Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Fisherman

BobPop says hi

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Spent some time with Bob at his tying station in Marlborough on Friday and told him about the continued high regard he is held in on SOL. He was very appreciative and asked me to pass along a friendly hello to all.  :-)

Hell, Bob Popovics changed my life. I first came to the Vineyard and "discovered" false albacore around 2002-2003. Then I saw a copy of Pop Fleyes and saw what Bob was doing with epoxy and Surf Candies, and I just got more and more interested in salt water fly fishing and fly tying. I'd fished my whole life and tied freshwater trout, bass and panfish flies a little since I was a kid, but for some reason Bob's flies and SW fly fishing really grabbed my interest. And whenever I run into Bob, whether it's fishing in NJ or on MV, or at one of the shows, he is always super nice and positive and encouraging--just a great guy. Thanks, Bob Semper Fi :theman: 

It was a good show. Good to see Bob and chat with him. Page Rogers was there and the demo by Joe Cordiero was a blast; informative and quite entertaining. I haven't been to the show in quite a while and to see all the talented tiers and their flies was very inspiring. So many good tips I learned throughout the day, hopefully I can retain at least a few of them.

Steve, good presentation and nice to meet you. I hope to spend some time on the other side of the door this season.

4 hours ago, cgg said:

Hell, Bob Popovics changed my life. I first came to the Vineyard and "discovered" false albacore around 2002-2003. Then I saw a copy of Pop Fleyes and saw what Bob was doing with epoxy and Surf Candies, and I just got more and more interested in salt water fly fishing and fly tying. I'd fished my whole life and tied freshwater trout, bass and panfish flies a little since I was a kid, but for some reason Bob's flies and SW fly fishing really grabbed my interest. And whenever I run into Bob, whether it's fishing in NJ or on MV, or at one of the shows, he is always super nice and positive and encouraging--just a great guy. Thanks, Bob Semper Fi :theman: 

:agree: All in all ... that's pretty funny, but true. His tying techniques certainly changed my fly fishing & fishing success overall. And given the time, energy & creativity I've put into fishing & fly tying ... yes I would say his ideas & tying techniques changed my life, as well.

Cheers CGG & Semper Fi Bob!

Bob is a gentleman who is willing to share with people.  I miss the Christmas gatherings we used to have at the Shady Rest, his restaurant here in NJ.  Thanks for your friendship Bob.  :wave:

Hello all!  It’s been a long time, I know. I managed to reach Tim to re-do password stuff and now I can join in again. Having dinner now but I promise to return. 

I gotta thank @BobPop for taking time on Friday afternoon to show me how to tie his Silliclone fly. I was chatting with him at the Marlboro show and asked about his rubber head pattern having never seen it before. Bob pulled out some sheep fleece and a tube of clear GE silicone caulking and proceeded to tie a fly showing me, my son and his friend the process of shaping the fleece head and applying the silicone. I really appreciate you taking the time to show me the process and technique, Bob. 

9 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Ringer could use some more Pop in his life. Maybe he'll even catch a fish on a fly.

I already caught fish on the fly.  Many blue fish and a small mouth bass.  dont make me bring my fly rod ice fishing to make a point and shut you up. 

Edited by crazybellringer