Pjstevko

Yellowtail season

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm really hoping to cross yt off my fishing life list and was wondering what time of year is best to target socal yellowtail? 

I'm also looking for recommendations on headboats out of areas like Long Beach through San Diego..... 

Best time of year: July - Nov. Although some would argue it's become a year-round deal now. Perhaps, especially considering that the typical slow months of Dec - March, you could go catch YT on a 1.5 day trip out of San Diego, fishing Colonet.

I had my best trips on YT in 2017 fishing Tanner Bank on 1.5 day trips (once out of SD on Pacific Queen, and another out of 22nd Street LA on Freedom), both in October.

The pic is my smallest YT, mid October, at the Tanner. It was WFO. Best YT fishing I have ever seen. No fish under 20#. Biggest was ~45#.

20171011_123540.jpg

I was hoping to go in April which according to both posts above isn't exactly the best time of year..... Maybe I'll wait until the fall to increase my chances of landing a yellowtail 

On 1/18/2018 at 7:46 PM, Pjstevko said:

I was hoping to go in April which according to both posts above isn't exactly the best time of year..... Maybe I'll wait until the fall to increase my chances of landing a yellowtail 

Depends on bait. If you have live squid, it can be really good.

Yellowtail is pretty much a year round fish for us down here at the Channel Islands. Fin bait works for us, but candy bait never hurts.

If you go through San Diego, try the San Diego. It's a 3/4 day boat out of Seaforth landing. Best time is summer months. It's hit and miss right now. They had limits yesterday and only 3 today. Fun gamefish especially when the big ones bite.

IMG_20170816_112508_962.jpg