pat the nat

I WILL win the pinewood derby this year

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

This is the year I will topple the dynasty.  One dad and his three kids have crushed all other scouts in the derby for the past three years.  It ends this year.  My three boys are in it this year.  Oldest got second last year without me trying much.

Ive done my research.  Went to the hobby store today.  Picked up some graphite wheels, diamond polished axles, an axel alignment jig, a digital scale and some secret sauce.  Can't wait to take my (kids) stand on the podium.  

IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.134336ee18362c72c95d23c95449e2fa.JPGIMG_1449.thumb.JPG.97d3d62570a2d7b34456972c495cf8a8.JPG

Years ago I did it with my kids. We won first place.  I had a car like the first one on the left.  Very streamline with the weight in the middle.  We had to use the block of wood and the wheels that they give us in the kit. The kids loved it. 

14 mins ago, Tom T said:

They should just have a dad division.

Some troops actually do to cut down on hard feelings/potential fist fights  No weight or wheel restrictions.  Dads run solid metal cars with razor thin aluminum wheels on bearings.  

25 mins ago, Tom T said:

They should just have a dad division.

They would fill the spots.  We won the city and ended up second in the intercity?    I think the dads like it if not better then the kids?

We now hire an outside company to run the derby.  It's all digital split second.  We used to have our own track and dads just watching the finish line by eye.  Didn't end well.

44 mins ago, pat the nat said:

This is the year I will topple the dynasty.  One dad and his three kids have crushed all other scouts in the derby for the past three years.  It ends this year.  My three boys are in it this year.  Oldest got second last year without me trying much.

Ive done my research.  Went to the hobby store today.  Picked up some graphite wheels, diamond polished axles, an axel alignment jig, a digital scale and some secret sauce.  Can't wait to take my (kids) stand on the podium.  

IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.134336ee18362c72c95d23c95449e2fa.JPGIMG_1449.thumb.JPG.97d3d62570a2d7b34456972c495cf8a8.JPG

The first year we came in like last

the second year we won the whole enchilada 

I’m not talkin’  

12 mins ago, Kml said:

Looks like they already do in most places

Wait until they swing the bat for them in little league :th:

Brings back memories. I gave the son tips, but made him do all the work. Won the local troop easily, next step was the regionals at a nearby mall. They had 3 tracks, winners were determined by cumulative time of one run on each of the 3 tracks. He won the first 2 by several car lengths.  After the second race he picks up the car, trips over the staging, and the car goes flying onto the floor. Broke an axle mount right off. I did the best I could in the 5 minutes I had before his final race but the damage was done. Ran 10 car lengths behind the final race and finished 15th out of 40.

Bothered me more than him i think. Definitely would've finished top 3 if he didn't wreck the car.  :laugh:

2 mins ago, Tom T said:

Wait until they swing the bat for them in little league :th:

Lol, we have a "derby building session" as a troop event (I'm the towns cubmaster) at the local school.  All scouts are invited to work on their cars.  Handy dads (me) set up all their tools in the local gym and let the others work on their cars.  I set up my bandsaw, scrollsaw, drillpress, disk sander, belt sander.