G Loomis Shortstix

Rate this topic

robmedina

Short Orvis Recon were $50 more, five inch longer and are about 0,8oz lighter. Sage Bass which came almost ten years ago were also 7'11''.

Saltwater single hand rod can be only 7ft and cast great. I am going to test 6ft rod one day...

Esa

Edited by crunch
"Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once" 1939 Lee Wulff

5 hours ago, cgg said:

Who made a rule that fly rods have to be 9'? That length may be nice for mending a drift on a trout stream, but it's a pain in the ass on a boat when it comes to fighting and landing fish. There's a reason you don't see 9' spinning or conventional rods on boats. The ShortStix cast beautifully and are so much nicer to deal with on a small CC.

Couldn't agree more.

The other benefits are they cast super quick, for example when albies are up and down you can fire off quick casts - far faster than you could with a 9 footer.  Shorter rods simply fight fish better - they are a better lever. And shorter rods are less wear and tear on elbows and shoulders.  For guys that have tennis elbow or repetitive type injuries - they help a fair amount.

Loomis marketed them poorly - fly anglers are notoriously susceptible to quality marketing. 

It all boils down to personal preference. I've used short rods and standard 9' rods. I prefer 9' rods when it comes to casting, but love to fight fish with a short one.

Shortstix were really poorly marketed around here(Finland). No demo rods available even at shows and the availability was pretty poor. It's a shame I pulled the trigger on a few other rods earlier on before the shortstix sale started to happen. A 10/11 would have made a good sinking line rod for me. Now I'm out of money to buy anything :)

10 hours ago, crunch said:

Short Orvis Recon were $50 more, five inch longer and are about 0,8oz lighter. Sage Bass which came almost ten years ago were also 7'11''.

Saltwater single hand rod can be only 7ft and cast great. I am going to test 6ft rod one day...

Esa

Sage made Bass rods way back in the late 90’s

before the ones you speak of....I’ve been hunting for two years on eBay trying to find one and haven’t yet. They made one labeled as a 7/8 wt & and 8/9 wt...Dave Whitlock had his name attached to them.

I use to have the 7/8 weight and would love to get another one back...IM6 days

I think i had every short rods ever made except from orvis, from the ones made by paco for kayak fishing  with built in tether clip to ross,redington, sage, gloomis(short stick, shore stalker which is 8'6") and scott backcountry, my 2 fav for SUP Fishing is the redington predator  and Scott backcountry, to me these two rods cast and fight very well up lining not necessary. On the lookout for another backcountry  I think these are discontinued. 

Edited by thaistick

10 hours ago, thaistick said:

I think i had every short rods ever made except from orvis, from the ones made by paco for kayak fishing  with built in tether clip to ross,redington, sage, gloomis(short stick, shore stalker which is 8'6") and scott backcountry, my 2 fav for SUP Fishing is the redington predator  and Scott backcountry, to me these two rods cast and fight very well up lining not necessary. On the lookout for another backcountry  I think these are discontinued. 

how does the Shortstix compare to the other models, in your opinion?

If a man has no plan for the future, any road will take him there. 

I fish in the same waters as CGG and I really like my ShortStix after using it for 2 seasons on the boat. It does great in the rips and blitzs where you're not casting finesse or for distance/accuracy. I am able to cast an entire flyline which I have trouble doing with long rods (yea yea i'm not a great caster). It also a great fish fightining tool and stores better on the boat than a 9fter. I also works great on the kayak in an albie blitz. Is it the end all be all? No. Are there better short rods out there? Sure its getting to be old tech at this point, but I like it for what it is.

9 hours ago, mitchman said:

I fish in the same waters as CGG and I really like my ShortStix after using it for 2 seasons on the boat. It does great in the rips and blitzs where you're not casting finesse or for distance/accuracy. I am able to cast an entire flyline which I have trouble doing with long rods (yea yea i'm not a great caster). It also a great fish fightining tool and stores better on the boat than a 9fter. I also works great on the kayak in an albie blitz. Is it the end all be all? No. Are there better short rods out there? Sure its getting to be old tech at this point, but I like it for what it is.

Mitch, bought and used my 9/10 for kayaking as well but only once so far.  I'm close to the Cape so if you're looking for someone to buddy up and kayak fish this spring/summer send me a PM.

Edited by HillTop

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

Well I am a little irritated. The place I purchased the rod from said it shipped but only a label was created- but nothing has actually shipped. They said they would check with UPS, when inquired they said the driver was different so they would ask a dispatcher- that was 2 days ago and now they are not answering emails-  on their website they now list the rod as sold out.  I am beginning to think that this rod may not be available anywhere.

