JaseB

Have a Happy Lee Jackson Day Friday!

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Well, here it is, the holiest of holy's, the revered, the esteemed, the hallowed Lee Jackson Day.    If you work in a State or County office, the begging of a 4 day weekend.    Sadly, I do not.    So I'll have to be happy with a 3 Day MLK weekend. 

This weekends kind of up in the air.  One or more of my kids has been puking or squirting since Wed.   I'm just hoping to dodge that bullet.    Was supposed to have a basketball game for jr. tomorrow, we'll see.   It's freaking 60 degrees and supposed to rain all day.  Tomorrow it blows out, literally with a drop in temp to the 30's and wind gusts up to 30-40. 

If the winds lay down Sunday or Monday would love one last trip in the woods.  Deer season is gone, but you can have as much fun with the squirrels and it's hard to beat a good dinner of friend squirrel, gravy and corn bread.

If all I do is avoid the plague, I'll call it a win. 

What's on you docket?

Robert E. Lee was a traitor, a white supremacist who physically beat other humans, and a wildly overrated general, both tactically and otherwise. And Jackson was a religious wacko, a tightass whose own descendants supported taking down his statue in Richmond. History is often unkind, but one thing that that will justly last forever is the fact that both men will ultimately be remembered as losers. Losers! 

Tecumseh Sherman is much more my kind of guy. He wanted no part of a war, but when the South demanded it, he loosed upon the South all the fury and fire and destruction that war is capable of. Sherman wanted Southerners to see this, to feel it viscerally, so that they would learn to hate war as he did, and therefore would never seek it again. And Sherman's march to the sea did this: never again in this country will a war be fought over what was at heart a political dispute. 

Big ups for Uncle Billy! Unlike Lee and Jackson, Sherman deserves to be remembered in a positive light. 

William T Sherman.jpg

6 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

do you have to go out, talk more chit than you can defend, and get your ass handed to you?

or is that optional.

Interesting point.  Kind of overlapping with St. Patrick's day.

We do take both seriously.  :beers:

St Patrick's day doesn't have anything to do with starting a war with people who are superior to you.

Edited by HugeDinghy

The whitewashing of Lee and Jackson, as well as the larger cause of the Confederacy, is one of the great historical sins of are time. There was nothing whatsoever honorable about the Southern cause: it was to continue enslaving other humans. Everything else is window dressing: it was about continuing slavery, and the founding document of the CSA said so explicitly. 

8 mins ago, Belmo said:

Robert E. Lee was a traitor, a white supremacist who physically beat other humans, and a wildly overrated general, both tactically and otherwise. And Jackson was a religious wacko, a tightass whose own descendants supported taking down his statue in Richmond. History is often unkind, but one thing that that will justly last forever is the fact that both men will ultimately be remembered as losers. Losers! 

Tecumseh Sherman is much more my kind of guy. He wanted no part of a war, but when the South demanded it, he loosed upon the South all the fury and fire and destruction that war is capable of. Sherman wanted Southerners to see this, to feel it viscerally, so that they would learn to hate war as he did, and therefore would never seek it again. And Sherman's march to the sea did this: never again in this country will a war be fought over what was at heart a political dispute. 

Big ups for Uncle Billy! Unlike Lee and Jackson, Sherman deserves to be remembered in a positive light. 

William T Sherman.jpg

i agree with you this time however it doesn't change the fact that you are still an idiot. 

10 mins ago, Belmo said:

The whitewashing of Lee and Jackson, as well as the larger cause of the Confederacy, is one of the great historical sins of are time. There was nothing whatsoever honorable about the Southern cause: it was to continue enslaving other humans. Everything else is window dressing: it was about continuing slavery, and the founding document of the CSA said so explicitly. 

It’s about states rights. 

Yea, states rights to own a mother fuqr. 

2 mins ago, bospa357 said:

I honestly thought Belmo was going to relate a story of when he was in the south and he met Lee and Jackson or that someone in the family did. :laugh:

I’m not commenting at this time, I have a free rod at stake!