thread color change when adding epoxy?

Rate this topic

BroadSoundBound

Hey Guys,

I'm new to rod building and my first project is an old school 8 ft fiberglass surf rod that was in rough shape. I painted the blank, added a new reel seat and replaced dried up cork with some cork tape. I'm using the existing guides and after my first application of epoxy on the guide the white thread is basically transparent. I already used white thread closer towards the butt of the rod just for a decorative thread wrap and it didn't fade. I used the mudhole pro kit for thread wrap epoxy on the guide and that's what changed colors. On the other thread wraps I used 5 min epoxy and the color stayed true. Pics for reference. Not sure what happened. 

greenrod1.jpg

greenrod2.jpg

greenrod3jpg.jpg

greenrod4.jpg

they make thread that does have color preserve in it also I would have not used 5 minute. 1. not as waterproof, 2 will yellow and soften from sun 3 gets air bubbles and keeps them because cures to fast when you use a 1 hour most bubbles will come out the air bubbles may also make it look cloudy also the pro kit was thinner and took longer to dry penetrated threads where the 5 minute cured right on top

Edited by onthefly

Coat it with a coat of Lacquer first and then the color will stay the same.  Or a coat of color presurver  

Do not stir the liquid ( Poly or Varnish )  and if you see any air bubbles, as you brush on.  Then brush over the thread fast and they should go away.  Try using a acid brush, cut the brush at an angle. Stiff brush is better, then a soft one. 

Edited by ccb

11 hours ago, BroadSoundBound said:

Thanks, I'm glad I'm getting starting on a rod that I bought for short money as I'm building a Lamiglas MB84-1E-H next and want that to come up much cleaner then my first attempt. I had no idea I had to treat thread before applying epoxy, learning curve. 

If you have the thread with color preserver  , you would not need to do that extra step.  But all threads don't have color preserver in it.   When you get a thread and are not sure test it first.  Bright red turns to maroon.   Most colors get darker. That MB 84 1E is a great schoolie rod for Stripers.   its my favorite.been using it for 50 years.  rewrapped about 5 times with no reel seat.   

But what is the -H on the end????   MB 84 1E 

Broad...

The "epoxy" meant for thread wraps is not the same as "epoxy" used for structural part of the build - like seat installation.  As Fluke stated above, structural "epoxy" is not to be used on thread work.

As a matter of fact - IMO - 5 min epoxy has no place in rod building at all.

A builder has a few options:

1. Apply thread epoxy directly over plain nylon: as the epoxy penetrates the thread to blank the thread will darken, or not, depending on the color of the blank.  Black blank will produce a darker change.  White blank will not change thread.

2. Apply thread epoxy over NCP nylon thread (thread that has been treated with additives that help it maintain its color.  BUT - the color will be duller than plain nylon).

3. Apply thread epoxy over plain nylon that has received a generous coating of "color-preserver".  The epoxy will sit on top of the color-preserver therefore not penetrating down to the blank and under the guides.  Therefore the wrap/guide/blank assembly will not be as strong as when the thread epoxy penetrates the  the wrap.

I never use color preserver for that reason.  But many builders do use it when they need to keep the wraps colorful.

Additionally - you should take greater care in wrapping such that you don't get overwraps and the thread is packed closer together without thread ends showing through.  Post a picture of a wrap before it is coated with thread epoxy so we can see your thread work and post constructive comments.

Herb