Help Finding Trout

Jettyman

I live in southern NJ (Medford) and have been a freshwater bass/pickerel fisherman my whole life. I also fish for Stripers primarily on LBI - Well, the beach replenishment has sent me over the edge and I want to focus on chasing Trout. Can anyone give me some advice on where to find them - size doesn’t matter - native preferred but stocked / holdovers Seam fun as well - any suggestions on bodies of water to fish within an hour or so of Medford? I’m not asking for a spot burn - just some advice - thx

1 hour ago, Jettyman said:

I live in southern NJ (Medford) and have been a freshwater bass/pickerel fisherman my whole life. I also fish for Stripers primarily on LBI - Well, the beach replenishment has sent me over the edge and I want to focus on chasing Trout. Can anyone give me some advice on where to find them - size doesn’t matter - native preferred but stocked / holdovers Seam fun as well - any suggestions on bodies of water to fish within an hour or so of Medford? I’m not asking for a spot burn - just some advice - thx

Run up to Allaire State Park and fish the Manasquan River. Both stocked & holdovers plus the occasional sea run brown in the lower sections. They dump fish off the bridges both spring & fall but you can leave those areas to the DB's and work the stream well away from them and still catch plenty of fish. If you don't catch between 20 & 40 per trip you're fishing too fast & too shallow.

There is a year round Trout Conservation Area on the Toms River, and Matt Grobert's book says the upper Toms River has stream bred brookies. I've never fished Toms River but  heard it is difficult to fish because of weed/bush/tree growth on the banks. Good luck.

"If there is an idiot in power, it means those who elected him are well represented." 

Mahatma Gandhi

like the guys said, check the state website and fish the lakes in your surrounding counties. Most people won't grave the elements but in the last three days caught 24 trout at our local lake. They have been hitting mostly Maribou jigs or flies. Today one guy had five on Powerbait. So, invest some time, it's better than cabin fever. At least half the stockies are still in the lake.