pmjasper

Lure Clips and Split Rings

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Quick question regarding lure clips, like the ones made by Tactical Anglers and split rings.

I purchased some clips (50lb, 75lb, 125lb) clips and have run into a little issue that I would like some insight on.

I am normally a big proponent of using split rings on the front of my lures and typically replace and add heavy duty split rings to them.  I feel like the split rings allow for more movement (wiggle), which is why I like having them on the lures.

That stated, when utilizing lures with split rings and a lure clip, for ease in changing lures, I typically have some trouble getting the lure on the clip.  The split ring typically shifts and is difficult to get onto the clip.

I typically use the 75lb clips, which can be a tight fit when trying to get the split ring between the body of the clip and the arm the lure slides over, to connect to the clip.  While I could bump up to the 125lb clip, with a bit more spacing for the split ring, I’m not sure I want to move up to that larger size clip.

Therefore, I’m wondering what everyone’s take is on utilizing split rings with lure clips.

Should I just remove the front split rings on my lured and make a direct connection from lure eye to lure clip?  

Should I up the size clip I use to 125lb to have greater spacing to get the split ring on the clip?

In the end, I like having split rings on my lures but if it takes 20 minutes to get the split ring on the clip to change my lure, it seems counter-productive.

Thanks guys.

i worry my knot will slide on the split ring and get chafed / cut by the sharp end of the split ring

i feel the clips give enough free motion for the lure to swim as designed and plenty secure / free of sharp edges

that said, and i dont do a lot of boat jigging but seems like strong split rings is how tuna and deep jiggers swap out different size / weight / color jigs

- leader and stinger hooks to a solid welded ring then connected to the jig by a split ring

- also seen that set up on big game plugs, P. Sebile's recommendation for fishing some of his plugs

1 hour ago, pmjasper said:

Hello all,

Quick question regarding lure clips, like the ones made by Tactical Anglers and split rings.

I purchased some clips (50lb, 75lb, 125lb) clips and have run into a little issue that I would like some insight on.

I am normally a big proponent of using split rings on the front of my lures and typically replace and add heavy duty split rings to them.  I feel like the split rings allow for more movement (wiggle), which is why I like having them on the lures.

That stated, when utilizing lures with split rings and a lure clip, for ease in changing lures, I typically have some trouble getting the lure on the clip.  The split ring typically shifts and is difficult to get onto the clip.

I typically use the 75lb clips, which can be a tight fit when trying to get the split ring between the body of the clip and the arm the lure slides over, to connect to the clip.  While I could bump up to the 125lb clip, with a bit more spacing for the split ring, I’m not sure I want to move up to that larger size clip.

Therefore, I’m wondering what everyone’s take is on utilizing split rings with lure clips.

Should I just remove the front split rings on my lured and make a direct connection from lure eye to lure clip?  

Should I up the size clip I use to 125lb to have greater spacing to get the split ring on the clip?

In the end, I like having split rings on my lures but if it takes 20 minutes to get the split ring on the clip to change my lure, it seems counter-productive.

Thanks guys.

That’s not an uncommon issue. I find it frustrating as well. Although I haven’t tried it yet, an SOL member suggested attaching a barrel swivel to the split ring and then attach the barrel swivel to the clip. Sounds like a good idea. Again, I haven’t tried it yet but it sounds reasonable...

or leave splits on your plugs

leave leader tied to barrel swivel 

and swap them that way

for me, clip to swivel to split ring to plug is too much hardware

we do put bigger barrel swivels on the head hook of our riggies before closing the gap

- then tie direct to barrel or clip to barrel if being lazy switching between plugs / riggies 

4 mins ago, PhillyHillBilly said:

Split comes off my plugs. 

So do you tie direct or use something else like a coast lock? The recessed lure eyes are a pain in the balls with TA clips. If you can manage to get the clip on a recessed eye, at times, they are a real struggle unclip. How do you get around it?

8 mins ago, OU812 said:

So do you tie direct or use something else like a coast lock? The recessed lure eyes are a pain in the balls with TA clips. If you can manage to get the clip on a recessed eye, at times, they are a real struggle unclip. How do you get around it?

Usually using a ta clip, it depends on what I’m doing / fishing for.  I can’t think of a plug I’ve had a hard time getting a clip on.  Maybe certain poppers, don’t have an issue with mine.  

If it’s a popper leave the split on if it makes it easier?   

32 mins ago, PhillyHillBilly said:

Usually using a ta clip, it depends on what I’m doing / fishing for.  I can’t think of a plug I’ve had a hard time getting a clip on.  Maybe certain poppers, don’t have an issue with mine.  

If it’s a popper leave the split on if it makes it easier?   

Primarily poppers but really anything with a cupped face and recessed eye. I’ve also cursed a few times with some shad bodies and bucktails where the thickness of the eye is troublesome...

3 hours ago, pmjasper said:

Hello all,

Thanks guys.

actually the clip does the very same thing as the ring does.

on just 2 of my plastic plugs I kept the ring on for the times I fish late fall for small fish.

in doing it that way if I use a clip I just lay the ring to the side and clip the plug on and go fishing,the ring stays on and with the clip is on too.

no problem unless the eye is very tiny.

when I tie direct I use the ring and it's still no problem.

HH