers health ins for a heli evacuation. It would be worth the money to have that as a backup on a just in case. I’d add a handgun, shotgun, pepper spray, bear proof containers and bug netting to wear. 

Maybe figure out if a mailrun plane travels the same area you’d travel to spot check for your progress. 

Plus the big one, enjoy. 

Thanks for the input Salty, a major reason for wanting additional companions is to spread not only the risk but also the safety options. As an example, 4 or 5 GPS enabled FFers would mean that additional handheld GPSs wouldn’t be required as backup, SAT phone and PLB are mandatory but 2 of each should be sufficient amongst 4/5 guys.

Great call on a few pilots contact details :th:

There will be commercial fishing boats as well as charters in the area, and a few ferries run up and down the sound weekly, so won’t be completely isolated. Tx

47 mins ago, gobigblue said:

let me be the first in this thread, probably not in life, to tell you you're freaking crazy.  

;) I gonna die screaming ... but only when it’s time :th:

In all seriousness though, it’s not something that hasn’t been done before (and more than once), and having one of my kids along will ensure exhaustive research and a pretty conservative decision making thought process.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )

Caster. contact places like west marine, sea tow, boat us. These might have items for rental, phones, PLBs. Contact sat phone companies, they might have rentals. 

Contact search and rescue local units and get their contact numbers and names of individuals. Know the CG station locations and their respective numbers. 

The marine ferry system is great. They will need to know your dates of travel to confirm number of travelers per leg, occupancy level on the ship. We used the ferry system years ago and didn’t bother with a room, they have a general room of seats you can use to sleep in with others. Rent a blanket and pillow. Now some of this might have changed from 10+ years ago. The weather there changes from day to day and hour to hour. Check to see when the rainy season is in the SE.. The tides are extreme too. 

Fishing wise, fish the incoming if possible on the rivers. The fresh runs happen enter during the time span. 

Ketchikan is a neat town. Figure on spending a little time there too. 

15 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

Caster. contact places like west marine, sea tow, boat us. These might have items for rental, phones, PLBs. Contact sat phone companies, they might have rentals. 

Contact search and rescue local units and get their contact numbers and names of individuals. Know the CG station locations and their respective numbers. 

The marine ferry system is great. They will need to know your dates of travel to confirm number of travelers per leg, occupancy level on the ship. We used the ferry system years ago and didn’t bother with a room, they have a general room of seats you can use to sleep in with others. Rent a blanket and pillow. Now some of this might have changed from 10+ years ago. The weather there changes from day to day and hour to hour. Check to see when the rainy season is in the SE.. The tides are extreme too. 

Fishing wise, fish the incoming if possible on the rivers. The fresh runs happen enter during the time span. 

Ketchikan is a neat town. Figure on spending a little time there too. 

:th: , yip, roughing it on the ferry is still possible. Checked on SAT phone hire, $35 per week ... at that price, my wife will probably try to slip 2 into the boy’s bag :) ... there’s even a portable (laptop sized) sat interweb transiever for $70 per week — can’t escape Google anywhere.

With the laptop you can generate a blog/time line of events. Let’s family know your whereabouts. 

Thats not bad at all for a sat phone rental. For that cost I’d even bring three just for the event two fails. 

Wondering if an outfitter in the area that has some assistance items in place. Or, one that can do food drops at specific locations. That just gave me another thought. Contact the state and fed parks. They might have platforms for tent setups. There might be small buildings as outposts to get out of the weather and a hot meal under a roof, something used by transients. 

Would it be small game season at that time. You can’t rely on getting game everyday, but a rabbit, squirrel or ptarmigan would be nice as fresh food. Good change from fish and fish and more fish. Never get tired of fresh fish. 

There are companies out there that do these survival/end of the world/bug out dry food packages for weeks span. Comes in a bucket sealed, just add water. 

Youre going to need bigger kayaks, LOL. By time I’d get done I’d needa boat to carry it all. 

25 mins ago, Bravo06 said:

Brad, you sure bout this one? (If you need a regular alc fix, this is probably not for you.) And don't forget about Chris McCandless!

