scoobydoo

Well....ummm...this is the hottest and most anticipated reel to hit the market in quite some time.

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jkorgood said:

Hey @scoobydoo, when are you doing an individual review of the Tsunami Shield?

Working on it now..had to stop with the reels in pieces and do something with this concept z

Wonder if standard size bearings could be placed instead of the sloppy bushings, how it would perform. 

Guessing the slop is how they reduce friction in the bushing???

16 mins ago, connman said:

Wonder if standard size bearings could be placed instead of the sloppy bushings, how it would perform. 

If you replace the bushings, then what is the point of paying a premium a bearingless reels? 

Here, they show it makes no noise on the retrieve so I'm not sure whats up with that whether he's keeping it tight on the handle while retrieving rather than casual and loose as you would normally. I'm not a baitcaster guy but from what I can see, the elimination of bearings from the design in conjunction with the distance it can get is it's strong marketing points. I don't think folks will hesitate, heck, watching those casts make me think about getting one for pitching doa's in some grass beds.

Scooby, you provide a fine service to the sol faithful in endeavoring to wade through the hype and BS..  Back in the '90s when I was selling tackle, Quantum/Zebco had a total blitzkrieg marketing strategy.. they had every big name bass pro, and fishing celeb. on their pro staff..  their advertising was everywhere and relentless.. only problem was, most of their products at that time where pure junk.. Snapshot spinning reels, Great white saltwater series, the early "Iron" round baitcasters, and all their low profile baitcasters come to mind.. they where on everyone's lips and sold like hotcakes.. and came back like boomerangs .. and so, as we had a liberal return policy,  by halfway through the season we'd have way more broken Quantums  in the the back room than new inventory... hopefully they've gotten better over time. ..thankfully, most of those models where short lived, while other reels from that time.. like  Shimano's Stradic, Calcutta, Daiwa ss,  Abu ambassadeurs,  etc.  are still going strong....so  I guess my point is  the truly good products tend to hype themselves over time.. and the harder they push the "latest, greatest "  , the more skeptical I become.. 

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

If you replace the bushings, then what is the point of paying a premium a bearingless reels? 

Strictly to test it to see if the manufacturers claims that bushing out perform bearings . Also to see if Scoob can rescue the reel as it seems destined to the rubbish pile as is...

3 hours ago, 3Beard said:

Scooby, you provide a fine service to the sol faithful in endeavoring to wade through the hype and BS..  Back in the '90s when I was selling tackle, Quantum/Zebco had a total blitzkrieg marketing strategy.. they had every big name bass pro, and fishing celeb. on their pro staff..  their advertising was everywhere and relentless.. only problem was, most of their products at that time where pure junk.. Snapshot spinning reels, Great white saltwater series, the early "Iron" round baitcasters, and all their low profile baitcasters come to mind.. they where on everyone's lips and sold like hotcakes.. and came back like boomerangs .. and so, as we had a liberal return policy,  by halfway through the season we'd have way more broken Quantums  in the the back room than new inventory... hopefully they've gotten better over time. ..thankfully, most of those models where short lived, while other reels from that time.. like  Shimano's Stradic, Calcutta, Daiwa ss,  Abu ambassadeurs,  etc.  are still going strong....so  I guess my point is  the truly good products tend to hype themselves over time.. and the harder they push the "latest, greatest "  , the more skeptical I become.. 

What's interesting......13 fishing is seemingly getting a bit snippy about guys reviewing their products.

They left this on someone's channel that compared it somewhat favorably to a curado k in terms of casting

Thanks for the review! We needed a good laugh on a Friday! crying in laughter emoji

Not sure if that comment was meant to be snarky or if it was meant to be positive.....but the backlash it received seems that it was taken as a negative.

The flood of comments and emails I've received from guys who own it and experienced very similar things that I did...is pretty telling.  Quite a few said they're returning it or already have.  

Lots of backlash surrounding the hype train that led up to this reels release....My little youtube channel which averages 200 views per hour.  Is double that since the I put out this video.     This reel is getting more attention than the Tranx.  I think I"m number 1 or 2 on youtube for tranx stuff...and never saw numbers like what the attention this one is drawing......

Should of seen the 13 booth at Icast. Was completely full. My bass buddy made me go check out a few reels, and I thought everyone felt like a sloppy toy reel. Guy behind me started raving about how awesome the reel I just put down was. Still haven't trusted a bass fishermen since Bill Dance and Roland Martin told me to buy junk reels and crappy line as a kid.

9 hours ago, dennysnook said:

Should of seen the 13 booth at Icast. Was completely full. My bass buddy made me go check out a few reels, and I thought everyone felt like a sloppy toy reel. Guy behind me started raving about how awesome the reel I just put down was. Still haven't trusted a bass fishermen since Bill Dance and Roland Martin told me to buy junk reels and crappy line as a kid.

You couldn’t be more right. I would add Jimmy Houston!