TroutGhost

Cheapest Rod You Use that is Badass?

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

9ft Field and Stream Litus surf rod and 12ft Field and Stream Litus chunker. Both cost me under 50 bucks and are outstanding. Caught my PB at the canal (along with many others) with the 12ft and the 9ft is my every day surf rod. 

For creek fishing I am a huge fan of the Berkley Cherrywood HD rods. Super cheap like 20 bucks, and the feel is amazing. 

10' Ande Surf rod was my 1st surf rod for chucking bait.  And it still have it and use it maybe twice a year.  Have landed TONS of blues and its still works perfectly fine for me.  The fod cost me $50 i think...not sure, i bought it over 7 years ago.

2 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

Terrible feel on that stick! But for shark who looks for feel anyways

Yea if you like em fast this ain't the rod you want. Its not a shark rod unless your into super light. The sharks were by catch. Personally love the feel on big bass.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Jarvis Walker 7' boat spinning rod.  I couldn't find anything out there for a boat that was 7' long that could still flip a 1 lb bunker but work a 3 oz pencil.   I still can't find a 7' rod that can do it.

Had the rod for 10 years and it's still going strong, lots of big bass on it.  $49. 

Edited by bido

A 9’ Penn Spinfisher that i use for snagging but on occasion get into a good liveline bight with,bluefish over 20lbs bass to 48”-$39.00.Have another rod that came as combo with a Penn Battle handles big bluefish and bass all day long.Then when it comes to my “Better” rods,nothing over $150,expensive surf rods are way overated,unlike reels where you get what you pay for in most cases.

Back in the 90's when Kmart sponsored the flw or bassmaster classic the had some good rods for 35 bucks Fuji real seats and guides cork handle. My favorite bass rod ever. Sadly I don't know what ever happened to it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Daiwa FT Surf Series 9 ft med. !

I purchased it because I learned to surf fish when I was a kid with a Daiwa and wanted a rod to keep in my Jeep.

It's a really nice rod for the price. Casts great, light easy to carry, and handles nice.

Another nice inexpensive surf rod is the Ande Tournament which comes in 9 , & 10 foot lenghts. I bit heavy but durable and handles great.

Edited by glennsav
add

My first surf rod  my dad bought me when I was a kid more than 50 years ago.  A 2 piece 9’ fiberglass Garcia Mitchell with metal ferrule that originally had a Mitchell 386.  Caught countless kingfish weakfish bluefish as a kid. I still use it when visiting in Florida as a light bait rod with penn 550 SS for whiting pompano and other small fish when 2-3 oz holds bottom.  It’s on it’s 3rd set of guides with latest off a broken tica I found in the dunes. The cork crumbled away and I rewrapped the fore grip and handle with cork tape  I have a half dozen St. Croix surf rods and 2 star surf rods all new in last 5 years and still enjoy using this old rod for small stuff. 

43 mins ago, JTR said:

Ugly Stik Tigers. 7-8 years ago, they were $50 rods (now about $70). I love mine - absolutely great boat rods.

Second the Tiger .  Caught my biggest Bass on that $50 rod.

Picked up a twelve foot ugly stick surf rod at Wally World for 69 bucks. I surf fish in Sarasota Florida. My favorite rod. This thing is a beast

6’ light action ugly stick and a 2500 Diawa crossfire that I got for $15. Most fun rod ever to catch schoolies on. Reel has to be cleaned and can jam when it gets sandy though. But hey it was el cheapo and it works.