topwaterflounder

setups for boat

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I bought a 12 ft aluminum skiff with an 8 hp last spring intended for to do some fishing in the Cape cod bay.I didn't get out there as much as I'd like to last year which kept me from buying a few boat setups.This year I plan to fish from the boat 1-2 times a week from June to August, but that will probably end up more like once a week.

I don't have any boat setups that would hold up to a season of boat fishing, so I'm wondering what you guys have for recommendations for complete boat setups for me.

I'll be dishwashing this spring/summer for a little bit of cash but if possible,try to keep it under 200 if possible. Keep in mind I will only take the skiff out in calm conditions but even on a calm day the gear will get splashed.

Thanks

Don't know how heavy of a set up one would use in Cape Cod Bay, but here in Sandy Hook bay for fluke, blues, etc., I used a 7ft. medium Penn Allegience II rod, with Penn SSV4500.  It's a fantastic set up.  The rod is $70, and if you look around, you can prob get the reel for about $109.  

If you want a tad heavier, you can bump both up one level.

Allegience II Med-Heavy = $80

SSV5500 = $119

I'm using a Daiwa BG4000 (about $90) with 300 yards of 30 lb. PowerPro braid ($20) on a one piece 7' Ugly Stik InterCoastal rod (Walmart) MED HVY ($40) for similar duty in the Pamlico Sound and Neuse River.  OH

Penn sells their Battle 2 combos  4000/5000) for $120 I think. No personal experience with them but I’ve heard good things from a charter pal who uses them on his boat.