Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darth Baiter

Rain Barrel

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

So my plastic rain barrel survived Sandy but not this latest freeze here in NJ.  :(  Can't remember taking any preventative winter measures in the past but the thing split along the bottom seam this time.  Have to get a new one, any suggestions to prevent freezing or freeze damage?   

I turn mine upside down and don't use them during winter.

note... After rinsing with a hose. I put my "stinky" waders in a rain barrel for a couple days. The near mineral free acidic rainwater draws a lot of salt and funk out and "sweetens" them.

Edited by Catskill John

20 or so yrs ago my wife bought a sealed used oak whisky barrel from Walmart of all places. I drilled a hole(lots of pressure release) for a spigot and another for the down spout, lucky it didn't explode in my face as the smell knocked me over. I don't drain it or winterize and its sill in use tho I did have to make a new bottom for, it was fun getting the staves and hoops back in place. 

I guess it depends where you live. We had -10 last week with a +5 average the first week of Jan., that would freeze a full barrel solid and split just about anything.

For a replacement Go to your local car wash and get a white or blue plastic 55 gallon barrell from them. They should give it to you for free or give the guy a few bucks and you will be set. 

Wash it good and adapt to your needs. 

I threaded a shut off ballvalve on the bottom which my watering hose connects to. In the winter I just leave it open and it self drains. The minimal ice does it no harm.

1 hour ago, NJ Dave said:

For a replacement Go to your local car wash and get a white or blue plastic 55 gallon barrell from them.

Thanks for idea but the SO would never let me get away with that.  Maybe I could paint it!!!  Thanks all, I ordered a new one and will drain it over the winter.  The last one served me well for watering indoor and outdoor plants for many years.  Could not take the temps we had late December, early Jan.  Today is a balmy 20 and still climbing. 

You want some cheese with that whine? :p;)

Hope you are well, Craig. :)

Gotta drain them in the winter. The one I had was a plastic 55 gallon drum from Rhone Rhone Poulenc/Nyacol that used to contain cerium oxide colloid. We had way too many around the plant and actually had to pay to get rid of them. Cerium Oxide is nothing hazardous, so it wasn't that, it was just at the time the recycling companies weren't big on them.

I cut off the top and fitted the bottom with a spigot, and was good to go.

But it always got drained in the winter.

Edited by Steve in Mass

I made mine before Sandy, but they were totaled in storm. My wife's garden club decided to make them for the members 2 years ago, got the barrels from NJ DEP for free ( they were donated to them by a chemical co.), I bought all the supplies at HD and on a Saturday morning my buddy and I made them for the ladies, total cost, less than $15 per barrel. 

45 mins ago, fluke07 said:

I made mine before Sandy, but they were totaled in storm. My wife's garden club decided to make them for the members 2 years ago, got the barrels from NJ DEP for free ( they were donated to them by a chemical co.), I bought all the supplies at HD and on a Saturday morning my buddy and I made them for the ladies, total cost, less than $15 per barrel. 

I had the opposite experience with Sandy - the rain barrel survived, the house didn't.  Now I have a new house and a new barrel, life doesn't get any better.  4th grand child due in March, looking forward to that.  :)

Curious how much you spent on a new rain barrel.  I have a bunch of plastic food grade 55 gallon drums with screw caps  im thinking of selling.  All good shape.  Not sure if there is a market for them as is or if i could get away with installing a spigot on them and selling them as rain barrels.  I usually cut out the tops on them and use them for storage in my shed or garage.  One i put my waders in to dry and hang my lures on.  They are great and i can get them easily.   

$80 got me a 65 gal. Rain Wizard Urn in light granite from Hayneedle via Walmart.  That's tax and delivery.  Price has already jumped to $96 since I ordered, maybe there's a shortage.  Any criticism of what I paid, already happened via PM :), and I shut this thread down.  Carry on. 

Urn.jpeg