Update to the reselling rules to address 'flipping'

TimS

• 4 weeks later...

Recently purchased 2 super strike show specials with the idea of fishing and having a spare. Once home and looking at the two exact same plugs thought I could try to trade for another show special of a different color pattern.

I started a new trade post and at first I didn't really think it would be considered flipping but 10 minutes later it occurred to me this might fall under that catagory and locked it on my own.

Should I have left it open or made the right move locking it down?

• 4 weeks later...

That’s the problem with rules, they often affect people they weren’t intended to. Trading one shoe special for another shouldn’t be considered flipping, it’s a lateral kinda trade. One for one, equal value, etc. The problem with allowing a certain kinda trade for a show plug and not allowing others is explaining the difference in a manner that everyone understands. 

To to be honest, I’m open to the discussion of allowing one for one trades of new plugs. They would be of equal enough value that it shouldn’t be considered flipping, right? No kickers, no cash...one for one.

Any one got any thoughts on this?

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

• 9 months later...

Very interesting read. I am new to the site, so my viewpoint probably won't matter much, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

The way I see it, there appears to be an "ethical" dilemma of "flipping" which is in turn attempting to be "governed" by "rules/law". Here in itself lies the problem. Law must be clearly defined to be enforced without bias, yet an ethical issue will never be able to have exacting boundaries. Simply put, there will never be black and white, clear cut stipulations as far as an ethical issue is concerned, an hence trying to create "law" to govern that which cannot be clearly defined only muddies the water.

I, myself can appreciate both sides of this argument. I will admit, that I have already bought several plugs on this site, that I solely purchased for the intent on trading later just because I knew it was a good deal. Technically, that might be able to be interpreted as "flipping", but common guys, that's just common sense. I know that the first response is going to be, "but that's not really flipping" and that is my exact point. If it was to be properly governed, it would have to be clearly defined.

I think the main issue here is when blatent abuse takes place, and unfortunately I think the best way to deal with that is no rules at all. A simple 3 strikes, you're out policy is all you really need, but also unfortunate would be the burden upon the site owner (which I believe to be TimS) to assume a "god" role. I understand you want to be as fair as possible to all parties involved, but when it comes down to it, SOL is your site, if you or a mod see's something they don't like, give a warning, maybe even two, and that's it. See ya. If they don't understand the site was designed by fisherman, for fisherman, they prob aren't needed here to begin with.

My best advice when trying to convey your standpoint on ethics is to simply lead by example, so in the spirit of this ethical delimma, I'll do just that...

I propose to start a thread of a free plug. This has only one stipulation, if you receive a free plug (common guys, make it a good one) from someone, you in turn have to pay it forward to someone else here on SOL. I will start it off with the first person to reply to this thread, but the next can be giving to anyone for any reason (preferably an act of kindness or the sorts). Once received you log your gift to the thread with a pic and who it was from. Let's see how long we can keep that going!

Happy New Year and Tight Lines!

Edited by packetinternetgroper

27 mins ago, packetinternetgroper said:

Very interesting read. I am new to the site, so my viewpoint probably won't matter much, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

The way I see it, there appears to be an "ethical" dilemma of "flipping" which is in turn attempting to be "governed" by "rules/law". Here in itself lies the problem. Law must be clearly defined to be enforced without bias, yet an ethical issue will never be able to have exacting boundaries. Simply put, there will never be black and white, clear cut stipulations as far as an ethical issue is concerned, an hence trying to create "law" to govern that which cannot be clearly defined only muddies the water.

I, myself can appreciate both sides of this argument. I will admit, that I have already bought several plugs on this site, that I solely purchased for the intent on trading later just because I knew it was a good deal. Technically, that might be able to be interpreted as "flipping", but common guys, that's just common sense. I know that the first response is going to be, "but that's not really flipping" and that is my exact point. If it was to be properly governed, it would have to be clearly defined.

I think the main issue here is when blatent abuse takes place, and unfortunately I think the best way to deal with that is no rules at all. A simple 3 strikes, you're out policy is all you really need, but also unfortunate would be the burden upon the site owner (which I believe to be TimS) to assume a "god" role. I understand you want to be as fair as possible to all parties involved, but when it comes down to it, SOL is your site, if you or a mod see's something they don't like, give a warning, maybe even two, and that's it. See ya. If they don't understand the site was designed by fisherman, for fisherman, they prob aren't needed here to begin with.

