flyangler

“Darkest Hour” Movie

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Saw “Darkest Hour” last weekend and thought it was a great movie. I had not found the time to see “Dunkirk” when it was in the theaters but now kinda glad. Seeing “Darkest Hour” first will put Dunkirk in to a better context. 

I have not read much about Churchill so can’t speak to the veracity of Gary Oldman’s portrayal. I have to assume it was well researched and that Oldman studied him closely. Candidly, even knowing that they used prosthetics to get the look, he was nearly unrecognizable as the actor we know. 

Great cast, great pacing and a bit of education. 

Also, with my son going to school in the UK and having come to appreciate the Brits loses during WW1, the reticence of Chamberlain and his supporters is understandable. Churchill was correct, then and in hindsight, but the exhaustion of the British people and the aversion of some to FURTHER war AND AXTUALLY PREFERRING UNILATERAL SURRENDER OF THE BRITISH ISLES TO THE NAZIS, is put into some context. 

Highly recommended. 

Anyone else see it?

Edited by tomkaz

"Dunkirk" is a distinctive war movie.  No sex interest, no love interest, and not a German in sight, save for a few airplanes (most of them half-size models).  It is, I expect, more realistic then most.

25 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

I’m gonna’ go out on a limb here and assume Frank doesn’t have a high opinion of ole’ Winston.... more of Chamberlain fan I’d guess

OH SNAP

Dunkirk....no, watchable but not one you want to see on the big screen IMO.

Oldeman in Darkest Hour is quality per his performance. Churchill was a giant even with his flaws....where are all the "big men" now ? But I digress. I like the big screen in a theater for good movies. The trick is trying to not waste your money for a movie that is sub par.

Hostiles and the post / ellsburg thing our my next two. Can't wait to go, one of life's little pleasures.:howdy:

30 mins ago, BrianBM said:

"Dunkirk" is a distinctive war movie.  No sex interest, no love interest, and not a German in sight, save for a few airplanes (most of them half-size models).  It is, I expect, more realistic then most.

It would have been worth an extra hour or so ( I think it was like 1:40 something as released ) to delve into the weeds a bit about the scale of the mobilization and how it was organized... and some of the political wrangling with the French etc... 

Edited by RiverRaider

3 hours ago, Terry Mac said:

Exactly!!!!!

Just for clarification, the "aversion to war" comment was in the context of the Hobson's choice the Brits faced, either surrender to Hitler unilaterally, or subject the British Isles to invasion from sea and air. Chamberlain and Wood ("Halifax") championed the notion that they would negotiate their version of "peace with honor" with Hitler with the notion that that would save the 300,000+ Brits stuck at Dunkirk. Churchill did not believe that Hitler could be appeased and that it would be end of the Empire, never mind their sovereign independence. A comments is made by one of them (Halifax?) about "losing another generation to war" which pretty much sums it up. 

But hey, if Frank took a shot at me for that, so be it, shows his lack of historical context.