:laugh:

There's pushing the envelope and then there's just plain inbreeding ... hhhmmm ... surname sounds familiar ... cousin of yours?  :p

27 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

With the laptop you can generate a blog/time line of events. Let’s family know your whereabouts. 

Thats not bad at all for a sat phone rental. For that cost I’d even bring three just for the event two fails. 

Wondering if an outfitter in the area that has some assistance items in place. Or, one that can do food drops at specific locations. That just gave me another thought. Contact the state and fed parks. They might have platforms for tent setups. There might be small buildings as outposts to get out of the weather and a hot meal under a roof, something used by transients. 

Would it be small game season at that time. You can’t rely on getting game everyday, but a rabbit, squirrel or ptarmigan would be nice as fresh food. Good change from fish and fish and more fish. Never get tired of fresh fish. 

There are companies out there that do these survival/end of the world/bug out dry food packages for weeks span. Comes in a bucket sealed, just add water. 

Youre going to need bigger kayaks, LOL. By time I’d get done I’d needa boat to carry it all. 

Excellent ideas, keep them coming ... please :th:

There are a few "tow behind" products out there (the little 1 man inflatable pool toy I used for last year's Hudson trip wouldn't last 30s where I'm planning to go) but they all seem to be fiberglass based ... not sure I want to rely on that in the rocky shores of the island. Also will be even more influenced by tides (which appear not to be sniffed at) if towing. Rice, pasta, sugar, coffee, garlic and biltong ... along with waterpurification systems.

Might be a little much for me, but considering.   Aidan  would be 17 and I will quite possibly have just retired the month before........... My wife may kill me though.  The original plan was to take her to Europe for a few weeks.

Regardless, I might be able to help you a bit.   We have good portable gear, such as efficient one burner stoves and a katadyne water purifier.  I recommend a good first aid course (Scouts offer wilderness first aid as a weekend course and I found  it helpful) and investing in an extra pedal drive as a just in case.  I can loan you one too.  

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[

37 mins ago, passiton said:

Might be a little much for me, but considering.   Aidan  would be 17 and I will quite possibly have just retired the month before........... My wife may kill me though.  The original plan was to take her to Europe for a few weeks.

Regardless, I might be able to help you a bit.   We have good portable gear, such as efficient one burner stoves and a katadyne water purifier.  I recommend a good first aid course (Scouts offer wilderness first aid as a weekend course and I found  it helpful) and investing in an extra pedal drive as a just in case.  I can loan you one too.  

Thanks Ed, I was going to take a few of the usual spares for the drive, but maybe an entire drive (disassembled to save space) is an even better idea :th: ... would need to upgrade Sasha's drive to GT and the spare also to be a GT so there is seamless compatibility.

I’ve seen the sites for those tow behind pods, they are calling them coolers. Look small, lightweight but small. 

Biltong, omg now there’s a word I haven’t seen in quite some time. That was the best darn dry meats out there. Not this jerky garbage they sell here in the states. It’s absolute crap.

It’s going to be a real tough decision as to what to wear, the water temp may will say dry/wet suit, the air will be much warmer. Sweat in a dry suit. 

Flare gun, or at least flares, smoke flare

solar panel to charge

extra packages of portable water, these come in sealed packages with an expiration date.

Fire starters

space blanket/two person cover

there is a device, it’s a long ribbon, reflective, that is a rolled piece you unroll, blowup and it’s visible from many miles. Clips to your vest. Great as a item to be seen from a plane spotter if you are separated from The kayak and adrift. Goggle ”safety sausage”, sounds odd but that’s the name it’s given. 

Edited by saltfisherman

9 hours ago, Africaster said:

:laugh:

There's pushing the envelope and then there's just plain inbreeding ... hhhmmm ... surname sounds familiar ... cousin of yours?  :p

Not sure but he is famous for giving up everything and moving to Alaska with just a .22 Rifle to survive in the wilderness, well after a couple years they found his decayed body in a rusted out school bus. So, what's the lesson? Oh, don't forget about those barhs that live alone the river, you need a gun, I have the perfect pistol for ya.

Edited by Bravo06

2014 Hobie Outback
2015 Native Slayer Propel 10'

Member of Yellow Eyed Devils