Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beret

Mycologist Opinion Needed

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

We all understand there are good mushrooms and some very bad mushrooms..................my question is burning logs in your fire place or wood burning stoves with fungi growth on them. If it is a mushroom of the unedible type( and there are few of us who can tell)........can you still burn it ???  Many times logs in the wood pile will develope some form of growth. Obviously the smoke goes up the chiminey.........but any residual effects or concerns about do this......................thanks.

My parents and uncle used to pick mushrooms.  I'd go with them, I'm still here so they knew what they were doing.  One of their favorites was the "Rooster Comb" mushroom which grow on the sides of trees.  Edible when they're young, very good eating.  That said most of the shelf like mushrooms that grow on trees are inedible, some can be toxic, make you sick, if you try to eat them but usually they're hard and leathery.  If that's what you're seeing I wouldn't worry about burning the logs they're on.  The heat of the fire would destroy any toxins they might have. 

I wouldnt start the fire with schroomy wood, but if its a non catalyst stove you can burn almost Anything in it once its hot. I make firestarters with peanut shells, onion and garlic skins, and we bake potatoes and sear steaks in there, my neighbors must wonder?

Limited intelligent responses but from what I hear from those that did , as long as the fire is hot when the logs is put in........should not be an issue. This is kinda what I thought. Any toxins would be destroyed or just go up the chiminey...........thanks.