Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ferret

extension cord question for electricians

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

My boat's slip has 30 amp power.  My boat has a 120 volt 12 amp dual battery charger.  I have the 30 amp to 15 amp 120 volt adapter. I have a 25' 30 amp extension cord, but I hate using it because it's heavy and inflexible, is it safe to plug the adapter into the shore power outlet and use a 15 amp 120 volt extension cord?

30 Amps is an awful lot of available current on a 15 Amp cord. Might want to come up with a mini breaker panel that had a couple of 15 & 20 amp outlets. Then plug that into the 30 Amp source. The example in the picture is kinda fancy, but...

71jScte0hfL._SL1500_.jpg

For idiots, I would agree with the above. But if you know your device is drawing substantially less than the 15 amps, and it is the only thing running on it, then it will be fine as long as you don't go too long of a cord. Great idea and if you wanna say "up to code"? No, but some people are more intelligent than having to be constrained by over zealous codes..... ;)

14 hours ago, ferret said:

My boat's slip has 30 amp power.  My boat has a 120 volt 12 amp dual battery charger.  I have the 30 amp to 15 amp 120 volt adapter. I have a 25' 30 amp extension cord, but I hate using it because it's heavy and inflexible, is it safe to plug the adapter into the shore power outlet and use a 15 amp 120 volt extension cord?

If you have 120/30a shore power, a pigtail adapter 30a male to 15a female and an extension cord rated 15a you should be fine.  Charger won’t draw more than the 15a max it’s rated for.  

Edit- I meant 12 amps the charger is rated

Edited by JimW

if the charger doesn't have a fuse which I doubt it has, modify the charger with a 15A fuse or use the 30A cord.  The charger might not draw more than 12A under normal conditions but what if there was a short condition in the charger that could exceed 15A on a 30A supply on a 15A cord? the chances are probably a million to one but what if you have to explain any electrical damage to an insurance company.

Edited by rwalter7

thanks fellas, I have most of the gear, just wanted to avoid using the using the super heavy duty cable. My slip is not floating, therefore I need to allow for tides changes and weather, which means tying everything down extra carefully