Cutbait Bob

This past cold snap killed a few stripers in the Bay

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

That short video is hard to watch. It does not bode well for the spring run. Over the  New Years holiday week my local Virginia reservoir (small lake) froze over enough to walk on. In twenty some years this has happened maybe 3 times? Tough weather extremes.

That's a decent size school.   I'm surprised the birds aren't pecking the crap out of them, maybe the video crew scared them off.    It's such a short video clip but I didn't notice any huge breeders among the dead.   Still a shame.   :cry:   

1 min ago, flylikabird said:

That's a decent size school.   I'm surprised the birds aren't pecking the crap out of them, maybe the video crew scared them off.    It's such a short video clip but I didn't notice any huge breeders among the dead.   Still a shame.   :cry:   

Those are all 30+ lbrs

Wow!   They look like 30-35 inch bass from the video.   If they were much bigger that really, really suxx!   What a shame!   This thread now makes me think of my local freshwater holes and how they've been effected.  In the past I've seen kills from lack of oxygen or so the EP's said were to blame.  I'd trudge on through the left over ice and leftover snow, through the mud and finally get near the water's edge and see the Seagulls going crazy.  That's when it hits you along with the smell of death that a lot of fish got eff up.   I guess it's all part of the circle of life.   

I was so thankful this morning that we didn't lose power during our storm and my sump pumps ran during the appropriate time to flush all the melted snow away from my basement.   I do know that my area did need all of this rain to help out the ponds and lakes to be ready for the return of the Herring.   Spring will be here before you know boys and girls.   Something good to look forward to.  :)  

^^^^^

i can’t imagine that they are that big. That looks back bay VA which is pretty shallow and probably trapped a bunch of schoolies which are a dime a dozen down here. Damn shame, it’s an area I fish often on the yak. At least it was natural and going to the crabs, not to go off tangent, the gill netters down here get me way more upset.

Edited by Jason B

Wow, some of those fish look to be pretty big.  I would have thought that any of the larger migratory Stripers would have already migrated out to deeper water.  It seemed like it was relatively warm up until we got the cold snap and then it got really cold really fast.  I guess it got cold too fast before the instinct to get to deeper water kicked in.    That's a real shame ...