fishguts430

Types if fish near route 50 bridge

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hi all just got a kayak and later in the year i want to do some bay fishing out of it. Im from pa and about an hour from Chesapeake bay bridge. Not the tunnel but the route 50 bridge. I know a lot of people go there for Stripers but is there any other saltwater fish in that area I could go for? I Don't think there will be any since its so high up in the Chesapeake thanks

Sure- depending on the time of year, Striper’s, blues, croaker, spot, etc. if you get into some grassy river beds, you can pick up speckled trout.  If you like fishing for rays :) there are a few of them around in the warmer months!!

Well, blues and flounder aren't far away. Cross the bridge and drive down to Romancoke pier on southern Kent Island. There's a kayak launch at the pier ($10 parking fee) and flounder are caught at the southern tip of the island and blues and stripers out in the open water. Blues are small, however.

For Kent I: Do you catch flounder at Bloody Point?? 

I caught small flounder in the Miles River last summer. MY buddy from SC where I fish seriously for flounder tells me that where there are small flounder there will be larger flounder but I am skeptical. 

Not on the point exactly. I recommend Lenny Rudow's book "Fishing the Chesapeake", which gives very specific advice on where to fish for what. I had boat transmission problems last year and didn't get out much, but caught a bunch of small flounder in my crab traps. Incidentally, this years minimum size is 17".

I almost forgot - if you are talking about the Rt 50 bridge, I have a friend who owns a place on Bolingbroke Creek, which is the first creek above the bridge. The creek is full of catfish - some really big ones included. 

For Kent I - If your boat is not repaired  you are welcome to fish with me. I am in St. Michaels. 

Thanks for the reply.  I did some researching on google maps and found a place called Solomon's island. I might try there. Seems some Salt water fish move up in through there

I was on board a boat off Turkey Point, 40 miles north of the Bay Bridge, one fall day several years ago and witnessed a flounder come over the gunwale. Never before and never since, but it was there that day.

8 hours ago, Finprof said:

I almost forgot - if you are talking about the Rt 50 bridge, I have a friend who owns a place on Bolingbroke Creek, which is the first creek above the bridge. The creek is full of catfish - some really big ones included. 

For Kent I - If your boat is not repaired  you are welcome to fish with me. I am in St. Michaels. 

I yanked the transmission two weeks ago and had the seals replaced, so it shouldn't be a problem, but I welcome the opportunity to fish with other locals. My wife and I are headed out for a cross-country trek and won't be back until May, but I'll PM you when we're back and maybe we can get together.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:28 PM, Kent I said:

I yanked the transmission two weeks ago and had the seals replaced, so it shouldn't be a problem, but I welcome the opportunity to fish with other locals. My wife and I are headed out for a cross-country trek and won't be back until May, but I'll PM you when we're back and maybe we can get together.

Please PM me when you get back in May. Enjoy the cross-country trek. Everyone should do one. Every now and then I drive out to Idaho instead of flying. 

On 1/24/2018 at 5:16 PM, Finprof said:

For Kent I: Do you catch flounder at Bloody Point?? 

I caught small flounder in the Miles River last summer. MY buddy from SC where I fish seriously for flounder tells me that where there are small flounder there will be larger flounder but I am skeptical. 

Not True.