TroutGhost

Cheapest Rod You Use that is Badass?

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

I have an el cheapo 7 ft MH Daiwa Samurai rod that cost me about $15 that I use for snagging bunker and it casts a crazy mile. I've had people around me oohing and ahhhing as I cast that snagger into the next town over. :P

I also have a 6,6 ft MH Shimano Voltaeus that I bought on sale for $20. There's a youtube video of a guy catching a 100 lb shark with it. I like it when I want something stout and short to fish with in a hurry from a pier.

7' MH Tsunami 5 Star. Paid $35? Still using it two seasons later. Everything from sea robins to bluefish. Can't kill it. Bought two more.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 7' Contender Ranger rod from the mid/late 80's paired with a Penn 712Z.  I think it was a cheap rod back then-but it has caught me many fish.  It is still my go-to springtime back bay rod and I also use it for albies in the fall.....I think its bad-ass....especially when the guy next to me is fishing a VS with a brand spankin' new custom rod and I'm out catching him 3 to 1.

Edited by jesgord

Yeah! The Tsunami Star is a good one. I caught a lot of blues and stripers with it. Unfortunately one of the "ceramics" from inside one of the guides fell out. LOL

The Ugly Stiks are hands down a leading bait launcher, too. I see people launch bait for epic distances with those. I remember one guy fishing with an ungly stik who was casting way way out. That's when I realized the Ugly Stiks were serious rods. Then some guys in a boat parked near where we were fishing. He started growling about it then shouted at them to move but they said responded that they were a good distance away. I had to agree. He could cast far, but I didn't think he could cast that far. They were way out.

So the guy's blood vessels started popping out of his head and he's like grumbling, "Oh yeah? Oh yeah?!" He hangs some bunker meat on a hook then heeeeeaved it way out and hit the side of their boat with it. They moved. LOL

Edited by TroutGhost

Got 3 Tsuanmi Sapphire XT that I use for small Spring Stripers in the bay, Summer blues, and Fluke in all depths.  Love 'em.  Enough backbone to land a big Fluke, but light enough that it gives them a fighting chance.

And can you say anything bad about an Ugly Stick?

The 8' Tica TC2 is a favorite of mine. I'm also very impressed with the Okuma Shadow Stalker rods. I have two and put them through the paces this fall on the boat. Both performed really well and for under $100 each. Not sure how cheap we're talking.

PB striper (low #30s) to date was taken from the yak on a 4'8" UL Ugly Stik. 

PB albie (approaching double digit pounds) was taken on an Eagle Claw Featherlite 'glass 3wt. 

Both are twenty dollar sticks. Love them no less than any of my customs. 

Edited by DanTheBassMan