Jwalker678

Kayak launch system

11 posts in this topic

I have a Hobie mirage. I am on a canal launching from a dock where, at times, the water is 3’ or more below the dock. I am looking for recommendations for a launch system that would make launching simple.

Ramp system (a plank as wide as the kayak) with the one end attached to the dock with a hinge. The other side resting in the water with a float beneath it. So, as the water rises and falls, so does the plank.

I built a ramp on wheels since anything attached to my dock would flex the dock and put it at risk. My solution gets me from the dock or riprap, to the water and can also be used to go from my truck to the boat ramp.  I can’t post pix, for some reason. Basically, 2 8’ pvc mounted on perpendicular 2x4s

15 hours ago, EricJ said:

Ramp system (a plank as wide as the kayak) with the one end attached to the dock with a hinge. The other side resting in the water with a float beneath it. So, as the water rises and falls, so does the plank.

Assuming you own the dock, this or the more standard ramp to floating dock is the best plan. It's not even that easy getting out of a kayak onto a floating dock!  I've seen floating kayak launches that are sloped into the water so you can pull up like on a beach.  You can build a floating dock but getting wooden piles driven to hold it is expensive.

Kross, been there done that! If you don't get the angle right entering the water you can really screw up your back. In an actual waterfall the water is soft with aeration. We used to do it off the 3 meter board at the pool.

Edited by gellfex

You could get one of these ski docks. Once the owner placed his machine here the dock drop launch became necessary. I would pop the yak in the water  90° to the dock, pull it adjacent, grab a cleat, get in and grab the loose stuff I placed on the dock. Getting out is similar but easier. 

Screenshot_2017-06-10-17-29-27-1.png

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

Kross, been there done that! If you don't get the angle right entering the water you can really screw up your back. In an actual waterfall the water is soft with aeration. We used to do it off the 3 meter board at the pool.

Yup. It's called a "seal launch". 

9 hours ago, gellfex said:

Assuming you own the dock, this or the more standard ramp to floating dock is the best plan. It's not even that easy getting out of a kayak onto a floating dock!  I've seen floating kayak launches that are sloped into the water so you can pull up like on a beach.  You can build a floating dock but getting wooden piles driven to hold it is expensive.

good point

Edit-OOOPS, this belongs in the'  consequences of self centerness thread"   I see littering/ dumping as pure laziness, ignorance, and disregard for where we live. I fish from the Bronx, NYC, to the mansions on LIS in Rye, NY. Not being stereotypical, but it's rarely the working American middle class or the wealthy leaving their sh!+  behind.

Edited by cheech
Wrong thread