flysully

Bonita Springs?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Seems like previously a lot of fishermen were interested in the Bonita springs area.

Let's keep this thread going for all of those who'll be fishing in the snowbird months, Jan/March.

Hello Fly Sully and others,

I am presently in North Naples and will be here through february except for the week of 1/22

I have a hobie fishing Sup and have been out on the delnor wiggins inlet, turkey bay and canals and to the inlet with very modest results-- dozen jacks two large sheepshead, grunts and a ladyfish, mess of those lovely seacoast you have down here.

i am eager and available to join others fishing the skinny waters-- not an off-shore guy.

I am here now. Fished Golden Gate Park canals (kayak), nothing doing. Windy, rainy. Threw beetle spins (for mayan cichlids), soft plastics, topwater. Didn't go with any hard baits which maybe way to go. Spoke to homeowner along canal, says he hasn't seen any peacocks off his dock for 2-3 weeks. Trying Imperial River today. Ate at Iguana Mias, love mexican food, this place has that kind of loud tacky vibe which usually I avoid but man the carnitas were excellent, waitress was on the ball.

Hi. Driving down tomorrow from ny and will arrive in Bonita Monday night. I am mostly a fly guy and like to fish the creeks, Estero Bay and lovers Key area. I generally fish from a kayak. I also like to throw out a half mullet from the beach in the passes but not a lot of experience with the big bait fishing.

How Is the water temperature and water clarity?

looking forward to fishing for tarpon, snook, jacks and whatever. 

I am am sure that we can learn a lot about fishing the area and we should try to get together.  

Bill

5 hours ago, bill dietz said:

Hi. Driving down tomorrow from ny and will arrive in Bonita Monday night. I am mostly a fly guy and like to fish the creeks, Estero Bay and lovers Key area. I generally fish from a kayak. I also like to throw out a half mullet from the beach in the passes but not a lot of experience with the big bait fishing.

How Is the water temperature and water clarity?

looking forward to fishing for tarpon, snook, jacks and whatever. 

I am am sure that we can learn a lot about fishing the area and we should try to get together.  

Bill

On 1/12/2018 at 7:18 PM, Bciliberto said:

Hello Fly Sully and others,

I am presently in North Naples and will be here through february except for the week of 1/22

I have a hobie fishing Sup and have been out on the delnor wiggins inlet, turkey bay and canals and to the inlet with very modest results-- dozen jacks two large sheepshead, grunts and a ladyfish, mess of those lovely seacoast you have down here.

i am eager and available to join others fishing the skinny waters-- not an off-shore guy.

Fished Imperial River today. Zeroed. Saw what looked like feeding activity but could get nothing to hit. Water temp around 65. Going to fish Little Hickory or maybe north from there tomorrow. Breeze turned slightly chilly around 3pm today, definitely was making it presence known all day but not unmanageable. Would love some company. I will keep checking in here, see if we can gang up on 'em. 

I too am down in North Naples and have tried fishing around Marco and Lover's Key. Nothing to show for it. I am trying to fish without a boat or kayak. The wind has been brutal quite a bit since I got down here around Christmas. I would like to meet up with fellow SOLers. I usually fly fish ,but will use a spinning rod when the wind is too much. Everyone here says you need live bait, which I haven't tried yet. I am playing senior softball on Monday and Wednesday, so any other day of the week is fine for me to meet up.

Ben

Guys I live in Bonita Springs. Water temp is 69 around lovers key. Wind has been tough so I’m staying inside and out of it all. Fishing live shrimp, going through an easy 50 each time out. Sheepshead are around as well as black drum. I fish out of a kayak 100% of the time this time of the year. Wind keeps you from throwing flies on the beach as does the snowbird population if you get a late start on less wind days. 

Ive been writing reports and posting on the kayak forum side of the The site. I was out Saturday and did quite well, redfish, drum, snook and sheepshead. Last 6 Times out I’m fishing the same area. I’m not leaving feeding fish and so far they have been corroborating.

I work during the normal work week but do get out basically every weekend once. If you want to get out let me know I’ll show where I’m fishing and it’s from a kayak. Lovers key has kayaks for rent. You’ll need a way to keep shrimp live. I can give you an anchor to use if you don’t have one. This will keep,you from being pulled into the mangroves by a larger fish. 

On saturday there had to be 6 guys fishing where I was. Staying out of the wind. 

Let me know, pm me and we can talk from there. At this point I’ll be out on Saturday again. I don’t get an early start I more look at the tides and fish during a moving tide. No reason to get up very early. 

Wish I had your advice over last few days. As of today the weather is definitely getting unpleasant. I have fished Golden Gait park, Imperial river around the park near the interstate as well as were it empties into bay, little hickory bay. The water is tannin colored, visibility around 2-3 feet. I have caught 2 snook, a couple baby jacks, lost a good sheeps head and about 10 catfish which were almost a welcome distraction after covering miles of water. Still each day I got after it with new hope of finding some fish. Resorted to using frozen shrimp.  Is this the typical water color and clarity?Great place for kayaking, would like to get back her April to June time frame. I am thinking this weather is gonna keep me aground for rest of week until I head back.

On 1/13/2018 at 6:54 AM, sunobskt said:

Spoke to homeowner along canal, says he hasn't seen any peacocks off his dock for 2-3 weeks. 

I don’t pursue peacocks with any regularity but have heard similar here on east coast. Ps don’t appear to have hung around their normal haunts after the cold weather in late December and early Jan. No one has reported dead/floating fish as was the case during the last big freeze years back. Thus, in canals they may have found warmer water for next few weeks. 

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

I don’t pursue peacocks with any regularity but have heard similar here on east coast. Ps don’t appear to have hung around their normal haunts after the cold weather in late December and early Jan. No one has reported dead/floating fish as was the case during the last big freeze years back. Thus, in canals they may have found warmer water for next few weeks. 

Saw 4 dead floater pcocks at golden gate. Went to lake trafford bunches of dead cichlids and small catfish. Gators appeared unaffected. Bass not to b found. 

7 mins ago, sunobskt said:

Saw 4 dead floater pcocks at golden gate. Went to lake trafford bunches of dead cichlids and small catfish. Gators appeared unaffected. Bass not to b found. 

Yeah, that’s a worry. Tropical peacocks, cichlids and cats will have issues if they can’t find warmer water. LM bass, even the FL variety, are hardier. I don’t know for sure but I think gators can survive, just as snakes do. Bury themselves in mud and just go into a deep sleep.

The problem with tropical fish is if they "sleep" they die due to water not flowing over this gills, or so I think. 

I wonder how the clown knife fish in Lake Ida make out in the cold? 

My son has been telling me about all the dead Peacocks, Talapia, and Cichlids he's seeing around Naples. Sent me this pic of a dead P.

Otters are having a field day !

5a5f68c350167_deadps.jpg.8d5348eb26bcdf996f631b002cf2148c.jpg

Edited by Stuu
spelingh