fishbum

2015-2017 Suburban on the Beach??

29 posts in this topic

I need to replace my 2004 Tahoe which has been my beach vehicle for the last 10 years.  I loved it but it fell apart so it's time to move on.  I'm looking at 2015-2017 Suburbans.  Does anyone use a newer suburban on the beach?  How is the clearance in the front?  How easy or difficult was it to install a front hitch or mounts for a rod/cooler rack?

Thanks, Jeremy

4 hours ago, capesams said:

The Z model is made for off road...not a reg suburban.

I've heard that but I can't figure out what is actually different on the Z package other than some interior trim and some chrome accents on the exterior?  I'm looking at 4wd 'burb with the Max Trailering Package (3.42 rear end instead of 3.08).  

17 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Skid plates, and probably transmission changes, and (I assume) a 4x4 drive system? 

Fishbum, how many miles did you get out of your 2004 Tahoe?  

Total miles were 180,000.  I bought it used in 2007 with 40,000.  The Tahoe was always a third vehicle and not a daily driver.  I used it up in the 10 years I owned it.  We did a lot of trailering the boat to hatteras a few times each year, chincoteague, va beach etc.  I was probably trailering 3,000 - 5,000 miles per year.  We drove it on the beach in Hatteras for 6 to 8 weeks annually over that period as well.  That truck didn't owe me anything.  CarMax gave me $500 for it this week.  I had a tow truck dump it in their parking lot.

What went wrong with it? As for the newer ones, only changes Z71 offers is skid plates and stickers. More of a trim package than anything. Would be worth looking into a leveling kit, as well as the 18in wheels due to meat on the tires.

Not sure about the newer models , but the previous z71s had a different front spoiler allowing for a steeper approach angle. I have a 2007 surburban 1500 and removed the front spoilers lower fairing for more ground clearance .

I've had both the reg. and the z.  I'd never go back to the reg.

better cooling

heavier supension

more towing capacity

trailer towing mode

carries twice the load inside without bottoming out.

the 1500 is a passenger car...the z is a truck but still has all the goodies inside.

surburban is the longest..tahoe an denali are shorter.

4 hours ago, capesams said:

I've had both the reg. and the z.  I'd never go back to the reg.

better cooling

heavier supension

more towing capacity

trailer towing mode

carries twice the load inside without bottoming out.

the 1500 is a passenger car...the z is a truck but still has all the goodies inside.

surburban is the longest..tahoe an denali are shorter.

Do you have more info on the front spoilers ? 

not sure what your calling a spoiler....only thing on the front is the bumper..two tow hooks...I've seen them with snow plows so I'm guessing it'll hold a rod rack and a cooler provided its done   right and not jury rigged.

25 mins ago, capesams said:

not sure what your calling a spoiler....only thing on the front is the bumper..two tow hooks...I've seen them with snow plows so I'm guessing it'll hold a rod rack and a cooler provided its done   right and not jury rigged.

Not sure what model year you have but if you look at these pics you will see the z71 bumper assembly has higher ground clearance than the other models 

1A664E67-8E36-49D9-9AF6-02FB8F1B161E-1724-00000165BF542353.jpeg

C685D333-0F18-44DB-AD81-732B621A7F0C-1724-00000166812F72D4.jpeg

8AA94608-04A3-47B6-9892-F254D134F11D-1724-00000166E04EE912.jpeg

31 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Air dams that reduce ground clearance are widely used on many vehicles, for aerodynamic reasons.  They improve mileage.  

Agreed , the point is just that , if your running the beach in the track your spoiler could be plowing the sand in the center of the track . The pickups seem to have greater clearance . If the air dam / spoiler is not removable it would be a problem .