SIC34

Libya is a ****show

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Apparently Obama said it two years ago in an interview with a reporter from The Atlantic. I find it hard to believe because I don't recall it being front and center for 2 days on the news, and i'm  positive the two presidents wouldn't be held to two different standards,  right? 

Edited by SIC34

SIC34, got a quote for Obama's comment? Something we like look up on Google?  

Gotcow.  Libya was a police state. the army fissioned down the middle. A civil war broke out. Multiple European countries put boots on the ground (special forces mostly) and plenty of strike fighters in the air. Obama was late to the party, the USAF providing tanker support and intelligence to the Europeans.  Your notion of history is wrong again. 

SIC34, while you're hunting for that quote, you might as well look for the equivalent of the $130K that DJT's lawyer paid out to a Certain Someone to keep her mouth shut about a certain event that took place a year after DJT married Melania.  

Anyone want to pretend they don't know what I'm talking about?

Just now, BrianBM said:

Gotcow.  Libya was a police state. the army fissioned down the middle. A civil war broke out. Multiple European countries put boots on the ground (special forces mostly) and plenty of strike fighters in the air. Obama was late to the party, the USAF providing tanker support and intelligence to the Europeans.  Your notion of history is wrong again. 

Europeans were not getting their oil and Obama decided to stick his nose in over that effort to get the oil turned back on.

Was that downed F-15E flying tanker detail?

No oil shortage. SA was pumping happily enough, and the world's economic demand wasn't high; there was slack in the system. American involvement was limited and didn't involve shooting.  

No, Obama did not eff up Libya. Khaddafi had done that, well enough to create a Libyan civil war all on its' own. 

Good to see you're not pretending ignorance of that $130K, to which I made reference.  Wouldn't it be awful if Obama had done that? But since it's DJT, we'll pretend not to notice.  MAGA!

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

SIC34, while you're hunting for that quote, you might as well look for the equivalent of the $130K that DJT's lawyer paid out to a Certain Someone to keep her mouth shut about a certain event that took place a year after DJT married Melania.  

Obama and HRC own the situation in Libya, here's some reading on it. I'm always amused when Dems completely leave out the fact that Gadhafi had assembled enough gold and was in process of establishing an African currency to eliminate the USD and Euro, I'm sure that had nothing to do with it...

We came, we saw, he died,' she joked. But overthrowing Gadhafi was a humanitarian and strategic debacle that now limits our options on North Korea.

AP HOUSE BENGHAZI INVESTIGATION A FILE USA DC

(Photo: Carolyn Kaster, AP)

Black Africans are being sold in open-air slave markets,  and it’s Hillary Clinton’s fault. But you won’t hear much about that from the news media or the foreign-policy pundits, so let me explain.

Footage from Libya, released recently by CNN, showed young men from sub-Saharan Africa being auctioned off as farm workers in slave markets.

And how did we get to this point? As the BBC reported back in May, “Libya has been beset by chaos since NATO-backed forces overthrew long-serving ruler Col. Moammar Gadhafi in October 2011.”

And who was behind that overthrow? None other than then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Under President George W. Bush in 2003, the United States negotiated an agreement with Libyan strongman Gadhafi. The deal: He would give up his weapons of mass destruction peacefully, and we wouldn’t try to depose him.

That seemed a good deal at the time, but the Obama administration didn’t stick to it. Instead, in an operation spearheaded by Clinton, the United States went ahead and toppled him anyway.

The overthrow turned out to be a debacle. Libya exploded into chaos and civil war, and refugees flooded Europe, destabilizing governments there. But at the time, Clinton thought it was a great triumph — "We came, we saw, he died,” she joked about Gadhafi’s overthrow — and adviser Sidney Blumenthal encouraged her to tout her "successful strategy" as evidence of her fitness for the highest office in the land.

It’s surprising the extent to which Clinton has gotten a pass for this debacle, which represents a humanitarian and strategic failure of the first order. (And, of course, the damage is still compounding: How likely is North Korea’s Kim Jong Un to give up his nuclear weapons after seeing the worthlessness of U.S. promises to Gadhafi?) 

Back during his brief stint in the Democratic primary, former senator James Webb raised the issue, saying America "blew the lid off of a series of tribal engagements. You can't get to the Tripoli airport right now, much less Benghazi." But as the Libya disaster continues to unfold, Clinton’s role in it gets surprisingly little attention.

POLICING THE USA: A look at race, justice, media

Maybe it’s buried under the other Clinton/Obama debacles in the Middle East, such as the botched Syrian policy that The Washington Post’s Fred Hiatt called ”ahumanitarian and cultural disaster of epochal proportions.” Remember President Obama’s “red line” that Syria crossed, and that Obama didn’t enforce?

That led to a destabilizing flood of refugees hitting Europe, too.

And, of course, there’s the Yemen policy, which Obama bragged about as a model for the war on terror. But now Yemen is another war-wracked humanitarian and strategic disaster.

Still, Libya is in a class of its own. In Syria and Yemen, at least, the situation was already bad. Libya, before Clinton got involved, was comparatively stable and no strategic threat to the United States or its allies. Now it’s a shambles, with people literally being sold in slave markets.

Back in the 2012 presidential campaign, Vice President Biden told a group of African Americans that the GOP was going to "put you all back in chains." But it turned out that it was Clinton’s policies that led to black people being sold. As some ponder another Hillary Clinton run in 2020, that’s worth pointing out.

Edited by TimS
twitter links removed

1 hour ago, Moonpool said:

would some of your high intellect pay to f**k Micheal Obama!

Who's Micheal?

Edited by Buckscorider

"Stormy Monday," are you by any chance related to .... oh, never mind.

The quoted article is a fraud, studded with factual errors.

The notion that Khaddafi's gold was a threat to the primacy of either the US dollar, or the value of the franc, is grotesque. It's been a long, long time since the size of a gold reserve had much to do with the importance of a currency. If it did, Indian rupees would be the world's reserve currency of choice.

France uses the euro as a currency.  The remaining franc in circulation is Swiss. If Khaddafi's gold stash is supposed to be a risk to the franc, why didn't the Swiss get involved?

The rest of the post makes equally little sense, despite the quotes from liberal papers. The Libyan Army split down the middle early on in the civil war. The civil war preceded the involvement of the Europeans. The operations of France and the UK preceded our involvement.  Is Lybia a mess?  Absolutely, but it's a result of civil war and the ongoing lack of a successor government. We couldn't have prevented the first, and nobody's been able to establish the second.

4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Anyone want to pretend they don't know what I'm talking about?...............

I have no idea.  Really.  But at the same time, have no problem believing anything in that arena.

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The Obama/****show comment was in an article from the Atlantic Magazine (I believe from 2 years ago)