Baitbucket

Water Proof Tackle Bag for the salt?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Ive been on the hunt for a waterproof tackle bag when fishing the salt from a boat. Id like something with plastic zippers and pockets for various fishing related things. What are you guys using and how well does it keep water out?

Image result for BPS saltwater bag

Ive got one of these and it works pretty well for the price. Not 100% waterproof but it resist splashes and spray. No metal so at least it doesn't rust.

17 mins ago, Dlegg96 said:

Ive got one of these and it works pretty well for the price. Not 100% waterproof but it resist splashes and spray. No metal so at least it doesn't rust.

Ive been looking at that one. Wish it had some pockets.. 

I 've had a Flambeau XL saltwater for a few years.  Not really waterproof except for the bottom tray and an inside lid pocket but enough.  Had the same bag but not the saltwater version for a few years until all the zippers crapped.  This one is holding up ok.  Lots of outside pockets, knife/boga/ pliers sleeves

On 1/12/2018 at 0:24 PM, Baitbucket said:

Ive been looking at that one. Wish it had some pockets.. 

Their is one zippered pocket on the underside of the top flap. otherwise i keep stuff in plastic plano boxes

Just my opinion, but pockets with zippers are in direct conflict with your desire for being waterproof... I keep a waterproof bag for clothes, phone, PLB,  etc that rolls over a couple times and then snap for waterproofing what is inside. Military design for my ditch bag. Tackle rides in plano boxes and clear pretzel stick jars with screw on tops and stays onboard for the most part.

Haven't used one yet but ozark trail came out with duffel bag like the yeti ones that are water proof .different sizes and pretty cheap. Im gonna try this route .has to be as good or better then the pvc boat bags that every chain fishing store has.

44 mins ago, 757saltwater said:

Haven't used one yet but ozark trail came out with duffel bag like the yeti ones that are water proof .different sizes and pretty cheap. Im gonna try this route .has to be as good or better then the pvc boat bags that every chain fishing store has.

I saw these at walmart. The zippers were metal =/

2 hours ago, Baitbucket said:

I saw these at walmart. The zippers were metal =/

I think grundens came out with a waterproof backpack that might fit what you are looking for. One of my friends has the simms waterproof bag that he has used in saltwater for a few years and it is still holding up well

Picked up the Flambeau Saltwater XL at Dicks. They matched Amazons price of 79.99 which was cool. The zippers and clips are all plastic which i like. The material is more of a cloth and doesn't look to be water repellent at all. Ill give it a couple coats of Camp Dry, which should do the trick. I also noticed what others have said regarding the top zipper being troublesome as the splash guard gets in the way. But im sure i can work around that.

Edited by Baitbucket

33 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

Picked up the Flambeau Saltwater XL at Dicks. They matched Amazons price of 79.99 which was cool. The zippers and clips are all plastic which i like. The material is more of a cloth and doesn't look to be water repellent at all. Ill give it a couple coats of Camp Dry, which should do the trick. I also noticed what others have said regarding the top zipper being troublesome as the splash guard gets in the way. But im sure i can work around that.

Fabric is relatively splash proof but waterproof coating can’t hurt.  The main zipper flap folds up so not such a pia in use but I fold it down to hose it off.  Zipper isn’t waterproof.   I’m looking for a waterproof box to fit inside in place of a couple of those boxes it comes with for leader spools and other things too big. 

Great price

Edited by JimW

2 hours ago, JimW said:

Fabric is relatively splash proof but waterproof coating can’t hurt.  The main zipper flap folds up so not such a pia in use but I fold it down to hose it off.  

Having to fold the flap up turns the whole top into a bowl lol