Too cold for bass?

Rate this topic

bido

There were Threshers washing up in NY that died from getting caught in a cold pool of water. It was an interesting read.  Same probably happened to these Bass, got shocked from the extreme temp change and floated up and froze. Hell, I'd chip one out and fillet it up :D

I’m curious if some of these fish were upside down, partially frozen, but still alive? I’ve seen videos, never striped bass but several different kids of fish, where the fish looked dead & was upside down under or partially encased in ice. Slightly warmed up, the fish slowly recovers. Hell, videos of the alligators in ice, nostrils out & barely breathing have been all over the web recently. They’re cold blooded and fish are too. Interesting if disturbing story otherwise. 

23 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Dude, when you say it's "fact" that its pollution, you're wrong.  If it was pollution then that would happen daily.  I mean you don't live down here like I do so how are you gonna say that is fact.  That's how misinformation spreads and if you truly don't know 100% then don't even try to prove you know the whole story.  That's near chincoteague... is that the Chesapeake bay? Wrong. Pollution main culprit? Wrong.  What you are doing is speculating.  I'm calling you out on BS.  My posts are a reaction to it which I took way too far.  

The chespaeake bay is in bad shape, that's a fact. Going so far to call it a "toxic dump" is ignorant.  Toxic dump is very strong and a toxic dump gives off the image in ones head of it being a cess pool in which nothing can live.  The fishing is still good in the bay, but is still a shadow of itself. 

Nothing in your quote at the bottom of your post suggests pollution.  Nothing.

Keep on thinking what you want... you're throwing darts.  Have a great season.  

If the Chesapeake isnt a toxic dump its close too it,dont need to live anywhere near there to see the effects on striped bass,two seasons ago almost every other bass i caught in NY waters had what looked like Mycobacteriosis,and its a fact that more than 70 percent of Chesapeake fish are affected which should have us alarmed more so than the occassional winter kill,my guess is that those particular fish died of shock due to an extreme change in water temperature over a short period of time,but if the Chesapeake is that polluted it raises questions of whether the likelihood of survival might have been better in a cleaner body of water.

9 mins ago, relentless pursuit said:

If the Chesapeake isnt a toxic dump its close too it,dont need to live anywhere near there to see the effects on striped bass,two seasons ago almost every other bass i caught in NY waters had what looked like Mycobacteriosis,and its a fact that more than 70 percent of Chesapeake fish are affected which should have us alarmed more so than the occassional winter kill,my guess is that those particular fish died of shock due to an extreme change in water temperature over a short period of time,but if the Chesapeake is that polluted it raises questions of whether the likelihood of survival might have been better in a cleaner body of water.

They weren't in the Chesapeake. They were ocean side. 55 miles north of the mouth of the bay. 

Edited by PhilCVG

26 mins ago, relentless pursuit said:

How about this. Read... like... actually read what I said before quoting and flaming me. 

Never did did I say that he's wrong about it being polluted.  It's in bad shape.  Fishing is a shadow if itself. You quoted my post. 

Toxic dump to the average reader gives off an image of being a cess pool in which nothing can live.  <- straight or of what I said. 

Chesapeake is my home water and I've been fishing it for a long time (relative to my age) and it rubs off on me when guys who have never been exposed to it talk like that about it.  If I brought you to a couple of spots I know you would have a **** grin as wide as the bay is long, especially this past November.  I had better fishing there this fall than I did driving up to New Jersey, but this year was definitely an off year.  Out of easily 200 or so fish I caught, Maybe 10 fish exhibited myco, which I find surprising myself but that's what the deal was.  Middle bay, and I know that amount of fish is not a good enough sample size

This didn't even happen in the bay.  Dude here is sounding the alarm about something that didn't even happen there.  We all know about the Chesapeake and we don't need to reiterate the obvious.  I know, I live here. 

I know where the kill occured,lived in Delaware for part of my life,and i know what this thread is about not trying to throw if off topic,but the  sight of 1 big winter kill is too much for some,the effects of Mycobacteriosis are far greater but will never have the same impact on people because the fish die slowly and not all at once.And to say that fishing is good in the Chesapeake is fine? well thats just a ruse,as most of those fish die prematurely and effects every single striped bass fishermen regardless where you live.How much better would the fishing be if the bay can be cleaned up? Maybe the impact of a winter kill or several may not be so detrimental to the overall stocks if most of those Chesapeake fish reach maturity and are able to successfully breed for several seasons.

