TroutGhost

Cheapest Rod You Use that is Badass?

Rate this topic

180 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

You asked for it!

The complete outfit with reel, line and lure under $20.

IMG-1406.jpg

IMG-1413.jpg

IMG-1409.jpg

IMG-1379.jpg

Edited by SandSpike1

23 mins ago, SandSpike1 said:

You asked for it!

The complete outfit with reel, line and lure under $20.

IMG-1406.jpg

IMG-1413.jpg

IMG-1409.jpg

IMG-1379.jpg

Love that “radioactive” green rod. Is that a telescoping blank? It looks like the top section slides might collapse into the lower section.

16 hours ago, valentine said:

Love that “radioactive” green rod. Is that a telescoping blank? It looks like the top section slides might collapse into the lower section.

It's a 2 piece and it's called the $20 or less fishing outfit.

It doesn't have a name. :)

I read through all 12 pages of this thread and realized I'd be out a lot of money! Great to see people have found great value out of products that many gear snobs would roll their eyes at.

On 6/22/2019 at 11:47 AM, valentine said:

I love knowing that I am not the only who finds it immensely satisfying to fish well with inexpensive rods. 

Oh yeah, as long as I have a decent reel (at least a Battle or BG), fishing with a cheap rod successfully kind of makes ya feel like you're getting away something.

It's like sneaking your little 23' boat offshore for Tuna, but without the fear of dying. :)

7 hours ago, nycstripers16 said:

Ugly Stik Gx2. Can't break it.

I have many high end surf rods all (9+), but not to many back bay 7'. I only have a GX2 and Mojo inshore with that style. I wont lie...I grab the GX2, something about that rod just feels good even though Ive landed some back bay stripers way over the power. The only time I get nervous is casting large plugs and seeing that back flex lol. 

Freshwater: Daiwa D-Force 6' ML. It's my "popper" rod in freshwater and has 2 of my top 5 bigest LM Bass on it. $16.97 at Sports Authority in 2006.

Saltwater: 6'6 Ugly Stik Custom Inshore Graphite. Yes, Shakespeare made an all-graphite Ugly, with cork grips, Fuji guides and a Fuji seat back in the mid 2000's. It's a 10-17lb line class MH rod. Fluke and albie murder weapon; although I have a 45lb brown shark on it (in open water), and it's caught countless blues over 10lbs.  $69.99 new back in 2006.

My spinfisher v mh and heavy boat combos have put up with some serious abuse and fish as good as new. The 7’ heavy fiberglass rod especially.