Sandbar1

Star Stellar Lite

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience with the Star Stellar light surf rod series?

Most of my fishing is done on the canal with longer rods (10'6 or 11) lami, St Croix or TFO. I'm looking to pick up a couple 9 and 10 ft. rods for throwing on the cape beaches and in the surf. Throwing smaller stuff than I usually throw in the canal. Sp, 1oz bucktails, unweighted sluggos and eels. These seem like a decent rod for a very reasonable price.

Ive got two of them. They were the first rods I bought when I got into plugging instead of throwing bait.

The 8footer I have is rated 1/2-2oz. Its usually the rod I use early in the year and for back bays or harbors, very fun rod. Casts minnow plugs and 1 oz bucktails great.

The 9 footer I have is rated 1-4oz I used this rod for years ocean front throwing needles, buck tails and anything up to 3oz, caught several big fish on it never had any issues. For the money I recommend them.

I bought them at Dick's with coupons and would get the warranty bc I'm hard on my gear.

If you want to test drive them I can loan you one when the fish show.

33 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

What is your budget? I may have something better for you.

150 to 200 per rod. I only spend more on gear I will use more often. The canal gets most of my attention so most of my money is spent on gear for there.

Had one maybe 5 years ago? 9ft and change model. Used it as a lite eel rod. Decent rod. Tough to throw snakes with it but was fine for reg eels. Busted it 1st season though. My fault. Had a mid teens bass half-landed 5ish ft below me on a jetty. Wave floated the bass up off the ledge rock I had her on, then dropped out from under her. Obviously she lost all buoyancy and now I had 15lbs of bass crane-ing straight down off my rod tip. Instead of bowing, I denied physics and held on a second too long. Crack. Byebye rod. 

9 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

150 to 200 per rod. I only spend more on gear I will use more often. The canal gets most of my attention so most of my money is spent on gear for there.

Check out CMS in New Bedford. Maybe a little more than your budget but well worth it. Batson Rainshadow RX7 and Lamiglas blanks.

Can't attest to the 10', but have had the 9' and currently have the 8' and they're nice rods for the $$. The back bone will surprise you too. I love my 8' for back bays, and light bucktailing for early season schoolies. Don't get me wrong, its had mid teen fish on it too, with no problems. Highly recommend them for a nice rod on a budget.

8 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Can't attest to the 10', but have had the 9' and currently have the 8' and they're nice rods for the $$. The back bone will surprise you too. I love my 8' for back bays, and light bucktailing for early season schoolies. Don't get me wrong, its had mid teen fish on it too, with no problems. Highly recommend them for a nice rod on a budget.

As you say they have decent backbone. I got into a shop today and gave the 9 ft. a test. I could lean into it pretty well.

I'm still looking around. At this point in the year its mostly just an excuse to play around with some gear.

17 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

As you say they have decent backbone. I got into a shop today and gave the 9 ft. a test. I could lean into it pretty well.

I'm still looking around. At this point in the year its mostly just an excuse to play around with some gear.

Yeah agreed, but dont let the price fool ya, and think its just a low budget rod. I do find them to be just a tad tip heavy because of the larger guides. But i balanced it out nicely with a BG 4000, cause its a little heavier reel, and its an absolute blast to fish! I find it has a nice soft tip and perfect bend when playing fish. I love mine!

1 hour ago, Mack26 said:

Yeah agreed, but dont let the price fool ya, and think its just a low budget rod. I do find them to be just a tad tip heavy because of the larger guides. But i balanced it out nicely with a BG 4000, cause its a little heavier reel, and its an absolute blast to fish! I find it has a nice soft tip and perfect bend when playing fish. I love mine!

Nice to hear, I think that's the exact combo I'm going with. You like the balance of the 4000 size BG?

I do, but im talking the 8'r not 9 just to be clear. I think the 4000 size would be still ok on a 9' as i've casted it on my Mojo and it did fine, but you might step up to a 4500 if you are going above that in length. 

It balanced really well on my 8'. I fished it hard in the late fall, and found myself reaching for it a lot, just because it was so fun to fish. I would recommend it, even if it was just your backup. But you find yourself putting into your regular rotation!

I have the 8 and the 10. I love them both, my 8 is almost 15 years old and has taken some big fish with no issues. I like the 10 as well I have it paired with a bailless 6500 spinfisher. The 8 has really been one of the best all around rods I've ever owned, including custom and factory Lamis.