Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Smelt equipment wanted

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Planned a last min trip to Maine Saturday night with friends smelt fishing. Need a few rods and odd ends for the trip. 

Anyone have anything to borrow/sell for the day that are in Mass? Leaving Sat afternoon and will pick up.

What else do I need to bring?

Thanks

Edited by foxfai

• If your going to a Smelt hut I would just bring some Aberdeen gold hooks # 2 with some red beads and make a couple of set ups and put then in a plastic bag in case you need them  The huts have a rack with springs on them and the line s are hooked on to them with hooks. 6 to 8 springs on a side...  In a 4 man hut.  The only thing is that I like to put on my own hooks   Bring a 5 gal bucket for the fish and a towel to wipe your hands.   Knife  Food Beverage  Wear layers of clothing , because it gets hot in there with the stove going.  Some huts supply the bait?  Some guys bring there own.  good luck

You need:

Two of the cheapest ice fishing poles you can find 

spring bobbers for tips of above rods 

light line mono is fine 4-6lb 

Pan fish jigs and tip those with Seaworm the shack supplies 

small Swedish pimples to get the jigs down in current 1/8 or 1/4 ounce depends on how sensitive your rod tips are

bucket 

small knife

alcohol preferably a decent bourbon

For the rig I usually tie a hi-lo rig and a dropper loop on the bottom. Put the Swedish pimple on the bottom and cut the top loops so only one strand is out. Tie 2 small panfish jigs, one high one low tip with worm, grass shrimp, or smelt eyeball and drop it to the level the fish are. Watch your spring bobber and do your best. Have fun and bring some food to cook on the wood stove. 

Edited by giggyfish

4 hours ago, ccb said:
  • If your going to a Smelt hut I would just bring some Aberdeen gold hooks # 2 with some red beads and make a couple of set ups and put then in a plastic bag in case you need them  The huts have a rack with springs on them and the line s are hooked on to them with hooks. 6 to 8 springs on a side...  In a 4 man hut.  The only thing is that I like to put on my own hooks   Bring a 5 gal bucket for the fish and a towel to wipe your hands.   Knife  Food Beverage  Wear layers of clothing , because it gets hot in there with the stove going.  Some huts supply the bait?  Some guys bring there own.  good luck

Thanks CCB! I called them up for more information and this is the info they give me. Searching for the pictures lead me to the rack with hooks (not sure how they really works) and a sinker at the end. 

How deep are the waters? 3-5 feet? 8-10? Also the lady told me I need ice cleats because it's slippery.... now I got a shopping list to go through. :banghd:

Depending on the tide and where you are it could 3' to 8' or more?    As far as weight I would start with a 3/8 oz to 1/2  It depends how fast the tide is running.    There my be set ups in the hut already with weight on them.  Which would be a good starting point.   Watch the lines as you fish  set them at different depths until you get good results.   Also Smelt suck on the bait and you may not get a strong hit.  Watch your line , sometimes you may see it go just a little sideways , as they take off with the bait.   If you have worms , the bait will stay on the hook longer.  Grass Shrimp, you have to rebait every time.  

I like those little torpedo weights with a swivel with beaned chain, on them and then just addd the hook ( I like the ones with the red bead on them.   

As far as boots just be careful and take your time going out to the hut. If you have a pair of boots with studs great . 

My son was just fishing with his buddies at one the places in Bowdoinham.  They were fishing ~12 feet of water.  Catching from 3-9 feet.  He got 10 and I just cooked them up.  Damn delicious.

He probably got most on his small ice fishing rod jigging.

24 mins ago, ccb said:

Depending on the tide and where you are it could 3' to 8' or more?    As far as weight I would start with a 3/8 oz to 1/2  It depends how fast the tide is running.    There my be set ups in the hut already with weight on them.  Which would be a good starting point.   Watch the lines as you fish  set them at different depths until you get good results.   Also Smelt suck on the bait and you may not get a strong hit.  Watch your line , sometimes you may see it go just a little sideways , as they take off with the bait.   If you have worms , the bait will stay on the hook longer.  Grass Shrimp, you have to rebait every time.  

I like those little torpedo weights with a swivel with beaned chain, on them and then just addd the hook ( I like the ones with the red bead on them.   

As far as boots just be careful and take your time going out to the hut. If you have a pair of boots with studs great . 

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Good information I needed. Preparing for the trip tomorrow. Rigged some light rod with spring bobber (guitar string trick) and already have sibiki rigs and weights.

Will try the string line in the hut and see what they have. 

Boots wise.... err ... have to figure something out on that. Put a ski on? :idea:

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Good information I needed. Preparing for the trip tomorrow. Rigged some light rod with spring bobber (guitar string trick) and already have sibiki rigs and weights.

Will try the string line in the hut and see what they have. 

Boots wise.... err ... have to figure something out on that. Put a ski on? :idea:

They do sell those rubber slip on cleats for ice that can be put on or taken off your boots.

You may want to call the place you have booked as we have had a ton of rain yesterday and last night. The rivers are at or above flood stage and people have been pulling shacks off the rivers all night. 

13 hours ago, ccb said:

CCb the comment you make in regards to watching the line moving side ways is awhole lot better if you placed the line through a small bobber . Simply remove the whole loaded spring and clip and insert the line through the hole. You will be amazed at how much more you can see , just as the smelt begins to take the bait. :howdy:.

12 hours ago, skinnywater said:

Hali jigs and a jig pole is all you need. Caught a little over 100 Wednesday night in 3 hours. Cheers 

Where did you get the Hali jigs around us or did you order via the web?

4 mins ago, makomakoman said:

Where did you get the Hali jigs around us or did you order via the web?

I ordered off the web but I would imagine dag's or sebago bait would have some.