Belmo

Any Interest in Grafted Tomato Plants

Rate this topic

317 posts in this topic

After getting burned last year -- my supplier didn't sell them -- I'm going to graft my own tamata plants this year. Grafted plants just work better, and if I can't buy what I want, I'll have to do 'em myself. 

The logistics of this are such that it doesn't make sense to do a handful: it's really not any more money, or work, to do 50, or even 100, than it is to do 4 or 5. So I figger I'll do extras and give them away. 

Does anyone here want some? I'm going to be putting together an order for seeds (rootstock, mostly) this weekend, and seeing if anyone wants them, or if this sinks like a stone (like most of my ideas! :D) will help me figure out what to get. 

You can graft any kind of tamata to the rootstock: I am planning on doing primarily beefsteak heirlooms (the Brandywines, Cherokee Purple, Green Zebra, and my all-time fave, Black Krim), but can work in other varieties if there's interest. The deal is that you start both rootstock and the top part (they call them scions) from seed, and when the seeds have sprouted, and reached a certain size, you slice 'em, and graft the two pieces together. 

Lemme know if any of you humps want in. 

14 mins ago, Billybob said:

What's the point, do you get 2 different tomatoes on one plant or a tomato that's interacial?

The best-tasting tamatas are our heirlooms: you'll never eat a better love apple than one a them. They our tremendous. 

But the heirlooms are a PITA to grow: they are very disease prone, they don't tolerate drought well, and they are particularly susceptible to stuff that comes up from the soil, especially the wilts (verticillium and fusarium, if you're scoring at home). All heirlooms are open-pollinated, meaning nature (i.e. bees and other pollinating insects) pollinate the flowers. 

Hybrid tomatoes, which have been selectively cross-pollinated by breeders, are much, much hardier than heirlooms. If you go to a big box store and buy one of them seedlings in April or May, it's virtually certain to be a hybrid. 

Hybrids are also better-producers than heirlooms: you get way more individual fruits from hybrids. But there's a catch: hybrids don't taste as good as heirlooms. Not even close. 

Enter grafting: by taking a hybrid root, and an heirloom top, you get the best of both worlds: you get real, delicious heirlooms, and you also get the disease resistance and general hardiness of hybrids. It's a win all the way around. 

I tried grafted plants a few years ago, and I'll never go back. The difference is pretty big. 

15 mins ago, Tom T said:

Has he forgotten about the bees already?

Nope. I'm actually taking an online beekeeping course from Penn State Extension right now. Look out! 

Send some my way Belmo and let me contribute to the cause.  :th:

Wouldn't need many, maybe 3-5 tops....dont't have a lot of land to work with.

1 min ago, Belmo said:

Nope. I'm actually taking an online beekeeping course from Penn State Extension right now. Look out! 

I hope you own a large chunk of land that adheres to the newly drafted guidelines for beekeeping. They're really ****ing the hobby sector. I'll try to find the article I read a couple weeks ago but it didn't sound very good.

Hey Belmo, have you ever had fried tomato's ? This was quite the dish in my family growing up. Bacon grease in the pan, add flour, salt and pepper and pour over white bread. 

6 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

I hope you own a large chunk of land that adheres to the newly drafted guidelines for beekeeping. They're really ****ing the hobby sector. I'll try to find the article I read a couple weeks ago but it didn't sound very good.

I saw that, and thought it was a Jersey thing. Pennsylvania tends to be pretty ag-friendly, governmentally, mostly because of all the Big Ag in the middle of the state.

5 mins ago, Firinne said:

Hey Belmo, have you ever had fried tomato's ? This was quite the dish in my family growing up. Bacon grease in the pan, add flour, salt and pepper and pour over white bread. 

Had 'em, but they're not my thing. 

A fresh, out-of-the-garden heirloom, however, is ambrosia, food worthy of the gods on Olympus.