cashews121

Cape Cod Canal

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I need info from local guys who live in that area,,someone who fishes it a lot.  I want to make a trip there sometime this year,,but I would like to discuss gear,lures,and best time of year. Thanks

50 mins ago, pettypace said:

Interesting that there was no mention of Sebiles,,seems every YouTube video I watch of guys fishing the canal use those.

13 mins ago, FyshhTrap said:

I use jigs A lot, there’s applications for many lure types, check out Dave Anderson on YouTube Canal Bag

Too bad he doesn’t mention rod suggestions

33 mins ago, cashews121 said:

Too bad he doesn’t mention rod suggestions

ODM nxfx 1166, 2-6oz Frontier 

11’6”

thats one of 20 good Canal rods

cashews, a long rod is not needed at the CCC, in a matter of fact a long rod will hamper your fishing and casting due to the fact being so close to riprap and rocks behind you, , plus a longer rod gives a big fish in current advantage in leverage during the fight, 10-10'6", is a good length of rod, NO more than 11ft., , mod.-fast to fast action rod.

cashews, a long rod is not needed at the CCC, in a matter of fact a long rod will hamper your fishing and casting due to the fact being so close to riprap and rocks behind you, , plus a longer rod gives a big fish in current advantage in leverage during the fight, 10-10'6", is a good length of rod, NO more than 11ft., , mod.-fast to fast action rod.

18 hours ago, cashews121 said:

Interesting that there was no mention of Sebiles,,seems every YouTube video I watch of guys fishing the canal use those.

Seems this thread was started in 2001, before sebiles became the must have bait on the canal.

Last season was my first season at the canal , and there are 3 main lures that dominate the market,

1. topwater, (guppy, dragsters etc)

2. 9 inch sebile or the knockoff canal magic swimmer

3. 4-5 oz jig to fish the bottom. 

I'm from Florida and I had a lot of success fishing with flairhawk jigs.

as for rods 10' to 11' is what is mostly used, i used both a 10' and an 11' last season, but for next season I will be going with 2 10', 

It seems amazing that stripers can't find deep water as the cold sets in. Winters in the Northeast are predictably unpredictable with 30 degree temps one week and 10 degree temps the following week.

We live in PA near the Delaware and the Lehigh River loaded with stripers and smallmouth bass and they seem to find a way to survive. Both rivers are relatively shallow in our area.

Edited by glennsav
delete post wrong thread