Marty

When to service your reels.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

The last few days guys were saying to wash, clean and oil my reals because I don’t do that all through fishing season. I just received all my reels back from the reel company and my buddy who service two of my hard fished spinning reels. When he opened them he said they looked new inside. These two reels are 10 years old and never  served. The only thing needed was to clean and oil line roller. Unless the reel get busted, that’s when service will be done. The reels that were serviced by the two companies came back with same and different problems. They cost me money and now more money to send in again. In the long run, It’s cheaper not to service them because the more you wash them, more chance of water getting inside them.  These are boat reels not surf reels like VS & ZB. 

I agree. I've never sent a reel out to be serviced and I've never had a problem. I also don't abuse my gear. I'll rinse my gear off when I get home if a reel happens to get dunked or hits the sand. Otherwise I don't really bother. Over the winter I'll take apart my more heavily used reels and check them out, but at most they usually just get a little grease and that's it.

1 hour ago, Matteo78 said:

I use a light mist after every use. And clean/grease the interior every offseason. Feel like they are brand new every year!

That’s the answer- light mist. Never hose down hard. Not to put oil on them of and kind. That’s worst. Here is a reel that was cleaned & oiled when season ended. I sprayed with oil. Why I did????? It’s a dust magnet. 

392D6999-E02C-4C00-89A4-615E4A736E1B.jpeg

ya know, its amazing how effective a simple fresh water rinse is as in my experience, a full tear down isnt warranted unless you believe that salt water or sand entered the reel at some point.  my 650 and 750 SSMs went years and i mean years with ZERO service (i dont count a drop of oil on the line roller twice a year as service) and have been solid.

then i have dropped my V5500 in the wash twice and have taken it apart more than both my SSMs combined. #oops

as for oil on the outside... not sure bout that one

I'm not big on maintenance either. I merely shpritz some reel magic all over after most sessions and leave them be. Once and a while I put some lubrication on the roller bearing, main shaft, & bail connections... thats it. If I feel saltwater has made any inroads I might lightly hit it with fresh water but never ever with much pressure as I don't want to force the salt in. 

End of season is evaluation time. If everything is functioning properly, I disassemble myself, clean, relube, & reassemble. If it has any serious issues I can't solve or is too complicated to fiddle with, it goes back to the factory and is looked at by the qualified skilled technicians for detailed inspection and repairs. 

Right now my VS is on its way to Whitewater Outfitters because its bound up and keeps blowing out the drag clickers. My Stella SW is next only because its been 2 years since last looked at and I dare not screw around with such a complex piece of equipment. Everything else is on the bench waiting for me to fiddle with.

37 mins ago, hanlon-surf said:

ya know, its amazing how effective a simple fresh water rinse is as in my experience, a full tear down isnt warranted unless you believe that salt water or sand entered the reel at some point.  my 650 and 750 SSMs went years and i mean years with ZERO service (i dont count a drop of oil on the line roller twice a year as service) and have been solid.

then i have dropped my V5500 in the wash twice and have taken it apart more than both my SSMs combined. #oops

as for oil on the outside... not sure bout that one

How many times you did send it in just to service it. It comes back - not right.  

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I suppose this can apply. If you never serviced reels and fished them for 10 yrs with no issues. I'd say your ahead of the game! I've had el cheapos that lasted years with abuse. Tossed them when they broke. Have an older Slammer that was caked with sand reeled under salt water, got home hosed it off. I fished a few more times before breaking it dwn to clean, besides the sand, grease was not discolored. Have a Battle 2 that was splashed, froze up with sand had no choice but to clean it. I try to break dwn hard used reels in the Winter and oil them during the season. I guess do what ever makes you comfortable or what the situation calls for.

52 mins ago, Marty said:

Wow, you guys came out of the closet. The truth come out. You are all correct. The old saying goes @@@. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it !!! 

Who "came out of the closet"? :gay: I was never in the closet, I'll chalk this up to misplaced terminology.

giphy.gif

30 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Who "came out of the closet"? :gay: I was never in the closet, I'll chalk this up to misplaced terminology.

giphy.gif

I will do Her in the closet, regardless if she was splashed, washed, frozen up with sand, oiled and grease or not!

I've often wondered about the myth of cleaning and oiling and greasing. Last winter I dropped off reels 4 at a time to a Shimano service center. These were all 15-20 year old Stradic 400's all with extremely heavy use. All that needed to be done after 20 years was replace some drag washers, and grease them. Otherwise they were like new.

I service my own boat reels and after the 2015 season I upgraded the drags, and when I opened them after God knows how long, they too were like new,

My casting reels I send out to get serviced, Drag washers and cleaning. One of them is an ancient Okuma Inspiron, last season the drag washers finally gave up the ghost.. I have had Okuma Avengers on my surf rods that went swimming more than once. No issues.

All I do after a day in the salt, is when washing the boat, is line the rods against the house, spray lightly with some soap, and hose off lightly.

I challenge anybody to find corrosion on my reels.I have a Daiwa Sealine for sale here that has to be at least 25 years old, And that is the only reel that shows a tiny bit of pitting. But only on the chromed parts.

At the end of each season, I lightly oil my reel clamps, and back off the drags,

Then grab the shotgun and a hunting I will go.

56 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

I've often wondered about the myth of cleaning and oiling and greasing. Last winter I dropped off reels 4 at a time to a Shimano service center. These were all 15-20 year old Stradic 400's all with extremely heavy use. All that needed to be done after 20 years was replace some drag washers, and grease them. Otherwise they were like new.

I service my own boat reels and after the 2015 season I upgraded the drags, and when I opened them after God knows how long, they too were like new,

My casting reels I send out to get serviced, Drag washers and cleaning. One of them is an ancient Okuma Inspiron, last season the drag washers finally gave up the ghost.. I have had Okuma Avengers on my surf rods that went swimming more than once. No issues.

All I do after a day in the salt, is when washing the boat, is line the rods against the house, spray lightly with some soap, and hose off lightly.

I challenge anybody to find corrosion on my reels.I have a Daiwa Sealine for sale here that has to be at least 25 years old, And that is the only reel that shows a tiny bit of pitting. But only on the chromed parts.

At the end of each season, I lightly oil my reel clamps, and back off the drags,

Then grab the shotgun and a hunting I will go.

The two reels that were 15 years old and never served were the Stradic and sustain with the wood handle. Mayb those old reels were just made a lot better. The new one, not !!!!