BillyBallGame

Swift River Reports?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Anyone have any good resources for swift river reports? I’m assuming it’s ice free right now, want to possibly head there tomorrow or Monday. Anyone know how it generally fishes this time of year? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine you are asking about the fly fishing only stretch from R.t 9 to the dam............If that's the case this water is fished year,round, the flow, temperature and water clarity are constant.  That being said most if not all fly patterns will work, just remember these fish are fussy and have probably seen it all.  Personally I would use a streamer pattern fished as slow as possible but what do I know.......................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, b-ware said:

I imagine you are asking about the fly fishing only stretch from R.t 9 to the dam............If that's the case this water is fished year,round, the flow, temperature and water clarity are constant.  That being said most if not all fly patterns will work, just remember these fish are fussy and have probably seen it all.  Personally I would use a streamer pattern fished as slow as possible but what do I know.......................

Thanks B-ware very helpful. I’m going to try just that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interested to hear how you made out.  We've just had a big snowmelt with all of that rain.  Naturally what comes out of the dam will remain constant but the runoff might muck up the clarity a bit.  Maybe that will help.  Lots of trout there, but like b-ware said, those trout have seen it all and most probably 3 fishermen have already worked their way though whaterver section you choose to fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BillyBallGame said:

Anyone have any good resources for swift river reports? I’m assuming it’s ice free right now, want to possibly head there tomorrow or Monday. Anyone know how it generally fishes this time of year? 

let us know how it goes??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clambellies said:

Interested to hear how you made out.  We've just had a big snowmelt with all of that rain.  Naturally what comes out of the dam will remain constant but the runoff might muck up the clarity a bit.  Maybe that will help.  Lots of trout there, but like b-ware said, those trout have seen it all and most probably 3 fishermen have already worked their way though whaterver section you choose to fish.

 

34 mins ago, codfish said:

let us know how it goes??

Will do, actually going to head there tomorrow morning. I’ll report back. Going to tie a few real ugly streamers today in preparation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BillyBallGame said:

 

Will do, actually going to head there tomorrow morning. I’ll report back. Going to tie a few real ugly streamers today in preparation 

Bring some shiners and night crawlers just Incase :wee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buds and myself do a float trip down the Swift from the Rt. 9 bridge to the Bondsville dam every so often.  We use canoes and a jon boat, 2 guys in each, and have a blast catching, and sometimes keeping, rainbow, brown and brook trout along with the occasional smallie.  Please understand that the Swift River made famouse by the fly fishing only and the catch section is a man made waterway created by the damming of the original Swift River stream bed and also to facilitate the required by law release of a certain amount of water from the Quabbin Resy.  From Cady Lane to it's merging with the Ware and Quabog rivers it is mostly a natural flowing waterway with many forms of natural structure.  Many of the huge breeders that are stocked in the fly fishing only section drift down stream to a more natural habitat along with more food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, BillyBallGame said:

Haha, night crawler thrown with a fly rod isn’t cheating, right?

Just like using a spinning rod with a bubble and fly..........................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, b-ware said:

My buds and myself do a float trip down the Swift from the Rt. 9 bridge to the Bondsville dam every so often.  We use canoes and a jon boat, 2 guys in each, and have a blast catching, and sometimes keeping, rainbow, brown and brook trout along with the occasional smallie.  Please understand that the Swift River made famouse by the fly fishing only and the catch section is a man made waterway created by the damming of the original Swift River stream bed and also to facilitate the required by law release of a certain amount of water from the Quabbin Resy.  From Cady Lane to it's merging with the Ware and Quabog rivers it is mostly a natural flowing waterway with many forms of natural structure.  Many of the huge breeders that are stocked in the fly fishing only section drift down stream to a more natural habitat along with more food.

Real interesting stuff Bernie. I've never fisher below Cady Lane, now I intend to check it out.

So Bernie, heres a question for you. As you know my mom was born

and raised on Bourne St in Three Rivers. My mom also had an uncle who owned a farm in town. He raised cows, rabbits, chicken and ducks. My mom told me this story many so it must have a ring of truth to it.  She said as a young girl her uncle would take her out in a rowboat to a river in town.  They'd row out to the middle, anchor and begin fishing. The were fishing for eels. Large eels. Once caught, they'd place them in a bushel apple basket and cover them with wet burlap until they returned home. These eels were a real treat and the whole family enjoyed them.

So since you're far more familiar with the area Bernie, what river do you think it was? The Ware, Swift and Chicopee all converge there. I thinking it might be the Chicopee since its the largest. Your thoughts.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.