wolfer

Conolon Fiberglass Rods

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have a shop in my small coastal community that has hundreds of vintage rods to search thru. I saw a video of Conolon Rods being built at a factory. I am using Mitchell reels and would like to match the reels with rods. I am wondering if anyone knows how long they made Conolon rods. I want to find ones that will work in the surf. Also what colors they were made in so they may be easier to find.

Edited by wolfer

Posted (edited)

I caught my first 30#+ Bass on a brown Conolon Rod with a Mitchell 300. I still have the rod. It was in the mid 70's. At the time, it was my go-to back bay outfit. BJ

Edited by bob jones

Posted (edited)

On 1/18/2018 at 4:24 PM, wolfer said:

I am wondering if anyone knows how long they made Conolon rods. 

From 1947 - 1959 the Conolon rods are manufactured under the NARMCO brand. From 1960 - 1978/1980 the rods are manufactured under the Garcia Conolon brand.

Edited by Rook49

Thanks to all of you for your replys. I have one other question. I assume they have stainless steel guides will recent braided line cut thru the guides?

On 1/25/2018 at 5:43 PM, wolfer said:

Thanks to all of you for your replys. I have one other question. I assume they have stainless steel guides will recent braided line cut thru the guides?

I wouldn't use braid with those old guides. 

Posted (edited)

My Farther had one in the 60s with two butts, was a 3 pc rod, rod was l think 40/60 split one butt section with upper section and it was around a 10 ft surf rod, use the other butt and the feral of the upper section went right butt section and it was a boat rod around 7 ft if l recall it right, long time ago. Honey in color.

Edited by LB

I had a couple of those Garcia/Conolon rods in the late 70’s. Nice rods, but they had some QC issues.   On both rods, the reel seat loosened up and would spin around the blank.0

I have one I bought in the seventies.....a seven footer that I use for flounder and sea trout.  It's brown has cork grips and has stainless wire guides.  Would not use braid with it.

Hope this helps you out, from an old Garcia Fishing Annual magazine I have. IF you have info on rods, length, color, action, etc. and type of reel you are trying to match with, might be able to give you more info.20180201_152948.thumb.jpg.1ba1c0f21759e2f51d2abe4700bacd71.jpg20180201_152906.thumb.jpg.44a1b1e634f0a2d3f94159bec0047def.jpg

The only rods I use are the old Garcia Conolon rods made in the USA along with Mitchell reels. I collect them and Mitchell reels. 

I found another one this week to use with one of my Mitchell 408 ultra light reels. It's a B501-A, 5-1/2', 4 Star, light action, fast taper rod.

DSCN4701.jpg

DSCN4698.jpg

DSCN4697.jpg

DSCN4595.jpg