ccb

Peocock bass/ waterways?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Do you know if there are Peacock Bass in the Apollo and Jupiter waterway canals in Port Charlotte.   Is it warm enough or do you have to go lower to get them?  

21 hours ago, Dansmith said:

When I was down there a local guide told me the farthest north they go is a body near PBI, but most fresh bodies have them up to that point.

not sure if that helps you

what is PBI

On 1/14/2018 at 0:44 PM, Dansmith said:

Sorry, West palm airport. The northern most body of water that reliably holds peackocks Is around the airport.

I met a guy on the jetty of PB Inlet a month ago who fishes the canals and ponds in a commercial office area near the airport. He showed me several photos with peacocks to 8+ pounds. He showed me where on a map but I have forgotten exactly where. 

Has as anyone who pursues them regularly noted any change with that spate of cold weather we had? 

I don't think they are up that far north on the southwestern coast.  I've never even caught one on the western coast, but they are in just about every waterway in southeastern Florida.  Not sure about northward to Jupiter though. 

Farthest North is around the Lake Osborne or so. They are in the canals - specially the Rio canal that winds down to Boca & farther south.

Google is your friend....

4 hours ago, gman1253 said:

Farthest North is around the Lake Osborne or so. They are in the canals - specially the Rio canal that winds down to Boca & farther south.

Google is your friend....

RIO Canal is on the east coast correct, Boca, meaning Boca Raton, I was confused, Boca, thought you meant sw fla Boca Grande. Close to Port Charlotte.

No big deal, I too have  been searching for Peacocks in the s.west part of the state. Believe you have to head south of Naples, the canals  along of RT41, towards Chokolosskee.

12 mins ago, Fly Time said:

RIO Canal is on the east coast correct, Boca, meaning Boca Raton, I was confused, Boca, thought you meant sw fla Boca Grande. Close to Port Charlotte.

No big deal, I too have  been searching for Peacocks in the s.west part of the state. Believe you have to head south of Naples, the canals  along of RT41, towards Chokolosskee.

Sorry -- yea Boca Raton. 

Peas are in the Naples area. I catch em in my mother in laws back yard of her complex. It's a private gated one. 

She did say the past cold snap has a lot of dead fish floating, hope it  s not the peas.

3 hours ago, NJ Dave said:

Peas are in the Naples area. I catch em in my mother in laws back yard of her complex. It's a private gated one. 

She did say the past cold snap has a lot of dead fish floating, hope it  s not the peas.

Dave, it’s the peas. My son went this afternoon, and is convinced they’re  gone. Perhaps a little dramatic, but, he also reports lots of pea skeletons on shore, and the otters have been feasting.

Oh man, that would really suck

I finally found em so close to home and now they are scarce. 

Looks like you had a good stay with your son. I'm going to pick you ear for that baby snook spot. Looked nice and accessible.

The bad thing about getting cold weather is that it cuts the Peacock's range back down the southern part of Florida. As I understand it, they can't survive when the water temp gets below 70deg. People have tried putting them in the canals in Martin county and they didn't survive.