Dan Tinman

Ball, Bullet and Shad jig heads for soft plastic.

186 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

This answer is repeated in another thread.

I called Alberto Knie.  His reputation is well known.  He's also the originator and owner of Tactical Anglers, the company that makes the clips in question.  We talked at length about this question.  I'm waiting for him to get back to me about the wire diameter.  

He pointed out a couple things to consider.  First and most importantly if the wire is too close to the size of the eye the action and freedom of movement of the bucktail will be impaired.  His feeling is that the wire size of the clip should be about the same size as the hook wire to achieve maximum action.

In addition he mentioned that some guys are using clips that are too large.  With the new super braid lines being so much stronger the general trend is to tighten down on the reel drag and that in turn puts more of the load on the terminal tackle like the hooks and line attaching hardware.  

One last thing he cautioned about is the proliferation of bogus copies of the TA clips.  The real TA's are made with a proprietary stainless steel allow that gives it the strength that is needed in a quality product.  Knock off copies are made with inferior metals and don't have the same strength.

When he gets back to me or someone can tell us the wire diameter of a 75lb TA clips I'll complete gorkmonster's request.

Thanks Dan!  Unfortunately I don't have any calipers otherwise I'd be all over it.  I look forward to your reply. 

47 mins ago, gorkmonster said:

Thanks Dan!  Unfortunately I don't have any calipers otherwise I'd be all over it.  I look forward to your reply. 

Not a problem.  Alberto got back to me quicker than I expected.  Here's the deal.  The wire diameter on a 50lb TA clip is .039".  A 75lb clip is .050".  For most (I stress most) saltwater surf bucktails like bullet heads and Smilin' Bills I use a 5/0 Mustad #34185 hook in the 1/2 oz sizes. The eye opening on that hook is about .087".  The difference between the wire diameter and hook opening isn't much.  There are other factors to consider.  First, the bend of the clip will add to the resistance to move freely.  In addition those hooks are painted with heat cured powder and that will tend to close the opening.  Properly cured powder is tough stuff (that's why I use it) so the idea of just cleaning it out of the hook eye is not practical.  

Now getting back to the hooks I "usually " use.  The manufacturer, Mustad, is phasing out their like of short shank hooks which is what I use the most of.  The hardest to get now is that 5/0 size so I sometimes have to use a substitute which has a smaller eye.  

Having absorbed all this the best I can tell you is that the smallest of the common bucktails I make that will work on a 75lb TA clip is usually the 1/2 oz.  However, this question has brought several responses in this and another thread that the 50lb clip is sufficient.  All this information leads me to agree with that wisdom.  Just be sure to do 2 things.  Make sure you're using the real McCoy, authentic TA clips and don't lockdown your drag.  It's there for a reason.

Hope this has helped.

This will be repeated in the other thread.

On 3/26/2020 at 5:07 PM, Dan Tinman said:

Not a problem.  Alberto got back to me quicker than I expected.  Here's the deal...

Hi Dan, Thanks for checking on that.  That was very kind and helpful.

Can I place and order for:

Lead Bullet Heads, Long Shank, White

3 @ ~1-oz

3 @ ~1.5-oz

3 @ ~2-oz

Tin Bullet Heads, Long Shank, Unpainted

3 @ ~ .75-oz

3 @ ~ 1-oz

Lead Banana Heads, Long Shank, White

3 @ ~.75-oz

3 @ ~1-oz

3 @ ~1.5-oz

Lead Teardrop Heads, White

3 @ ~4-oz

33 mins ago, gorkmonster said:

Hi Dan, Thanks for checking on that.  That was very kind and helpful.

Can I place and order for:

Lead Bullet Heads, Long Shank, White

3 @ ~1-oz

3 @ ~1.5-oz

3 @ ~2-oz

Tin Bullet Heads, Long Shank, Unpainted

3 @ ~ .75-oz

3 @ ~ 1-oz

Lead Banana Heads, Long Shank, White

3 @ ~.75-oz

3 @ ~1-oz

3 @ ~1.5-oz