pat the nat

I WILL win the pinewood derby this year

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, MikeMc said:

Too bad the 1st and 2nd graders didn't make them.

1st and 2nd grader=Getting a racer ready for the track requires some degree of adult help.
How much help?
5% effort?
10% effort?
100? effort?
Its in the derby's DNA Mike=
When it comes to helping their kid a lot of Dads are going to go all out.

1 min ago, Possum said:

1st and 2nd grader=Getting a racer ready for the track requires some degree of adult help.
How much help?
5% effort?
10% effort?
100? effort?
Its in the derby's DNA Mike=
When it comes to helping their kid a lot of Dads are going to go all out.

Those cars look like the kids were probably in bed sleeping when dad made them. :laugh:

7 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Those cars look like the kids were probably in bed sleeping when dad made them. :laugh:

He forgot the 0% effort category :laugh: 

On 1/22/2018 at 8:38 PM, Tom T said:

They should just have a dad division.

^^^ This. My kids are older but over several years we have won or placed on time and won several on aesthetics. Star Wars themes, LotR one year, Irish theme another. Those three body styles are all familiar. For performance, I was always partial to the one lifted wheel ploy which worked a couple years for speed performance. 

Yeah, the year we left we discussed a Dad’s division, but then someone observed that some kids’ competitiveness would wane. Seemed it was seen as a zero-sum deal. 

kinda takes the fun out of it  for the kids that do it themselves to be racing against someone who had it done professionally or had dad do it.    its really up to the judges to set the rules.       I think a dad division against their own kids is the way to go .  then the kids will be more competetive.

So we didn’t do to well this year. First year we werent in first for his pack. The competion was tough. We came in 4th for the bears. Son took it well, wife didn’t. Had a ton of rear wobble in the straightaway and lost to better cars in the last 3/4 of the track. Guess we’ll have to up our game for next year if we want a trophy. 

7 hours ago, Ravenar said:

So we didn’t do to well this year. First year we werent in first for his pack. The competion was tough. We came in 4th for the bears. Son took it well, wife didn’t. Had a ton of rear wobble in the straightaway and lost to better cars in the last 3/4 of the track. Guess we’ll have to up our game for next year if we want a trophy. 

Bottom line is if you had fun doing it with him and he enjoyed making it then he doesn't need a trophy.   plus he has a whole year to practice with you getting  it right and showing him how to do it so next year hes ready.

My Lion (kindergarten group) is doing his first derby next month. All I'm doing is the cutting. The rest of that mess is up to him and we don't care where we end up. He's stoked!

19 mins ago, j0e c said:

My Lion (kindergarten group) is doing his first derby next month. All I'm doing is the cutting. The rest of that mess is up to him and we don't care where we end up. He's stoked!

As it should be :clap:

It's all about working TOGETHER with your son...  It's not his project or your project...  Work together to build a car that you're both proud of...  The results are secondary.

Been there... Done that... My son is leaving for College next year, and we both still smile when we see a Pinewood Derby car.

HAVE FUN!!!!