Are there any other rods that are comparable to the shortstix that I could consider? (that are not discontinued) 

Rob,

I would say wait a couple more days. They could be waiting for an answer from UPS. I've had this happen to me as well, it usually just means that there's a little blip in UPS' system. I've had packages from places show tracking messages like this, and I still got them just fine. If it takes longer than a week or two, then I'd open a dispute with whatever service you paid with, be it your bank or PayPal, and you should be covered. PayPal gives you about a half year to open a dispute, and your bank probably gives about a month, but I'm less familiar with how banks deal with these things than I am with PayPal, so I'd look into it just to be safe.

I've told this story a few times already on SOL. I used 2 short fly rods for all my Northeast saltwater fly fishing for two years in the mid 90's. They were made for me, specifically for our fishing, by Ken Carmen of Biscayne Rods in Miami. They were 7 and 7 1/2 ft. one piece. I wanted a short rod because of it's many major advantages in doing our fishing from a boat. The concept came from my friend Jay Bobowitz who surmized that you didn't need a  9 ft. or long rod fishing from a boat, especially in the salt in the Northeast. He thought of a bunch of good reasons. He'd tried some 6 1/2 footers around that time (late 80,s early 90's), but really didn't have a wide choice of blanks and those particular ones didn't cast well enough. When I became Casting Columnist for Saltwater Fly Fishing Magazine in 95' the whole industry opened up to me and I could get just about anything I wanted. I asked all around, company after company,  about short rods and the guy who knew ( by far) more about short fly rods than anybody, and rods PERIOD was Kenny Carmen! He was my guy and he made me up two, for max pressure with a 15 lb. tippet. I asked him what wt. lines for the rods and he told me to "go find out"! The 7' lined up with a 10 and the other with a 12. I loved the 10. It was more flexible, and I still have it. When I was with Scott Rods they didn't listen to me at all about designing a rod. They said I was a "freak" (not in a bad way), that nobody casted like me (not just when throwing backwards), and that what I loved was a "pool cue". Not so, really. So when Capt. Ian Devlin spoke to Steve Rajeff at Somerset years later, he called me over and we created what became the Shortstix. Ian chose the K frame guides and fighting grip handles, me the length and using single foot non strippers, and all three of us the tapers and feel. To me, I wanted more with the taper. The Shortstix stopped short for me where taper is concerned. Ian likes a stiffer, heavier tip kinda like the SS. The new rods will have the taper I want, and will be (are already) MUCH lighter. I believe that fly rods up to this time (in history) have been user UN-friendly. Just look at how many fishermen cast badly. My rods will be user FRIENDLY. Big difference there.

5 hours ago, No Bull S said:

I've told this story a few times already on SOL. I used 2 short fly rods for all my Northeast saltwater fly fishing for two years in the mid 90's. They were made for me, specifically for our fishing, by Ken Carmen of Biscayne Rods in Miami. They were 7 and 7 1/2 ft. one piece. I wanted a short rod because of it's many major advantages in doing our fishing from a boat. The concept came from my friend Jay Bobowitz who surmized that you didn't need a  9 ft. or long rod fishing from a boat, especially in the salt in the Northeast. He thought of a bunch of good reasons. He'd tried some 6 1/2 footers around that time (late 80,s early 90's), but really didn't have a wide choice of blanks and those particular ones didn't cast well enough. When I became Casting Columnist for Saltwater Fly Fishing Magazine in 95' the whole industry opened up to me and I could get just about anything I wanted. I asked all around, company after company,  about short rods and the guy who knew ( by far) more about short fly rods than anybody, and rods PERIOD was Kenny Carmen! He was my guy and he made me up two, for max pressure with a 15 lb. tippet. I asked him what wt. lines for the rods and he told me to "go find out"! The 7' lined up with a 10 and the other with a 12. I loved the 10. It was more flexible, and I still have it. When I was with Scott Rods they didn't listen to me at all about designing a rod. They said I was a "freak" (not in a bad way), that nobody casted like me (not just when throwing backwards), and that what I loved was a "pool cue". Not so, really. So when Capt. Ian Devlin spoke to Steve Rajeff at Somerset years later, he called me over and we created what became the Shortstix. Ian chose the K frame guides and fighting grip handles, me the length and using single foot non strippers, and all three of us the tapers and feel. To me, I wanted more with the taper. The Shortstix stopped short for me where taper is concerned. Ian likes a stiffer, heavier tip kinda like the SS. The new rods will have the taper I want, and will be (are already) MUCH lighter. I believe that fly rods up to this time (in history) have been user UN-friendly. Just look at how many fishermen cast badly. My rods will be user FRIENDLY. Big difference there.

I am with you 100% Mark. I wish you had rods for sale now.