captkenroy

Cutter for Ultra suede, Lycra etc? Maybe DIY

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I am tired of paying maxi bucks for C-tails etc.  I have made tails out of Spandex(Lycra), Ultra Suede and other materials that work OK but could be better.  With a cutting guide it would be much easier to cut them with a surgical scalpel. Anybody have a clue who could make one for a reasonable price?

Thanks for the link.  I like the shapes but I need a template to use as a cutting guide rather than something to draw with.  I cut some materials with a wood burning iron.  

Gonna be too cold to get outside tomorrow so I might work on one using my Dremmel tool.  The regular "C" style tail moves great and catches fish.

10 hours ago, HillTop said:

Flyskinz (dot com)

HT

88a0601d32ab4380d20ae571c6a1bf9b.jpeg.d8100d14c97a58cf52c3cf69d3af4e79.jpeg

So cool, l would think the transfer of one the patterns to metal or plastic to use as a guide. HT you always find the neat stuff.

10 hours ago, captkenroy said:

Thanks for the link.  I like the shapes but I need a template to use as a cutting guide rather than something to draw with.  I cut some materials with a wood burning iron.  

Gonna be too cold to get outside tomorrow so I might work on one using my Dremmel tool.  The regular "C" style tail moves great and catches fish.

Hey Capt,

We just ordered a neat new fibrer laser system for work.    Hoping to have it installed and operational sometime late March.    Making metal cutting templates, (stainless or aluminum),  like these tracing templates would be a piece of cake and if you haven't found a solution by then maybe something I can whip up in a jiffy.   Who knows maybe a new revenue stream to help pay for the new laser.  :)

HT

Man that sounds good!  I've made wooden templates that work OK with the wood burning tool.  One particular fabric I love to work with is Lame'.  You can't beat it for sparkle and it works well with most indelible markers.  The templates must be fery smooth if you are cutting Mylar because a little skip or nick will cause the tails to tear pretty quickly.  The silicone is more forgiving

Flies tied with the little silicone C tails are deadly here but the tails are quickly destroyed by Pinfish and Mangrove Snapper.  I generally add a loop to the front end of the C-tail and a snap on my fly.  I can change a damaged C-tail in seconds but the Silicone tail are a little pricey, especially when I go through 20-30 in a morning.

I like to use a large C-tail in a Hollow tye. Snook and Tarpon jump right on.

It wouldn't surprise me If you started a good market with the laser cut templates.  You might try cutting the templates out of a flat cooking spatula.  That would give you a good handle to work with.  I spent several hours hack sawing, grinding and filing on a spatula but the finished product wasn't very spectacular. 

I love gizmos..

Edited by captkenroy
omission

I just remembered something.  Some synthetic materials, wide stuff in particular, sound like a buzz bomb going over on the cast and I never know where my fly is going to land--usually not where I wanted it. I try to use tough materials like Ultra Suede.

I probably wouldn't notice the sound these days because I am just about deaf.  

Speaking of sound--I've watched Tarpon move 20 feet to eat a fly with a Pulse Disk in water so muddy they couldn't possibly see it until it was right in their face.

2 hours ago, captkenroy said:

I just remembered something.  Some synthetic materials, wide stuff in particular, sound like a buzz bomb going over on the cast and I never know where my fly is going to land--usually not where I wanted it. I try to use tough materials like Ultra Suede.

I probably wouldn't notice the sound these days because I am just about deaf.  

Speaking of sound--I've watched Tarpon move 20 feet to eat a fly with a Pulse Disk in water so muddy they couldn't possibly see it until it was right in their face.

I bought a Pulse Disc sample pack at Bears Den a few years back to try.    Even found a neat way to make my own but haven't used one but once or twice.....don't know anyone else that uses them regularly either.   Not sure they've caught on or possibly some folks think it deviates too far from the "fly fishing" norm.

HT

I don't advocate hanging cut bait on my fly but I am dang sure not a purist.  The Pulse Disc makes casting a PITA for me but they make a fly so incredibly effective in some situations that I use them a lot.  It's not just the incredible action they give to long flies.  The vibration must be felt to be believed.  I wish I'd been the one to invent the Pulse Disc.  A large Bulkhead Mullet with a Pulse Disc is, hands down, my favorite Tarpon bait when they are feeding on Mullet

I incorporate spinners into some flies as well as stick on fingernails.  Yeah, I use a drop of Shedder crab oil to a fly fairly often when blind casting in muddy water.  Re: Shedder crab oil--it makes the difference between 1 bite for 20-30 cast right in the face of 10-40# Black Drum to a bite every 5 casts or so.  

When I was chartering, murky water made for poor catches unless I chummed in an area with a little visibility.  It made catching a fish pretty often with minimal poling a lot easier rather than poling several miles with precious few shots.  I explained this to my clients and most agreed to the chumming.  There were a few purists, however.

Flies for saltwater are sort of a misnomer.  There are almost 0 insect species in saltwater.  Niches that insects fill in freshwater are completely filled by crustaceans in salt water.

Re: spinners and spoons.  The Hilderbrandt Flicker Fly is, hands down, the best big Bluegill (fly) ever invented.  I've caught 20 Bluegills on 20 casts many times when the situation was right.  I'd rather fish a popper, though.

A curly tail would be nice made out of pork rind ?   or maybe punched out of a piece of thin leather.?  That would hold up? 

I honestly don't know if there is a pork rind curl tail.  I'll google Uncle Josh and look at their catalog.  I caught tons of Redfish on the Uncle Josh pork frog many years ago but haven't used one in years because I hate how pork rind bottles leaked salt water into my tackle box.  GULP juice is a lot worse because it stinks.  A small soft plastic frog (Bass lure) is a killer for Redfish and Snook too.  I think they mistake it for a swimming crab.

Chamois is a thin leather made out of some sort of sheep or goat.  It is super flexible and pretty tough too.  You gotta limit the amount of chamois you use because it soaks up water and gets heavy.  I don't have that problem with synthetics like Mylar and Lame.

I started grinding a cutting template out of a stainless steel sandwich spreader just before dark.  I'm using my Dremmel tool with thin cut off wheels. Tomorrow is supposed to be a rainy day so I'll spend some time in my shop.  Using stainless steel, I will be able to use my wood burning tool to cut and seal synthetic material like Lame.

Edited by captkenroy

Finally, the flies.  I tied these yesterday and tested them too.  They come alive at the slightest twitch or slowest pull.  I'm sure they will swim in light current.  I've caught lots of fish drifting one of these flies behind my yak.

The second fly is just about as easy as it gets.  I added a drop of sparkle fingernail polish to the end of the tails.  Could use fluorescent colors to the ends too.

P1300014.JPG

P1300015.JPG