19 hours ago, christopherr said:

Here is an image of the lower Hudson. Not a single fish kill and even further north the coast guard is breaking the ice for shipping commerce to continue.

There are many shallows that freeze over all the time and they don't always or usually die.

Where are the federal marine biologists?

did they do an o2 test?

salinity test?

pollution / microbial tests?

So no tests from the scientists? Then this is all speculation. That is all. I don't care who does or doesn't agree. The average low is 28 degrees in North Carolina so freezing over while not common, happens, and I truly believe the fish are well equipped to survive it.

So please continue to speculate without any proof. Till we see some tests from the scientists, then no one will really know. 

I am not referring to warm water outflows either. I'm talking about locations where bass live and thrive through fridgid temps, and do so quite well. Until these kills are studied, you are all guessing. Myself included.:howdy:

And to add to this, North Carolina was not the only state to experience this cold. THe whole eastern seaboard did but hey only one small section of water had this kill. Surely, this must've been the only body of water holding stripers at the time in NC right?????? 

It didnt happen on the other other side of the bay on Virginias shallow flats did it? Oh. That's very interesting. I guess,  only the NC side had fish in it. I also guess that NC was the only state to experience the cold snap. :kook:

NC had a HUGE fish kill this winter on the specks. you also can't compare a  large river like the hudson with deep water very near by to a back bay spot that is shallow.  Shallow water + cold snap = cools a lot faster vs a river with deep channels.

11 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

NC had a HUGE fish kill this winter on the specks. you also can't compare a  large river like the hudson with deep water very near by to a back bay spot that is shallow.  Shallow water + cold snap = cools a lot faster vs a river with deep channels.

its real dirty in the south just admit it.   thats why we have places like harvey degrace where we do testing on the rednecks and pollute their rivers and land. 

looks like your boy came unhinged. 

31 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

its real dirty in the south just admit it.   thats why we have places like harvey degrace where we do testing on the rednecks and pollute their rivers and land. 

looks like your boy came unhinged. 

I'll take the south over the north any day. I'd LOVE to move much further south but the job market and pay just aren't there. As for him, that's none of my business lol

31 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

Word.  From the Sandy Hook Bay as far north as Newburg, the AVERAGE depth is 50'.  Just north of Pough-Vegas it's +100' in spots.  The Chesie is alluvial plain.  The Hudson fjord was gouged by glaciation.  Really no comparison to the Hudson anywhere on the east coast...

1 hour ago, kurazy kracka said:

I'll take the south over the north any day. I'd LOVE to move much further south but the job market and pay just aren't there. As for him, that's none of my business lol

Alright  Im going to put you down as my second most tolerated southerner  

1) George Washington

2) Kurazy Kracka 

3 hours ago, relentless pursuit said:

I know where the kill occured,lived in Delaware for part of my life,and i know what this thread is about not trying to throw if off topic,but the  sight of 1 big winter kill is too much for some,the effects of Mycobacteriosis are far greater but will never have the same impact on people because the fish die slowly and not all at once.And to say that fishing is good in the Chesapeake is fine? well thats just a ruse,as most of those fish die prematurely and effects every single striped bass fishermen regardless where you live.How much better would the fishing be if the bay can be cleaned up? Maybe the impact of a winter kill or several may not be so detrimental to the overall stocks if most of those Chesapeake fish reach maturity and are able to successfully breed for several seasons.

You can pick apart what I said all you want all I'm saying it was a good season this fall. 

You still havent read my posts. Fishing is a shadow of itself. I said that. Maybe you should go back and cover the bases before you make it seem like I said something I didn't. 

Anyone with a rough knowledge of the bay has to be able to put 2 and 2 together to know that the fishing and Chesapeake fish would be much better off if it was cleaner but it isn't that easy. There's a lot work that needs to be done to do that and it all starts with conowingo dam which could destroy the bay entirely but that's a whole other subject.