hanlon-surf

which big baitcaster?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

ssssoooooo its 2018 and i am seriously entertaining the idea of a baitcast set-up. ive done the spinning thing in the surf since i started some 20+ years ago and think its time to mix it up. the rod will likely be a Star Stellar or Penn Battle (nothing crazy), but the reel, im not sure. i like the looks of the new Lexa 400, especially as it has a clicker for bottom fishing and isnt super pricy. i know the Okuma Komodo had also been a front runner in the past, and i know that Shimano has their new Tranx and then theres the Toro Revo Beast.

what say you for an all around large capacity baitcaster?

We need a cage match between Scoobydoo, who favors a Tranx I think, and Sudsy, who showers and sleeps with a Lexa 300.  johndtuttle liked all of them but especially the Toro Revo Beast.  A series of elimination rounds is called for.

I like a Lexa 400 but haven't touched the others, and I'm not letting Scoobydoo near it, lest he try to cut it up, sick puppy that he is.  

I love my lexa 400's.

fishing them LDP style with 3-5 oz darters/creek chub giant pikies or my own giant pikes has been a dream all last season.

my big hands want the 400 not the 300 size and it hit home solidly.

HH

Edited by Roddy

tranx is sweet. Used to use the older ones with the white handle. Cant go wrong.

Used the lexa 400 for pike, and cod, also a great choice for 300 less....

Cant speak to the new tranx.

Use ebay, lexas are 150 lower than shops

Edited by squidwontons33

14 hours ago, hanlon-surf said:

ssssoooooo its 2018 and i am seriously entertaining the idea of a baitcast set-up. ive done the spinning thing in the surf since i started some 20+ years ago and think its time to mix it up. the rod will likely be a Star Stellar or Penn Battle (nothing crazy), but the reel, im not sure. i like the looks of the new Lexa 400, especially as it has a clicker for bottom fishing and isnt super pricy. i know the Okuma Komodo had also been a front runner in the past, and i know that Shimano has their new Tranx and then theres the Toro Revo Beast.

what say you for an all around large capacity baitcaster?

The Lexa which has the bait clicker is the Lexa CC series.

As far as variety, Lexa does take the cake out of all the large low pro bait casters available. 

There is the original Lexa, Lexa HD, Lexa LC, Lexa CC, and Lexa WN. :laugh:

I have considered just buying the Lexa CC, slapping the WN handle on it and throwing the HD gears in it. Would be a pretty awesome reel. :D

12 hours ago, BrianBM said:

We need a cage match between Scoobydoo, who favors a Tranx I think, and Sudsy, who showers and sleeps with a Lexa 300.  johndtuttle liked all of them but especially the Toro Revo Beast.  A series of elimination rounds is called for.

I like a Lexa 400 but haven't touched the others, and I'm not letting Scoobydoo near it, lest he try to cut it up, sick puppy that he is.  

What about my Komodos 471SS's! :mad::mad::mad:

img_07311_02-400x300.jpg

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Hanlon, having used 3 of the current top 4 choices for a large low pro bait caster, I can tell you that is is really nice to have the bait clicker as a feature regardless of the other strengths that the reels possess.

The large low profile bait casters excel for lure fishing, but they also make excellent options for chunking and live lining. Having the bait clicker available adds a whole new level of versatility to an already extremely versatile class of fishing reels. As this class of reels continues to increase in popularity, I expect to see more companies producing these reels with bait clickers.

If there is even a chance that you will also be using the reel for fishing with bait, get one with the clicker; these would include the Lexa CC and Komodo SS reels.   

If you will only ever use these reels for casting lures, any of them will suit your needs. Although, I would pit a Komodo SS against any of the other low pro reels as far as durability and ruggedness goes. I am also partial to the Lexa HD series too as it is pretty tough itself. The Revo Beast was the most refined out of the three I have used so far.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I wonder how the built in USA Seigler SM (Release, Truth) compares to these reels? I have an original version that has been excellent, but I don’t fish it too often, and when I do I don’t log the miles these others do.