My best advice when trying to convey your standpoint on ethics is to simply lead by example, so in the spirit of this ethical delimma, I'll do just that...

I propose to start a thread of a free plug. This has only one stipulation, if you receive a free plug (common guys, make it a good one) from someone, you in turn have to pay it forward to someone else here on SOL. I will start it off with the first person to reply to this thread, but the next can be giving to anyone for any reason (preferably an act of kindness or the sorts). Once received you log your gift to the thread with a pic and who it was from. Let's see how long we can keep that going!

Happy New Year and Tight Lines!

There has been many threads with plugs given with the thoughts of keeping it going. 

They seem to fizzle over time. 

Im thinking that you may want to start one in the main forum. 

As far as the flipping goes. This seems to be more of an issue right after the shows. It appears that monitoring the plug for sale forum is a full time job. There has been a lot of nice plugs up lately. 

Happy new year to all.

troll #122  <*)))<

4 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

There has been many threads with plugs given with the thoughts of keeping it going. 

They seem to fizzle over time. 

Im thinking that you may want to start one in the main forum. 

As far as the flipping goes. This seems to be more of an issue right after the shows. It appears that monitoring the plug for sale forum is a full time job. There has been a lot of nice plugs up lately. 

Happy new year to all.

Been tried before huh?  Your thread to start now, lol.  I'll pm ya... 

As always, I appreciate the insight and discussion. We have effectively defined the types of flipping we don’t want here. One is people that turn it into a type of business. The other is the reselling of a recently purchased brand new plugs. The first one contains much more gray area than the latter.  

While we are all for the plug giveaway idea - and there have been literally hundreds of threads like that - please start it in the Main Forum :) This forum is the right place for flipping discussions..but not for plug giveaways...this is the least visited forum on the site :) 

TimS

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

2 mins ago, TimS said:

As always, I appreciate the insight and discussion. We have effectively defined the types of flipping we don’t want here. One is people that turn it into a type of business. The other is the reselling of a recently purchased brand new plugs. The first one contains much more gray area than the latter.  

While we are all for the plug giveaway idea - and there have been literally hundreds of threads like that - please start it in the Main Forum :) This forum is the right place for flipping discussions..but not for plug giveaways...this is the least visited forum on the site :) 

TimS

I realize i was reading older posts, but that was the link in the rules.  Did the rest of this discussion get moved elsewhere?

21 mins ago, packetinternetgroper said:

Been tried before huh?  Your thread to start now, lol.  I'll pm ya... 

It's all you bud,

I have given and received plenty over the years here.

Maybe you can add your own "twist" to it. 

Heres an idea, a giveaway for someone who has say a year or less on the site or a giveaway for someone who is under 20 years old.

As Tim said the main is the place to start such a giveaway,  I did not reply to your post with the intention of a plug. I would pass this to the next in line.:wave:

troll #122  <*)))<

• 4 months later...

I don’t understand esp in the current climate we are in 20 million unemployed, I bought some Bm pikies a couple weeks ago, I bought a few to many so I put 2 up for sales for exalty what I paid Added 10 bucks for shipping what’s wrong with that. I 60 day hold isn’t going to stop plug flipping in fact it will get only inflate the prices. It will also take traffic from the site I applaud Tims for standing up to plug resellers knowing that it could hurt his pockets in the end as well,I just don’t understand it if I’m sellers no plugs for exactly what I paid how does it hurt the builder 

6 hours ago, Godsson38 said:

I don’t understand esp in the current climate we are in 20 million unemployed, I bought some Bm pikies a couple weeks ago, I bought a few to many so I put 2 up for sales for exalty what I paid Added 10 bucks for shipping what’s wrong with that. I 60 day hold isn’t going to stop plug flipping in fact it will get only inflate the prices. It will also take traffic from the site I applaud Tims for standing up to plug resellers knowing that it could hurt his pockets in the end as well,I just don’t understand it if I’m sellers no plugs for exactly what I paid how does it hurt the builder 

If you sell them for what you paid for them - go for it - these two plugs :th:

TimS

On 5/5/2020 at 11:11 AM, Godsson38 said:

I dont really have a problem with that.

Its the guys who buy 2 plugs, think they bought to many and want to resell them for double what they just paid.  Some place market value is tossed in there.

Its not just Tim in that discussion either.  Most builders aren't happy about it.  Maybe the person who the plugs were purchased from isn't happy either.

Alot of builders have been very generous over the years as far as donations go for SOL fundraisers too.