albacized

BG Daiwa 1000

13 posts in this topic

Seems like the larger reels from the BG series gets some nice reviews from the sw guys. How about the tiny ones for fresh? I have a Stedic 5000 and 3000 (both FK versions), but don't want to splurge $200 for an ultra light reel...but would still like it to be somewhat saltwater safe in the off chance I want to fish for snapper sized bluefish or other similarly panfish sized saltwater fish...and id imagine the small BG reels are built similar to their bigger saltwater brothers (in terms of saltwater readiness)...but with that said, ultra light fw applications are my primary goals.

I was so pleased with my bigger Daiwa BG reels that I went to buy a BG2500 for LMB.  The tackle shop owner talked me into a new Fuego LT 2500 for the same price.  He had both reels in stock for me to compare; the Fuego is labeled for use in saltwater but is lighter due to its construction materials.  I've fished it once, going to fish it again tomorrow for LMB.  So far so good.  OH

On 2/25/2019 at 2:13 AM, JimmyK said:

Got the Shimano Sedona 1000 damn good reel for the $$$

Just purchased this same reel last Saturday to replace my old ultralight set-up. I paired it with a Field and Stream  tec lite rod. Balances perfectly. Looking forward to fishing with this set-up come the PA trout opener next month. I was originally looking for an ultralight BG as I already have the  BG4500 and love it. The shop I was at didn't carry that size reel so I went with the Sedona 1000. It was also marked down to $50 plus 20% off of that so i figured what the hell.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:53 AM, animalbarrie said:

BG is good bang for the buck - I replaced my Battle's with BG's.

I'd 100% opt for the 1000 sized fuego LT as mentioned above.. I picked one up for a FW UL set up and loved it so much I went and got a second one.  For the price you cant beat it. And with the magseal it has the saltwater readiness you are looking for 

I wouldn't use either, I don't count bearings, crap with a bunch of bearings is still crap. Don't care about drag pressure, till a few years ago it wasn't published and surprisingly those reels caught fish. I think of only one thing, within the size reel I want to use, which reel would I have on the rod to catch the fish of a lifetime? In your price range, a known record book holder stands out, the Diawa SS Tournament SS700.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:56 PM, Joe D. said:

I went with the Sedona 1000. It was also marked down to $50 plus 20% off of that so i figured what the hell.

You did fine. I use the Sedonas for most freshwater applications, and I've used them a little fishing from docks and rocks. Given the negligible stresses presented by ultralight FW fishing, that will last pretty much forever unless you do something weird.